Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Red face I'm a newbie - aren't all Shimano 105 shifters the same?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm trying to get going with road biking and want my first bike to be a used one (in case I later decide that road buking isn't for me, I won't have blown thousands of dollars on a new bike). So I'm looking at a year 2000 Bianchi Giro that's been hanging in a garage for 4 years. Bike shop technician says shifters aren't working properly and that a tune-up may fix them, may not. I need to be prepared to shell out $300 if the bike needs new shifters. They are Shimano 105s. Technician also says they may be hard to find due to bike's age. Do they change from model year to model year? Aren't they all the same?
    Last edited by LiseB; 03-22-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typos

From 2000 they will be 9-speed shifters, and now 105 (and all shifters that Shimano makes) are for 10-speed. So they are different and potentially hard to find.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Thanks for the info!

you could also check Ebay......I pieced together a whole Sram Force set for alittle over $600 off Ebay. There are some 105 9 speed shifters for sale....
    2005? Storck Senario cd 1.0 with SRAM Force, Specialized Romin Comp Gel 155 saddle
    1998 Lemond Tourmalet
    2007 Gary Fisher HKEK

Quote Originally Posted by DebW View Post
    From 2000 they will be 9-speed shifters, and now 105 (and all shifters that Shimano makes) are for 10-speed. So they are different and potentially hard to find.
    Pardon the hijack, but from what I'm seeing on Shimano's website, Sora and Tiagra shifters are still 9-speed... I had to go and research because my 2009 Jamis has 9-speed Sora and I was scared that it was already completely obsolete.
    '09 Jamis Satellite Femme | stock Jamis Road Sport -- road
    '08 Trek 7.2FX | Terry Cite -- commuter
    '77 Raleigh Grand Prix mixte | stock Brooks (vinyl) -- just for fun!

I don't know how much you'd have to pay for the bike, but 300$ + seems not to be a good price for a 11 year old bike?

I have am having the same issue with several of my customers here. They all have 9 speed bikes, and have anywhere from Ultegra-105 drivetrains. As others have mentioned, only Tiagra and Sora are now nine speed. Each year it is becoming increasingly more difficult to get 9 speed shifters, and if you are able to find them, there certainly are less choices.Another option is to use 9 speed bar end shifters, and to continue to use your current shift levers for brake levers only.

My suggestion is that if you intend to "buy" the bike, then I would buy shifters now regardless of whether you need them. At some point, you will need them, and you'll have the peace of mind of having them.

IMO, I would suggest, if any of you own a 9 speed bike, and there are definitely some great ones out there, buy yourself a set of shifters....You can always save your money and buy 10/11 speed, but also remember that your costs will increase dramatically and always will.