Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamix!

Vitamix!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, my Breville blender bit the dust. So, I decided to go for it, and get a Vitamix blender. Williams and Sonoma has a 90 day return policy, so it was a win win for me.

I love this thing! We have been making smoothies twice a day and they are absolutley yummy. Finally, an easy way to chock down spinach! Here is my favorite recipe:

1 cup hemp milk
    2 scoops Trader Joes hemp powder
    1/2 cup red grapes
    5 frozen strawberries
    1/4 c of blueberries
    3 slices of mango
    1 cup of spinach

The blender cleans up super easy. The trick is NOT to use ice cubes if you are using frozen fruit. And chop up pieces of frozen banana and large strawberries.

I see this blender as an investment in my health. You can get the 200 at the Costco road shows. All the motors are exactlly the same on all models.
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent

Have fun with that blender!

My fav way to eat spinach is in spinach pasta. No choking down needed; it is all slurping up.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I wish they still sold them with the stainless steel jars. I'd be all over one. With the polycarbonate, meh.

I should've kept my Champion juicer, too. I'm about this close to buying a new one ... if I could even imagine where I'd put it in my kitchen. Maybe whenever we remodel, it'll be with a juicer bar.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Want....
    Be yourself, to the extreme!

I LOVE my Vitamix and make smoothies all the time ... using Choc. Hemp Powder, Frozen Strawberries, a Banana, Plain Yogurt, and some Hemp Milk. Yum!! Tastes just like a chocolate strawberry shake. I also add a couple of ice cubes (even though the strawberries are frozen), they add a little texture to the drink.

I also have a Champion Juicer from the late 80's. It's nice to run frozen strawberries and bananas through the homogenizer which makes an ice cream-like fruit blend.
    Specialized Ruby/Selle Italia Flow
    1991 Specialized Sirrus, steel frame
    Dahon Eco C7
    Surly Long Haul Trucker/Terry Fly RS
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

My Champion juicer was early '80s vintage. Sold it to some friends of my first husband. I hope it's still in a good home, whether with them or someone else!

Kmehrzad, will yours de-seed raspberries? Every food mill I've tried for that - motorized or cranked - has completely locked up on the seeds. I thought I'd killed my Kitchen Aid stand mixer with the strainer attachment - it took a lot of coaxing to get it apart once it locked. I never tried it with the Champion.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 03-07-2011 at 03:28 AM.

Love my vitamix which I've had for 10 or more years. GREAT way to sneak stuff into kids (smoothies) and love making my green smoothies in it. Awesome job at pureeing soups, better than an immersion blender.

Linda
    The world is like a mirror you see? smile and your friends smile back.

Out of the blue, my folks sent me their Championship Juicer when they moved to Mexico. I never would have gotten one for myself, but I really love it!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Kmehrzad, will yours de-seed raspberries? Every food mill I've tried for that - motorized or cranked - has completely locked up on the seeds. I thought I'd killed my Kitchen Aid stand mixer with the strainer attachment - it took a lot of coaxing to get it apart once it locked. I never tried it with the Champion.
    I've never tried de-seeding raspberries. In fact, I love the seeds in raspberries and blackberries so I wouldn't want to get rid of them.

Did you ever use the homogenizer feature? It's makes a wonderfully refreshing frozen fruit concoction one can enjoy during hot summer days.
    Dahon Eco C7
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

Ditto - love mine too. Best thing is clean up - I put a little hot water & dish soap in the blender, put the lid & mixer thingie on it & turn it on. Voila. Just rinse & dry.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I agree about the BPH container, I too wish it were glass. That being said, when I begin to make soups, I will not pour hot water in it. If it isn't hot enough after the 6 minute run, then I will microwave the soup.

I just got some cantaloupe and am going to make a sorbet. The guy at Costco demonstrating it put cabbage in the sorbet (a great way to reduce colon cancer!). Just a small piece. And he only added a bit of honey, no a boat load of sugar like most sorbets.
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent

Quote Originally Posted by kmehrzad View Post
    I've never tried de-seeding raspberries. In fact, I love the seeds in raspberries and blackberries so I wouldn't want to get rid of them.

Did you ever use the homogenizer feature? It's makes a wonderfully refreshing frozen fruit concoction one can enjoy during hot summer days.
    I don't mind some seeds, but wild berries are always more seed-y than domesticated varieties, and in a dry year there's literally more seed than flesh. It makes for a very crunchy jam or sorbetto if you don't strain at least half of the berries, preferably more.

Which appliance has the homogenizer? I've never used it.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I don't mind some seeds, but wild berries are always more seed-y than domesticated varieties, and in a dry year there's literally more seed than flesh. It makes for a very crunchy jam or sorbetto if you don't strain at least half of the berries, preferably more.

Which appliance has the homogenizer? I've never used it.
    The Champion Juicer becomes the homogenizer. Just run frozen fruit through the tube, push with the wooden plunger and it comes out like soft ice cream. There are recipes online but I usually blend frozen strawberries and a frozen banana.

I love crunchy jam, by the way. Yummm! You can eat it for hours as you continue crunching down on the seeds that somehow get lost in your mouth.
    Dahon Eco C7
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

Oooh, I didn't realize the new Vita-Mix blenders have a copolyester jar, not polycarbonate.

I'd still rather stainless for a blender ... but copolyester is tested free of estrogenic and androgenic activity, and I'm comfortable with my copolyester Camelbak bottle.

I'm really wanting to order a vitamix after reading the thread and browsing their site. It's expensive but sounds like it's worth the money. I suppose the only place to buy the latest one on the market is on their 'official site' or does anyone know of a different online site that sells the latest and newest models...