Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Facebook

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by WindingRoad View Post
    I do wonder how many others have found themselves in a similar predicament.
    I've had periods of time when I used video games as a "drug" to numb me up emotionally. I totally get where you're coming from. If giving up FB is what you need to do for yourself, good for you for recognizing that.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

No games, one group which is my mountain bike team. I refused for a long time but find it is the best way to keep up with who wants to ride or whatever. I have my privacy settings set super high because I agree FB doesn't respect it. I only check in if I am at my gym since they gave me a free membership. It ironically has strengthened several of my biking friendships. I guess it may be that many of them are young and have been using it since college, I graduated a year or so before it launched. I didn't get an account until November when I got a biking sponsor. It is handy but I find my Blackberry is causing me to use it more. Work blocks it because some people couldn't control their usage.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

No games, no groups - I check it once-twice a day but rarely spend more than 10 minutes on it if that long. It LOOKS like I am on there longer as I generally leave the tab open with it when my browser is open. I use it to post little cycling updates or links that I like - I won't get any more personal than that.

I spend FAR more time on TE - and I really need to pull back on that at work

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    No Facebook here. They have no respect for the users' privacy.

If you use it and you don't pay for it, YOU are the product being sold.

Veronica

Do you have an example or two? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by kjay View Post
    Do you have an example or two? Just curious.
    Facebook? Twitter? Google? Yahoo, even? Store loyalty cards?

And if TE isn't data mining us, they're missing a big opportunity ... obviously they take informal notice of what we say here and use it to increase their bottom line, as they should.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Facebook? Twitter? Google? Yahoo, even? Store loyalty cards?

And if TE isn't data mining us, they're missing a big opportunity ... obviously they take informal notice of what we say here and use it to increase their bottom line, as they should.

Guess I don't understand how data mining is necessarily disadvantageous. Any examples of that? Thanks.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Data mining in the social media context is getting into personal details about ourselves. Unless I've misunderstood Oakleaf's point.

Already we're showered with spam junk in other electronic ways.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I just signed up for FB about two weeks ago after resisting for years. It finally got to the point that so many links were on FB that I couldn't get to that I gave in. A lot of these have to do with our condo in Belize -- FB is huge down there as cell phone minutes are very pricey compared to in the states, so people tend to email and FB more than call or text. So many businesses post specials and information via FB only that you almost have to be on.

I have only allowed 7 friends so far, and all those are real friends except for a semi-crazy aunt I have who I didn't really want to be watching me. Before I signed up, I researched how to set my privacy settings super high so that only friends can see anything I do, I can't be found through google or FB searches, and I even managed to block my aunt specifically from reading my status updates or seeing new photos I post. I just don't want to share everything with her!

Most of my friends who are on FB used it to reconnect with high school or college friends, but I really haven't wanted it for that at all. One of my friends is my best friend from HS, but she would be my friend with or without FB. I mostly signed up to connect with businesses, as I mentioned, and to see vacation photos from a few special friends.

So far, other than the first couple days when I was getting it set up, I've only spent 10-15 minutes per day on it, and that I can easily handle.

Now Twitter...another story!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I opened a FB acct to get pictures from my daughter and to check in now and then with my nieces and a few other people.

I use a name that no one at work will recognize, as these are parts of my life that need to be separate. I don't respond to friend requests.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

facebook knows a lot of personal information about you and there is no law that keeps them from sharing that info with anyone and their dog.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

No Facebook here. They have no respect for the users' privacy.

If you use it and you don't pay for it, YOU are the product being sold.
    facebook knows a lot of personal information about you and there is no law that keeps them from sharing that info with anyone and their dog.

Like what, V? Apart from what I choose to post about myself, what else does facebook know about me?

Kjay has very politely asked for specifics. I am asking as well.

- Jo.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Facebook has nothing about me but my name. I did not enter my address, phone number, city, employer. I've also got the privacy settings pretty much locked down, and I check the regularly. Dear Mr Zuckerberg seems to make changes on a whim.

FB was invaluable to me when my Dad was dying. A friend up in Washington sent me messages regularly, helping me cope while I played "the strong one" for the family (she had lost her Dad a couple of years ago). Other friends posted prayers, wishes or just hello, we love you notes. It meant a lot to me.

Like anything else, FB is what you make it. If you post every intimate detail of your life, the world will know it. Same goes for posting on TE......

It was great to hear from DirtDiva on fb a few hours after the Christchurch earthquake and know that she was OK.

Oh dear, is that Mark Zuckerberg sitting on my toilet ...?

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    There is a twitter page somewhere but that's all it's used for..to auto-post some blog article references. Not used to engage in dialogue with folks.

I know it's under-used. But it's just another distraction to me, away from face to face people who are close to me.

After 3 wks., one of my sisters finally emailed me tonight. I think she's been too busy with her babies and working, etc. No, she's not computer illiterate. She does use her Blackberry, etc. Life just overtakes some folks' schedules.

I always find it interesting how much people do write by email in families whereas in my family, we're fundamentally lazy. Phone is the preferred method. I'm the gabber in family in emails, etc. (No one else in my family blogs.)

I haven't even arranged to Skype with any family member, except my dearie and I'm not pushing them hard when some are juggling other priority things. We're aren't Luddites, it's just hard to express some complex family situations in text vs. verbally. Facebook? Oh, forget it. Just getting emails is an achievement in my family and that's not all family members. Not everyone has a computer.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 03-19-2011 at 08:16 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Not everyone has a computer.
    It might be safe to assume that most people who participate in this forum do.