Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Future of (fresh) milk

To disable ads, please log-in.

Talks about disappearing dairy farms...

This caught my eye too:

Since 1980, milk consumption per capita has dropped by more than 22 percent in the U.S., while consumption of “liquid refreshment beverages” (including energy drinks, bottled teas, bottled water and “value-added water” as well as soda) has doubled.
    The dramatic shift to sugary drinks among young people has not gone unnoticed
    http://www.eatingwell.com/food_news_...future_of_milk
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Meanwhile, for those who even believe that dairy products are an appropriate food for adult humans - real raw milk, when you can even get it, has to be the subject of elaborate "cow co-ownership" schemes, labeled as "pet food," more difficult to get than cocaine and nearly as highly criminalized.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Interesting article.... it made me get up and go get a glass of milk.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Meanwhile, for those who even believe that dairy products are an appropriate food for adult humans - real raw milk, when you can even get it, has to be the subject of elaborate "cow co-ownership" schemes, labeled as "pet food," more difficult to get than cocaine and nearly as highly criminalized.
    We've had a cow-share for over a year now... I love it. We're not even a super-organic family, but raw milk over pasteurized is something we feel pretty strongly about.

And yes, buying raw milk is illegal in most states, including Indiana where we live, but the cow-share itself is fine. I wouldn't say it's elaborate though - just a simple contract with a family-owned organic farm. It comes out to about $6/gallon, but the price depends on how much our cows produce (we have 2 shares).

Edited to add: the wait-list for cow-shares, at least around here, is seriously long. We waited over a year for our first share, and another 6 months for our second.
    Last edited by trista; 03-10-2011 at 06:29 PM.
    ~ working mom to 3 little girls ~

Roadie... 2010 54cm Trek Madone 4.5, Bontrager inForm

While I can get raw milk without much trouble here, the common belief is that you risk your health if you drink it (without cooking it before). To an extent that I can not google "raw milk" and get reasonable results (there was a huge affair about two years ago where people died after eating cheese sold by a big supermarket. The supermarket and the media coverage sold the whole thing as "raw milk cheese scandal" even though the deadly cheese was NO raw milk cheese but pasteurized... I don't even want to say any more about that...).

Drinking raw milk seems to be more common among health conscious people in the US it seems to me? What are the benefits (compared to drinking fresh pasteurized milk)?

Nowadays it's even getting difficult to buy fresh milk in supermarkets, because it gets displaced by ESL milk silently.

It's true raw milk can carry pathogens. So can raw vegetables (witness all the recent salmonella outbreaks) and meat - but no one is talking about banning sprouts, sushi, spinach or carpaccio. It's safe growing that really protects public health, but safe growing would mean a huge economic hit to the industrialized milk system, and they REALLY don't want to do that. Read about it some time, you may never consume store bought dairy products ever again.

You read a lot about theory, but as with everything related to food, there's so much suppression by industry that it's hard to know what's true. I'm sure there are a lot of people who compare industrialized, chemically grown, corn-fed and consequently antibiotic-laden, rBGH-enhanced pasteurized milk from the grocery store, with the raw milk they get from the grass-fed cows down the road, and that's obviously not a fair comparison.

All I know is that pasteurization changes the protein structure, it's proteins that trigger allergies, and I can handle raw dairy products much better than I can pasteurized. I'm still sensitive to raw cow's milk, but the reaction is much more muted than it is with pasteurized milk.

ETA: Susan, what is "ESL" milk? In the USA it stands for "English as a Second Language" and I don't think that's it.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 03-11-2011 at 05:42 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Ditto everything that Oakleaf said about raw milk.

Personally, I think raw milk tastes better too, but that might just be my prejudice showing through.

I'm going to guess that ESL means 'extended shelf life' milk - like the Parmalat milk you can get here in the US.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    +1 Oakleaf.

During spring/summer months, I buy raw milk from the Farmer's Market. It's an illegal transaction in Oklahoma (you can only buy on the farm from the farmer- to transport it to the FM and sell it is illegal for the farmer- but he's in his 80's and says he's not going to stop until they throw him in jail).
    I find it tastes better, although you have to shake it to mix the cream that rises to the top. The farmer said that in 60 years of selling his raw milk there was only one time he was investigated after someone got sick and said they bought raw milk from him. Turns out it was bacteria on the lettuce from a restaurant that got the little girl sick- not the raw milk.

My biologist friends tell me that I'm taking my health in my hands by drinking raw milk, but I feel that same way about ultra-pastuerized milk (highly processed milk that has chalk added back into it to give it it's white color).
    And like Oak said- bacteria is found on raw vegetables, too. I think I'm fine.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Thank you for your explanations.

Sorry I thought it would be "ESL" milk in english too.

Raw milk is sold by farmers or in organic grocery stores, it's just plain milk as it comes out of the cow
    Pasteurized milk gets heated to 75° (Celsius) for 30 seconds.
    ESL milk gets filtered mechanically and heated to 85 to 120°. Is has an extended shelf life and is therefore favored by the supermarket-chains. It has no benefits for the customer (if you open it it lasts as long as ordinary milk) and some drawbacks.

There was something like a paradigm change some years ago. "Milk" used to be pasteurized. Then they introduced "longer fresh" (=ESL) milk. Nowadays you have to look very carefully because if the label says just "Milk" it's often really ESL milk. Pasteurized Milk now is sold as "Fresh milk". But ESL gets also sold as "Longer Fresh" or "Maxifresh". It's just very confusing and misleading.

Thats why I tried to find out more about raw milk. I buy raw milk at the organic grocery store now, but I pasteurize it at home.

What you said, Oakleaf, is so true:
    "You read a lot about theory, but as with everything related to food, there's so much suppression by industry that it's hard to know what's true."
    And it makes research hard.
    Last edited by Susan; 03-11-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    Drinking raw milk seems to be more common among health conscious people in the US it seems to me? What are the benefits (compared to drinking fresh pasteurized milk)?
    We once had a really bad year where my hubby was hospitalized with pneumonia with pleurisy & fluid in the lungs, one of my daughters had pneumonia twice, and other random illnesses, so I started researching ways to boost our immunity. I came across a lot of information on raw milk and how the antibodies in it can help build your immune system (it's more complicated than that, but I am no scientist). I figured I'd give it a try. Since we started, no one in the house has been sick. It may be a coincidence, but I'm not going back to store-bought milk. There are long-term health effects to drinking raw milk as well.

Our cows are tested regularly and are only pasture-fed. The farm has a 100-yard perimeter of unused grass as a border, to keep out any possible non-organic matter from other farms. I have no concerns about pathogens in the milk.
    ~ working mom to 3 little girls ~

Roadie... 2010 54cm Trek Madone 4.5, Bontrager inForm

I get pasteurised milk delivered to my doorstep by the local dairy. It comes in glass bottles which they take away again for re-use. I get quite annoyed about the amount of plastic waste generated by supermarkets who sell milk super-cheap to get people into the store.

I haven't had raw milk in ages, although it's not illegal here it's not widespread. I think I've seen it at supermarkets once or twice. I adore unpasteurised cheeses though and had a hard time in pregnancy giving up some of my favourites.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

milk

There's a milk war going on in Australia & it'll be very interesting to see what the ACCC has to say.

BTW..I don't buy regular milk & stay far far far away from Coles...

Just some links to read or listen to. If you want more info, just venture to the ABC or SBS sites.

http://www.abc.net.au/insidebusiness...1/s3162676.htm

http://www.theage.com.au/national/mi...308-1bmkr.html

http://abc.gov.au/rn/breakfast/stories/2011/3159967.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/breakfast/s...11/3158824.htm