Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Saddles for Herpes Sufferer

To disable ads, please log-in.

I started riding when I was dating my hubby 16 yrs. ago. Four yrs. later, (a year after we were married) I got herpes. I think my bike hubby is a carrier, he had bad shingles once. Thank goodness he has never had it. Now I have a job with huge stress, a great 10 yr. old and more outbreaks. I had to go off Valtrex because it was making me very dizzy, after years of being on and off of it. So I am trying Lysine again. I am thinking about a saddle with a huge cutout - maybe even a man's saddle. I have an old Terry butterfly that was on my old road bike. I bought a new Trek Madone so I have been riding with the Bontrager WSD saddle that came on the bike. I love the Maddie, the saddle is good in the back, but chafes the front where I have the problem. Any recommendations? What about the Selle SLR Lady Gel Flow, the Selle Glider or SLK? I can't be the only woman who rides with this problem. I can't find anything on the internet. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
    Last edited by bikemom29+; 03-16-2011 at 07:29 PM. Reason: too much personal disclosure

I like my Adamo Typhoon saddle. It might suit your needs. Riding with an outbreak must be incredibly painful. Kudos to you for getting on the bike anyway. I hope you find a saddle that works.

Roxy

Quick Google search on Adamo yielded this link:
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDcQ8wIwAg#
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Good for you for sticking with your biking! This last summer I tried both the Selle Italia Diva and Lady (Ldy) Gel flow saddles. The cutout for the Lady Gel flow is more narrow and shorter - and perfect for me. I suspect that it would not work for you in a breakout. I had to return the Diva as I found the cutout to be too long and too wide for me and caused certain....problems.

I've never ridden an Adamo saddle, but there are women here for whom Adamo works well - it certainly removes any problems with the nose of the saddle!

Herpes and shingles are different viruses and different diseases, but neither makes riding a bike much fun!

Adamo saddles might be a good place to look for a super-giant cutout. I'd also look for something with either very little padding or very firm padding, to avoid chafing and prevent excess padding from bulging out into areas where you don't want contact. Be sure the saddle supports your sit-bones completely, so you don't end up weightbearing anywhere else.

I had chicken pox and am dreading the day I might have those nasty Varicella zoster cooties leap out of somnolence and give me shingles. People tell me it's just miserable. You have my sympathy!
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 03-17-2011 at 05:28 AM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I try not to get on the recumbent soap box. But, I just wanted to say, if you get to that point, consider a recumbent before you consider stop riding.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

While I don't have a herpes problem, I did have a lot of trouble with soft tissue rubbing raw the first few years I was riding despite huge saddle cut outs.

Since you mentioned liking the rear of your Bontrager - you could try the Bontrager InForm RL WSD. It's the saddle I use on all my bikes. The 'dip' in the front is positioned just right that it makes a cutout unnecessary AND because there is no actual cut out, there are no extra edges to rub either. It's also nice and firm so there is not a lot of padding to break down or 'squish' into places it doesn't belong.

It's a seriously AWESOME saddle if it fits your anatomy.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    While I don't have a herpes problem, I did have a lot of trouble with soft tissue rubbing raw the first few years I was riding despite huge saddle cut outs.

Since you mentioned liking the rear of your Bontrager - you could try the Bontrager InForm RL WSD. It's the saddle I use on all my bikes. The 'dip' in the front is positioned just right that it makes a cutout unnecessary AND because there is no actual cut out, there are no extra edges to rub either. It's also nice and firm so there is not a lot of padding to break down or 'squish' into places it doesn't belong.

It's a seriously AWESOME saddle if it fits your anatomy.
    Along those same lines, there is also the newer Bontrager Affinity RL WSD or Affinity RXL WSD. I have a friend with a new Project One Madone, and the Affinity was the stock saddle on that bike and I haven't heard one complaint about it yet.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

bikemom29+, we can all recommend 100s of saddles but the reality is that women come in different shapes, not just hips but other areas if you know what I mean The only way you will find the best saddle is by trying several saddles, this can get quite expensive so try borrowing saddles or find shops that offer test saddle programs, do this until you find the best saddle for you. Also make sure to use good chamois cream (super important). I personally use Endur-It chamois cream and in my opinion is the best I've used (and I've used almost all the creams) as it really stays on for hours.

Being new to cycling I have seen posts on the chamois cream. Not sure when and why to use this, please advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauralyn View Post
    Being new to cycling I have seen posts on the chamois cream. Not sure when and why to use this, please advise.
    Personally, I use chamois cream on every ride. For me, it helps with chafing and other irritation issues that often occur on longer rides. I use a cream called TBS - That Butt Stuff. I apply it directly to my skin and also to "key" areas on my chamois padding. Some people find that they don't need chamois cream, but I am convinced that it aids in my comfort on long days in the saddle.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    Personally, I use chamois cream on every ride. For me, it helps with chafing and other irritation issues that often occur on longer rides. I use a cream called TBS - That Butt Stuff. I apply it directly to my skin and also to "key" areas on my chamois padding. Some people find that they don't need chamois cream, but I am convinced that it aids in my comfort on long days in the saddle.
    Thank you. I guess I will try this, I did not have issues last summer, I ride about 20 miles but want to increase.

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    +1 on all of this - and I also use the same cream. TBS is great stuff!

I just learned how to ride a little more than a year ago - and I didn't need chamois cream at first. Indeed I assumed I was one of those who wouldn't need it - until my mileage started getting over 25 miles. I now use it for every ride as it greatly enhances my comfort and the ability to ride further and longer.

That Butt Stuff is definitely the best one I've found...for my butt. For my really long rides (metric centuries and further) I will also smear a small amount of Brave Soldier Friction Zone directly on the areas that are prone to give me the most issue.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by Lauralyn View Post
    I believe women should always use chamois cream in order to prevent issues. I've tried TBS( The Butt Stuff) also, but for me the best and longer lasting is Endur-It.

Along those same lines, there is also the newer Bontrager Affinity RL WSD or Affinity RXL WSD. I have a friend with a new Project One Madone, and the Affinity was the stock saddle on that bike and I haven't heard one complaint about it yet.
    +1 on this!! also +1 on the no cut outs to prevent pressure points... as far as the Affinity saddles go I havent put many miles on these saddles but when I rode them on both the road and the mtn bike I loved them, as far as different sized women go if you go to your LBS they'll measure your sit bones (not your butt!) and the Bontrager saddles come in different withs to accomidate different sized sit bones.

kudos on sticking with the bike!! I had an aweful reaction to something "down there" a few days ago and was pretty miserable on my bike, I'm sure it's no comparison but it definetly wasn't fun