Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question cassette lock ring

To disable ads, please log-in.

When you purchase a new cassette, does the lock ring piece come with it? Or do you need to purchase this piece seperately from the stack of gear rings?

I believe I have everything I need to remove the cassette on my bike: cassette guide tool, chainwhip, wrench... except a torque measuring wrench.

I've had a diff set of wheels I've wanted to switch up. I am thinking about just getting an extra cassette to leave on the second wheel set so I wouldn't hafta switch it up every time.

TYIA.

Yep, it does.

I've never used a torque wrench to change a cassette, mostly because my torque wrench and my cassette tool don't play well together.

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    When you purchase a new cassette, does the lock ring piece come with it?
    Yes
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Some come with, some do not. Even within a manufacturer - some Campy cassettes do, some don't. Usually, you can just use the lock ring from the old cassette, but that won't work for you, now, will it?

From Competitive Cyclist:
    If you've purchased an 11/21 or 11/23 Campagnolo 10-speed cassette, they supply you with an 11t-specific lockring. If you've purchased one in any other ratio, they supply no lockring. Why? Because every 10-speed Campagnolo rear hub and prebuilt rear wheel was supplied with a lockring that functions with 12t and 13t high gear cassettes. These lockrings are non-interchangeable, i.e. the 11t lockring won't work with cassettes that start with a 12t or 13t cog. They're made from steel with a 27mm O.D.

These Campagnolo Cassette Lockrings are for 10-speed cassettes (all 11-speed Campagnolo cassettes come with lockrings).
    Last edited by Pedal Wench; 03-09-2011 at 06:32 AM.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    Yep, it does.

I've never used a torque wrench to change a cassette, mostly because my torque wrench and my cassette tool don't play well together.
    Go to Sears and buy a 1" socket with a 3/8 drive and you can torque the lock ring tool.

11 tooth and 12 tooth cogs need a different lock ring.

Quote Originally Posted by DebW View Post
    Go to Sears and buy a 1" socket with a 3/8 drive and you can torque the lock ring tool.
    Brilliant....why didn't I think of that?!? I wonder if DH already has one.....

Thanks, Deb!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
    Some come with, some do not. Even within a manufacturer - some Campy cassettes do, some don't. Usually, you can just use the lock ring from the old cassette, but that won't work for you, now, will it?
    You took the words right out of my mouth.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Thanks... you guys rock!

I did search the old TE threads, and watch some YouTube vids... but couldn't quite tell. And... OK, hopefully I will be ok without the torque wrench.

I'd love to be able to toally wrench my own bikes. It's just the confidence after the fact if things are put back together / tightened correctly to be safe to ride. Plus, having the hand strenghth sometimes is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DebW View Post
    OK... that has me curious... I wouldn't mind investing in a torque measuring wrench... but wasn't sure what is best to buy... sounds like you can adapt them also?

Sorry, little side chat here lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post

From Competitive Cyclist:
    If you've purchased an 11/21 or 11/23 Campagnolo 10-speed cassette, they supply you with an 11t-specific lockring. If you've purchased one in any other ratio, they supply no lockring. Why? Because every 10-speed Campagnolo rear hub and prebuilt rear wheel was supplied with a lockring that functions with 12t and 13t high gear cassettes. These lockrings are non-interchangeable, i.e. the 11t lockring won't work with cassettes that start with a 12t or 13t cog. They're made from steel with a 27mm O.D.

These Campagnolo Cassette Lockrings are for 10-speed cassettes (all 11-speed Campagnolo cassettes come with lockrings).
    My components on my main roadie are Shimano Ultergra... 50/34 compact with 12-25 cassette 10 speed.

I bought the Park tools... chainwhip, wrench, and Shimano specific guide pin tool for cassette.

Just looking at getting another 12-25 cassette same Shimano Ultergra. And the wheel set was bought with the Shimano compatible hub.

Sounds like what I am looking at, I'm good to go.
    Last edited by Miranda; 03-09-2011 at 06:42 AM.

I wouldn't mind investing in a torque measuring wrench... but wasn't sure what is best to buy... sounds like you can adapt them also?
    How about this?

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...4&blockType=L4

It'll last forever as long as you treat it as a precision measuring tool and not use it for general wrenching. It'll never go out of calibration because it depends upon the simple principal of bending the handle.

A 3/8 socket of the right size for your cassette tool is all you need to "adapt it".

Just looking at getting another 12-25 cassette same Shimano Ultergra.

Sounds like what I am looking at, I'm good to go.
    Shimano cassettes come with a lockring.

Thanks for answering to the original Q & bout the torque wrench. I saw a couple options Park Tools offers, but just wasn't sure what was what. Looks good... I'm pretty good at taking care of my gear stuff, so good to know it would last. Appreciate the input.

Quote Originally Posted by laura* View Post
    How about this?

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...4&blockType=L4

It'll last forever as long as you treat it as a precision measuring tool and not use it for general wrenching. It'll never go out of calibration because it depends upon the simple principal of bending the handle.

A 3/8 socket of the right size for your cassette tool is all you need to "adapt it".

Shimano cassettes come with a lockring.

Torque wrenches (like all other measuring instruments) are most accurate in the middle of their range. So you want to look at what fasteners you'll be torquing (cassette lockrings, seatpost clamp, handlebar/stem clamps get the most installation/removal on bicis), find the torque specs for each of them, and get a wrench with the appropriate range.

The drive and the socket are sized together also (to transmit the torque appropriately), but you can use an adapter within reason. The 4 mm and 5 mm Allen sockets you'll need for the clamps normally take a 1/4" drive, whereas the 1" hex socket for the cassette tool will take a 3/8" drive. (You'll probably see 1" sockets with 1/2" drive for automotive applications, but there's nothing on a bici that needs a 1/2" drive!) You can get a 3/8"-to-1/4" adapter to use the smaller sockets with your 3/8" drive wrench - should be fine for 4mm and 5 mm.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Just checking back in on my thread here... ok, thanks that's good to know. I figured there had to be some range of what you could use with what.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Torque wrenches (like all other measuring instruments) are most accurate in the middle of their range. So you want to look at what fasteners you'll be torquing (cassette lockrings, seatpost clamp, handlebar/stem clamps get the most installation/removal on bicis), find the torque specs for each of them, and get a wrench with the appropriate range.

The drive and the socket are sized together also (to transmit the torque appropriately), but you can use an adapter within reason. The 4 mm and 5 mm Allen sockets you'll need for the clamps normally take a 1/4" drive, whereas the 1" hex socket for the cassette tool will take a 3/8" drive. (You'll probably see 1" sockets with 1/2" drive for automotive applications, but there's nothing on a bici that needs a 1/2" drive!) You can get a 3/8"-to-1/4" adapter to use the smaller sockets with your 3/8" drive wrench - should be fine for 4mm and 5 mm.