Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

What a sense of accomplishment!

To disable ads, please log-in.

It's a little thing for many people here and in the biking world but I am in the middle years of my life and never before did I ever attempt to change a bike tire. I had a trainer tire on for the winter and spring is moving fast in these parts. Long story short - success and feeling proud as punch!

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/20...-march-17.html

I've posted the story on my blog. So glad spring is here.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Well done! I have yet to change my first tube or tyre. That's brilliant that you had the confidence to have a go and the next time will be easier and quicker. And spring is coming too, bonus!

I completely get your joy and pride. There is some here too after I wrestled both bike and new trailer into my compact car in the pouring rain and drove them both home.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Congratulations! It really does feel good to work on your bike, and you are more confident and free if you can take care of simple problems when you are out and about.

I chuckle at myself sometimes. I do all kinds of DIY work around the house; it's almost comical that doing something simple to a bike thrills me so much.

LOL. Good Job!!!

I bought new (wider-- 700C x 28 instead of 23's) tires for my new Ruby and changed them out myself. My fingers were sore and I had cuts on my fingers from trying to get the bead set, but I did it... OK. I had to do the front wheel twice as I reversed the tread pattern.

Doing your own stuff feels good!!

Shannon
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

Totally understand that. My first 2 miles around my apartment complex on my roadie resulted in a back flat. I felt over the moon after changing it all by myself. So much so that I decided to get new tires, which meant I was going to have to change both front and back. Know I was very lucky to do all three tire changes in my apartment, but feel confident if I have an issue on the road. Congratulations!
    200x Electra Townie 24D/Brooks B67

Thank you to all for your kind words and sharing your own experiences of accomplishments, when we share our stories of success we help boost one another and inspire each other to try something we might not have. I find it to be a motivation to read about everyday women who try something new and succeed at it and gives me the confidence to try it myself and I am sure this is true for others.

Follow the link to this thread about just such a person…a 90 year old gentleman who has over 120,000 miles in his saddle and how it inspired a woman to cross the USA at 70 plus years of age. I finally had the chance to meet with Joe Datsko.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=41381
    Bike Writer

Pam, I know exactly what you mean, sometimes it does not matter the size of the project to illicit that feeling of accomplishment. I too have been a DIY'er around the home. Previously my ex husband and I had a history of knocking down homes and building new ones in their place and I picked up all kinds of skills and did projects that I could never have imagined that I would.

I've done demo work with a jack hammer on concrete, built decks, installed fixtures and done finish carpentry work. And here a little thing like a tire makes me feel on top of the world. It's not the size of the task it's the self sufficiency that comes from the task that is it's own reward.
    Bike Writer

Congratulations! I think the first couple of times is the most difficult as far as getting started. Much better to practice at home than on the side of the road, in the rain, when the phone doesn't get any reception...(which would be my luck, yours would no-doubt be better)

Yup doing things yourself always leaves a feeling of euphoria. Nothing like doing things right yourself!

Good for you! It is no small thing for many. I am finally at a point where I feel pretty confident in changing a tube ... but it's putting the back wheel on that still freaks me out a little ... after 4 1/2 years of riding. Haven't had to do it enough to really get the hang of it. I can do it, but it generally takes a while. DH did a hands on lesson with me about six months ago, having me take it off and put it on and take it off and put it on several times. However, 6 months later, I still haven't had to do it for reals yet and who knows if I'll remember what he taught me when I need it?! I guess I should have another practice session at home.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra