Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Duration of Trainer Workout

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just got a trainer and a question popped into my head after a couple of sessions on it. Do your trainer workouts last a shorter time than actually riding on the road? Usually, I'd last about 50km on the road usually in an hour 50 minutes, before I'm totally pooped out but on the trainer, I notice that I'd last maybe 25km in 45 minutes at most. Is that ok? Granted, I also notice that I recover faster from a trainer workout so I can do it everyday instead of having to take a day off every 2 days religiously but I wonder if that's going to do me any good. Anyone?

To answer your question, it truly depends on what type pf training you are doing on the trainer. Are you doing intervals or some sort of DVD program? What type of effort are you riding on the trainer?

Typically, yes, my trainer workouts are shorter. Mostly because I lose my mind... I occasionally do some long (1.5-2 hours) base-building sessions on the trainer, but most workouts are under an hour and higher intensity.

I never do more than 45 minutes on the trainer. I am doing a structured program that includes all kinds of drills. Some days I only do 20-30 minutes of spinning, usually as a warm up to core work or yoga.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

It is difficult to ride indoors, no doubt about it. Other than your objective for the day, give the space where your trainer sets some personality other than your trainer. Can you hang some great photos, perhaps some sort of momento of an upcoming goal that you have this season... race, tour etc... I know this may sound crazy, but make the space inviting and about something other than the trainer. Are you doing trainer DVD'S, can you watch cycling/races or DVD"S? Sometimes having something to look at while riding takes just a bit of attention away from what you are doing at the moment. Could you join a trainer group or invite friends over to ride as well?

Lastly, remember to have a fan in the room; we sometimes tend to forget that outside we have air passing by us... inside we need the same thing... still need to cool our body down.

Sounds like you are on the right track... keep going!

Hi all, thanks for the answers. Right now, I'm doing intervals. Usually, its a 10 -15 minute warm up, followed by as many 1 minute intervals as I can tolerate, or a set of 1-2-3-2-1 minute intervals and followed by a regular ride for anything from 5 to 15 minutes, depending on when my legs bomb out.

I have a lovely view of the beach from where my trainer sits. Usually, I'll plug in my iPod and put on a Tour de France video to entertain me. I'm thinking of forking out for a Sufferfest video but think it might get expensive since I'll be bored staring at the same videos over and over again. I've stuck a fan near my trainer to try and keep cool and have plenty of water. Tonight's workout was much better, I managed to hold out a full 40 minutes before I needed to take a short break.

Quote Originally Posted by alexis_the_tiny View Post
    I'm thinking of forking out for a Sufferfest video but think it might get expensive since I'll be bored staring at the same videos over and over again.
    Best money you can spend if you want to stay motivated on the trainer. I've got three that I rotate (and about to get a 4th) and I'm not bored - in fact, I look forward to them because they're motivating.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

I stay on for about 50 minutes. I stream a tv show off hulu and use the commercial breaks and such to do intervals.

Probably some sufferfest video or something like that would be a better workout for me. But I probably wouldn't actually get on it if that was what I was doing.

Yes, I ride a lot harder on road.

Although you probably already do this; I would definietly vary your routine. It sounds like you are doing intervals, are you also using either power or heart rate to guage your workout? Are you also getting in some aerobic/receovery days as well?

Sounds like you have a great set up for your trainer!! The sufferfest videos are something that you can download, so not as expensive as some. I own LOTS of DVD's, mostly training DVD's and they keep me occupied even if I'm doing a recovery/aerobic day.

Keep going... sounds like you are well on your way!

Trainer workouts should be shorted as they really are boring . And there is no such pleasure in doing them to . They really blow my mind off .

I use a heart rate monitor and a speedometer(although I doubt it is much good on a trainer) to get data from training. I pretty much stick to intervels, either by heart rate - pushing my heart rate to 180 for a couple of minutes then resting at 160, or by gearing/effort - large chain ring, heavy gear for a no. of minutes, then rest by spinning in a small ring, light gear. I guess it'll have to do until I get a power meter or a computer trainer.

If I work out on the trainer, my legs recover fast enough for me to ride 4 weekdays a row with a rest day doing yoga before road rides on Saturdays and Sundays. I also throw in yoga sessions as I see fit if I wake up feeling a bit more sore or anything.

Found some videos of the Flech Wallone and Liege-Baston-Liege rides on Youtube and downloaded them. Four of them make up a nice 40 minute video, just ride for trainer sessions!!

About 45 minutes is as long as I can take. Good music makes the biggest difference. I am starting to realize from this thread and another one I recently read on a different site that I am not warming up nearly long enough. I guess I want to get right into the workout part after just 3 or 4 minutes of warm up.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Typically my indoor rides will be about 50-75% of duration outside. Anywhere from an hour-90 for most. There have been seasons with early events and impassable roads that meant I did some longish indoor sessions.

Breaking up the workout with intervals and intensity helps keep you busy and the time goes faster too.

I've found that having a huge fan in front of me when I'm on the trainer has made all the difference recently. Last winter, I could barely stand to be on it for 30-45 minutes (max!) and didn't understand how any sane person could ever do more. This past winter though, I got up to 3-3.5 hour rides on the trainer. Not ideal, but with a gigantic fan and a football game on tv, it was tolerable...

I started spin class this winter, the effort is way harder (trainer or spin) so it is shorter. If I am training at home I actually like Robbie Ventura's videos. My teammate said Chris Carmichael's are good too. Might try to find them used on Amazon or sale since it is getting out of trainer season for many people.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan