Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Bouncing back from a short illness

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I'm getting over the flu. Ugh.

It's really been remarkably mild as far as the flu goes (thanks to black elderberry extract, I'm convinced) - I only had a fever for two days - but during those two days I managed to lose seven pounds (which that kind of weight loss is never the kind that does any good, as much as I'd like to take a picture of the scale), and I've still got a persistent deep cough and a lot of junk in my sinuses and ears. It doesn't help that I'm in the pollen capital of the USA right now.

I'm just soooo weak - right now I can walk slowly for about 5 minutes, or sit in a straight chair for 15, before I have to go back to the couch. Anybody have any tips for bouncing back quicker? I'm booooored - and I'm five weeks out from a century that I wasn't in shape for before I got sick.

I was craving red meat so badly the other night that I called up the guy who sells beef at the farmers' market and made DH drive out to his farm and get me a steak. After that I feel like I'm pretty much where I need to be nutritionally, but any tips (including other nutrition tips) welcome!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I say listen to your body for at least another week or so. If you have a craving for something - eat it. If you want to lie down - lie down. I think the only way to bounce back quick is to allow yourself to FULLY recover from whatever it was that hit you.

- from one who has a really hard time following her own advice.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

What she said, rest and drink as much fluid as you can stand.

I had H1N1 last year (as did Brewer and the cat) and it wasn't pretty. Take as much time as you need.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Ugh; I'm sorry you're feeling cruddy. I had a bad case of the flu in 1999 (that I remember all too well to this day). I became delirious on about the 4th day of it because my fever climbed above 105 degrees. It was bad. Thankfully, I had a roommate at the time who had enough sense to contact my doctor, who got me sorted out. Anyway, I remember feeling rather weak for a good month after I recovered.

If I were you, I'd make sure I was getting a steady dose of iron, the B vitamins, vitamin D, potassium, magnesium, calcium and zinc. I would take it incredibly easy on the exercise front for at least another two weeks. Right now, it sounds like you don't have much choice, but when you do start to get some energy and strength back, be careful not to over do it. I'd stick to recovery pace workouts (heartrate no higher than 65% of max) and cut them short. I'd probably stick to low impact exercise, too.

Feel better soon!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher