Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

While $200 might seem a bit high for a couple of straps, you have to remember it's the research and technology that make prices seem high.... The straps are much more than straps, as someone else mentioned padded handles, buckle to allow them to go from short to long etc... and the bar is a weighted bar.

I'm in the group of people that want to own one, with an older house I can always find a beam to drill into or I can install in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    While $200 might seem a bit high for a couple of straps, you have to remember it's the research and technology that make prices seem high.... The straps are much more than straps, as someone else mentioned padded handles, buckle to allow them to go from short to long etc... and the bar is a weighted bar.

I'm in the group of people that want to own one, with an older house I can always find a beam to drill into or I can install in the shop.
    I wouldn't trust something that I made, I would rather save over a period of time and purchase one. If the door mount/anchor works, and it sounds like it is safe, then I might consider that approach. I've 11 foot ceilings so I don't think a ceiling mount would work for me even if my apartment management office approved it....

I just checked out the basic TRX package deal and it does include a door anchor. That is good to know. Eventually I want to get either a TRX for home, or a Bosu...we shall see, but neither will come soon.
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-26-2012 at 07:36 AM.

I too, would simply buy the TRX. I would trust my building of this, but also think there are features that would be hard to duplicate. From videos I've watched, it seems that there is a bit of suspension in the straps... is that correct for anyone that has used one?

For those of you that might want to build your own, I do know there is a link on Facebook that shows you how. I wish I could offer the link, but I can't.

Thanks for all of the great opinions!!

I'm not seeing the added "trademarked" value in this, just a whole lot of marketing. We work out with all sorts of resistance cords with handles and sport cords at my gym.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

The one I used at my PT didn't have any of that stuff either. Just 1" webbing, ratchet, and PVC handles, that was it.

I spec'ed the price for the 300 lb tiedowns, but brand name Ancra 1100-lb tiedowns are still only like $25 each. Something that's going to hold a 700-lb motorcycle onto a trailer as it goes over potholes and around turns at 75 mph is not going to fail on you while you're doing push-ups, no matter how much you weigh.

TRX's trademarked bar doesn't come with the kit, it's apparently another $190.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 06-26-2012 at 03:14 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

For those of you that are not interested in paying $200 for TRX, I did some research yesterday and found some alternatives for you... which are listed below.

1) GoFitGravity Strap
    2)Seirus Strap Suspension... has lots of videos
    3) SKLS Power Straps 90 day warranty
    4)Lifeline USAJungle Gym USA made and 90 day warranty, these are built for commercail use.

After looking at all of the straps etc... it does appear that TRX is the best quality and does have the best warranty which is one year. But prices range from $49-$99, so that decision is up to you. There may be even more choices than what I have listed.

Ok, hope this helps...

My PT used the phrase "jungle gym" and that looks like the one they have. I didn't realize it was a trademark. If it's good enough for a PT clinic (associated with one of the city's premier ortho practices) it's good enough for me. And, the price is about the same as what it would cost to make one yourself.

Trademarking is only for a brand name, like Pepsi, Kleenex, or xerox. You notice it's not patented. It's funny the devices that have patent numbers are fakes! (look this up if you want, it comes right up in google) Like I said earlier, someone has taken an existing concept, packaged it and promoted it with some slick marketing and voila, a new "Amazing Fitness System"! I don't have anything against things that get people moving and working out, and that appears to be effective - but I am always fascinated by the marketing machine and how well it a) convinces people they have something new and b) separates them from their money.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Oakleaf, thanks for the info about your PT using the Jungle Gym. Do you have any idea of how long they have been using it? MY only reason for asking is that a PT will use lots of different equipment, but with me, I will use this a LOT! I'm just concerned about the quality and don't want to be in the market to buy again later. Although, perhaps there wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

I'll ask if I remember, but seriously, this is the same webbing and similar ratcheting that motorcycle tie-downs use - that's why it seemed so easy to make out of stuff a lot of us already have lying around the house (or garage). The only potential wear point would be the anchor - as long as you keep that from abrading the webbing, it should last purt'near forever. You'd probably want to inspect the seams now and then just to be on the safe side, but I really wouldn't worry about it, it's such a simple device.

After looking at several websites, it appears to me that the TRX straps have some sort of resistence bands tied into the straps themeselves.

AS for quality, I understand all of what you said... I have lots of straps around the house/shop as well... and pershap that's why I think there is a big difference. Although perhaps there isn't...

Your PT will have some valuable information, and I appreciate you asking. I did find out today that the Jungle Gym brand does indeed have a life time warranty.. so that's impressive!

I finally remembered to ask my PT about the Jungle Gym in the clinic. She said it's about ten years old and it gets multiple uses daily - much more, she says, than an individual would use it at home. They've had no issues of wear. The only caveat she had is that after all that time, it's possible they don't make them like they used to!

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    I have lots of straps around the house/shop as well... and pershap that's why I think there is a big difference. Although perhaps there isn't...
    Well, there is a difference, when you're talking about securing a 300# to 700# motorcycle to take corners in the back of a truck at 70 mph... although I think the difference is more in the ratchets than in the straps. They do make the webbing in different weight ratings. We only use Ancra brand for the important stuff.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 07-16-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks for the info Oakleaf!! I actually have ordered a Jungle Gym, so it should be here this week. I'll let you know what my thoughts are. I also may try and make a couple of sets, depends on how this holds up. MY goal is to offer along with traienr classes this winter, and at my other job which is in Wellness for a small hospital. Time will tell...

Thanks again, and please keep me in hte loop if you should find out more info. There certainly are LOTS of companies out there with these types of straps.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
    was wondering if anyone has exercises that are particularly good for cycling.
    I work on my core for cycling because my legs are already really strong. For core work on the TRX, some basic movements that are challenging and work the core are: 1) from the plank position with the top of your feet in the harnesses, swing your legs widely from left to right while stabilizing your core; 2) from the same position, do mountain climber reps; 3) from the same position, bring both your knees in diagonally across your body and touch your farthest knee to the opposite elbow. Also to build your glutes and hamstring muscles, try laying on your back, arms to your sides, with your heels in the bottom cradles and then proceed to lift your but off the floor while bringing in your legs. I just did these exercises this morning to work on both my golfing and cycling fitness (along with various upper body TRX movements too which are mostly geared toward helping me with golf - mostly weight distribution and hip swing - as well as general fitness). The core ones above are basics but goodies.

I have been using the Jungle GYm XT for about 6-7 weeks now, and have noticed a tremendous difference! I've also done A LOT of research on straps for my shop and the fitness center that I manage. Here's what I found, having the two straps connected at times makes it a bit difficult on the arms, in some movements the straps actually rub on your arms. The Jungle Gym Xt has great quality straps, although I'm sorry to say that the customer service is horrible and shipping is terribly slow. So I guess we can all pick our battles... I have sold a couple of KBDuos, great quality and customer service is extremely good! (they sell for $80)

Earlier, there was talk about making your own straps, and after looking at straps etc.... that is definitely something that could happen very quickly and you could save some money if that's your goal.

For those of you interested in making your own straps, or different training methods, check out youtube and search for what you are interested in. There are some great informational videos from the manufacturers themselves and videos to teach you to make your own straps if that is your goal.
    Last edited by ridebikeme; 09-08-2012 at 03:04 AM.