Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anybody use a TRX suspension trainer?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been using one for 16 weeks with my personal trainer. I just bought one for home and was wondering if anyone has exercises that are particularly good for cycling.
    2008 Specialized Globe Sport
    2009 Specialized Sequoia Elite

We use one in a coached cycling class that I'm taking. Last night was my first experience with it, but I am really tempted to get one for our home! What a fantastic tool!

We were focused on core and lower body last night, so we did single leg squats, lunges with our non-working leg in the straps (behind us) and then two types of planks with our legs suspended. AWESOME stuff!

I don't have any particular cycling specific workouts, but I would think that most lower body and core stuff that requires a stabilization effort would be helpful.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I have looked at them and drooled wishing that it might work in my home.

My question is how would you put the strap up and in a secure place in the house? If trees are availble that is a whole nother issue.

Sorry for the hijack....

I'm not aware of any other specific cycling exercises for them either. Great for general purpose stuff though. They look very difficult if your using them.

Red Rock

There are two home anchor solutions. One is the over the door adapter which is what I have. The other is the cross anchor you screw into a joist/rafter or the header of a door. The over the door option has some limitations in range of motion because your feet hit the door which is kind of annoying but it's currently my only option. I can't wait to try it outdoors. This thing has made an amazing difference especially in my upper body which is my weak area. Totally killer exercises. It even kicks my trainer's butt and she's 14 years younger than me. Try the abdominal crunch-push up combo...guaranteed to make you cry or worse. I don't eat within 2 hours of using it or I pay the price.
    2008 Specialized Globe Sport
    2009 Specialized Sequoia Elite

TRX is awesome. I love it and do it at least once a week at my gym. I think as with any weight training activity it is necessary for cyclists.

I think using it for squats is good for leg strength, such as squatting. Squatting to standing and doing flys? (lift your arms into a "v" while keeping resistance) or "chickens" where you raise your elbows to shoulder height has done wonders for my shoulder and arm definition. Given I mainly do cycling I have to work to tone anything other than my legs!

I too can't see how it would work at home, though many times have wished for it
    Leah
    www.tinycircles.wordpress.com
    2012 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD C
    2009 Surly LHT
    "I thought of that while riding my bicycle."
    ~ Albert Einstein on the Theory of Relativity

OMG. I *love love love* TRX. I want one for our basement. I'm trying to negotiate a fitness room in our downstairs, and I want that in it.

The only time I've used one has been in a gym, where they were installed quite high above my head. How do you guys who have them in the doorways feel about that vs the gym mounts? Do you notice a difference?
    1984 Raleigh Technium 440 - retired(coffee runs)
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 WSD - 365 miles (updated 7.12.2012) - in a holding pattern due to injury.
    My blog: http://bikesbooksblues.wordpress.com/
    Fundraising link for my friend Aimee, after her ped/car accident

I've been using TRX's in my personal training business (in-home training) since about 2002, and the beauty of them is almost every exercise you do is a total body exercise in that you are engaging your core, balance and strength. If you simply go to you-tube and type in TRX, there'll be a multi-tude of ideas. Stick with the ones that are backed by TRX trained trainers and you'll be better off.

It's a training tool that fits a multitude of abilities. I highly recommend them.
    Vertically challenged, but expanding my horizons.

Also...you can use a simple S-hook or maybe it's a J-hook, that's sunk into a beam in your ceiling versus buying the TRX anchor for the wall or ceiling. That's what I use and that's what several of my clients have done. The door anchor is a handy purchase however, because it's good to take with you when on vacation. A TRX is a total workout piece of equipment.
    Vertically challenged, but expanding my horizons.

I haven't used one but it looks like the exercises are more functional that what you might do in a gym. For that reason, I'm really intrigued.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

I was doing some reverse flyes, push-ups and rows in PT last week. Now, it totally flared up my thoracic outlet and I've got numbness down the other arm too but I really liked it when I was doing it. I don't think theirs was branded, and they just had it looped around the top of their leg press rack.

It looks like it would be pretty easy to make one from some old motorcycle tie-downs and some PVC pipe for handles. The only issue would be anchoring, which I was wondering about driving a J-hook into a garage roof beam or a ceiling joist in the basement.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I really like the TRX, and would consider getting one eventually but I live in an apartment. I don't think they would allow me to start screwing supports for it into the wall. The idea of a door anchor would make me nervous I think.

I really like the Bosu as well, but I love the total full-body training that the TRX provides. No extra weights required
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-24-2012 at 05:04 PM.

TRX Door Anchor

Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Two 13' x 1" ratcheting tie-downs: $21.98

2' x 1" PVC pipe for handles, cut to fit: $1.72

Exercise suggestions and routines free on TRX's own site as well as YouTube

Even if you buy TRX's own door anchor (how does it anchor?? I can't figure it out by looking at it) ... and even if you pay a cobbler to sew the handles on rather than just tying them ... I'm seriously not seeing $200.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I dunnoh, padded handles for the hands? The added comfort and functionality of soft straps when you're suspended by your feet? There is a limit to my pain tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Even if you buy TRX's own door anchor (how does it anchor?? I can't figure it out by looking at it)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHPe2p0Kukc