Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

A spring in your step! Running 3/22 and on

To disable ads, please log-in.

No run to report. Just thought it was time for a new running thread.

I was supposed to do 8 easy miles yesterday, but was laid-up in bed with a stomach virus. Again. There should be a law that you're allowed to get the stomach flu only once every 5 years.

Today I'm going to do an easy, slow spin. Hopefully I'll have my legs under me so I can get back to running tomorrow.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

I'll post a run! Just got back from a little over 4 miles on a nice, warm spring day.
    K
    katluvr

I got home from Costa Rica just over a week ago, and things are finally starting to settle down! I didn't run in CR because it was way too hot for me, and I refused to spend any time in the gym while I was in paradise. I did do tons of beach walking, snorkeling, and hiking, though.

I managed to sneak in all my long runs by moving one up before I left and doing one late the day I got home. I was pretty happy with that accomplishment.

I had a good 11 mile run outside on Saturday. It was my first long run outside of the season. I ran 4 on the treadmill yesterday, and I was absolutely thrilled that I was able to do all 4 miles at just under a 10 min/mile pace. After 2+ years of plodding along, I feel like I am finally arriving as a runner!
    2010 Scott Speedster Limited/Bontrager Inform RL
    2008 Cannondale Rush 2 Feminine/Terry Butterfly
    2005 Cannondale F400/Terry Butterfly

I did a whopping 3 miles and it was awful. Couldn't breathe (smoke from the fires, maybe?), legs felt like I was running through pudding, and my back felt terrible (tense from work? no idea). Even with that, I think I was going faster than I have in awhile, though I don't wear a garmin or a watch anymore so it's hard to tell.

Nice to have warmer weather and sunlight. Yay!!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

High winds and a looming storm front sent me back to the treadmill this morning. I kept changing speed with every new song on the mp3 player, so it's strange that somehow I ended up doing 6 miles in precisely 54:00.

It should be no surprise, but I've discovered that if I wait until after my run for the first cigarette of the day, I run substantially faster... Like I think I'm doing a 9:30 pace or so, and it's more like 9:00. And yes, I'm working towards quitting entirely-- my deadline is my 40th birthday, 2 weeks from today...

Easy recovery run yesterday - 3.3 miles, 9:45 pace. Hills tomorrow then the 20 miler on Saturday.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Just got back from about a 35-minute trail run...I really need to work on running uphill--I end up walking any but the shortest or most gradual climb. Even on the road. Yesterday was a short run around the neighborhood (about a 2.25-mile loop) and I managed to scare the heck out of a couple of girls who were walking--apparently they didn't hear me coming up behind them so when I ran by (giving them plenty of space) one of them let out this loud SCREAM. Then all three of us busted out laughing about it. I know I don't make that much noise running, but wouldn't you think people would be paying enough attention to hear me before I'm about to pass them? I certainly hear people well before they're that close to me...
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

4 miles in the sleet and hail and wind, 8:30 avg. Another 4 tonight with my running partner, probably about 10:30 min/mile average. Hopefully the weather doesn't deteriorate between now and then or we'll have to cancel.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

10 mile progressive run. Starting at 10 min/miles and ending with 8:45s. Managed to keep somewhat of a conversation going the entire time. It was freaking freezing out. So ready for warmer weather.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Had a brutal head cold all week - managed to eke out 30 minutes on the treadmill on Wednesday and it set me back for 2 more days.
    Today, I was feeling "normal" - so three of us kept our date for a speed workout at the local HS track, leaving from my house. We ran there to warm up, did 3 intervals (2 laps run, 1 lap walk) and then ran home.
    I've done this twice before and they came out as 5.16 and 5.17 miles. Today, I did the same route, and it was 4.9 miles. Go figure. Actually...I think I know what the issue was...we didn't walk one lap of the track when we got there before we started our intervals.
    But, I did them today. They weren't pretty and I had to walk some of the second lap on intervals 1 and 3. I was bringing up the rear on the run home. And I was slower than the 2 other times I did this.
    Still...I lived to tell the tale so I'm pretty happy that I think I can survive next Sunday's 8k road race.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I ran outside for the first time in ages on Thursday. This was on a paved trail and sidewalks around my workplace, which is quite hilly. There is one really long hill. It was much harder than my treadmill runs I'd been doing all winter, and here I thought I was in good shape! I'd been doing 3.5-4 miles on the treadmill but only managed about 2.5 outside (I'm going by time since I have no good way to measure the distance). And my right quad has been sore ever since.

I definitely need to do this more often!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    I ran outside for the first time in ages on Thursday. This was on a paved trail and sidewalks around my workplace, which is quite hilly. There is one really long hill. It was much harder than my treadmill runs I'd been doing all winter, and here I thought I was in good shape! I'd been doing 3.5-4 miles on the treadmill but only managed about 2.5 outside (I'm going by time since I have no good way to measure the distance). And my right quad has been sore ever since.

I definitely need to do this more often!
    that's great emily!!, I love when Spring comes and I'm back running outside I think running outside is so much harder, because you are carrying your weight as opposed to just moving your legs on the treadmill

That being said, I hurt myself on the treadmill a few months back, so I haven't been running I ran on my injury but it was getting worse. I have never ever hurt myself where I couldn't run, but this injury was bad, hurt! A serious pain down the front of my quad, but hurt so bad, I couldn't run... even started to hurt when I walked. Finally two weeks ago I gave up running with a limp, and figured I needed to let it heal. So been doing the stairmaster and elliptical at the gym, uggh... hope I get back to running soon.
    if you don't like sewing, you haven't found the right fabric

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Had a brutal head cold all week - managed to eke out 30 minutes on the treadmill on Wednesday and it set me back for 2 more days.
    Today, I was feeling "normal" - so three of us kept our date for a speed workout at the local HS track, leaving from my house. We ran there to warm up, did 3 intervals (2 laps run, 1 lap walk) and then ran home.
    I've done this twice before and they came out as 5.16 and 5.17 miles. Today, I did the same route, and it was 4.9 miles. Go figure. Actually...I think I know what the issue was...we didn't walk one lap of the track when we got there before we started our intervals.
    But, I did them today. They weren't pretty and I had to walk some of the second lap on intervals 1 and 3. I was bringing up the rear on the run home. And I was slower than the 2 other times I did this.
    Still...I lived to tell the tale so I'm pretty happy that I think I can survive next Sunday's 8k road race.
    I forgot you were doing this; my schedule these days is not very flexible.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I ran 4.5 miles today but never felt into it or loose. I was glad to be outside rather than on the treadmill (the threat of snow missed us).
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Saturday was 16 miles-- but not all in one go. I headed out into a chilly morning very early, planning on going 16-18 miles. But at 11, I stopped off at home, to use the bathroom. My dog was thrilled to see me, mainly because he really need to go also; and by the time we'd both done our business, the wind was picking up and the temperature was dropping. So I ended up doing the last 5 miles later in the day, in the falling snow.

There's a half-marathon here next weekend, and I'm thinking of doing it. Maybe. Depends on the weather, and if I can squeeze in a long run mid-week. It's pretty cool to know I can go out and comfortably run a half, any given day-- just 2.5 years ago I couldn't even run a mile without stopping! And it's weird that the main reason I wouldn't do the half is that I'm hoping/planning on a 20+ mile long run this week...