Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LBS Experience (kinda long)

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I rode (helmetless) the other day to the LBS that is about a mile and a half from my office with the intent on buying a new helmet and finally paying these guys for something. Now, there's one guy who works there who is pretty cool, but the owner broke a part off my old (new-at-the-time) pedals the first time I went in there and was iffy about replacing them. As in, they said they'd order more and call me, then shoed me out the door before they took my info. So I hadn't quite made up my mind yet about this place.

Except for the one pretty cool mechanic, I'm now even more iffy about the place.

I went in and started looking at the helmets. Despite the brands on their website, they only have Bell helmets in-stock. Not a wide selection, but that's what I'm used to wearing, so ok (for now). An employee asks what I'm interested in, and I say I'm looking to replace a mountain bike helmet. He finds at least 4 girly "sport" helmets before I finally get it through his head that no, I don't want purple, and yes, I really mean mountain bike helmet, and I already know the size I wear. I ask him a vague question about the 30% off replacement program Bell has, which somehow leads to a lecture on "one-impact use," etc. etc. Yes, I know, that's why I already told you that I am replacing a helmet. So at this point I'm frustrated but figure he's just lacking in communication skills.

We go outside to check out my bike because I inquired about finding replacement brake levers that are a little bit more small-hand friendly. First he tries to tell me that I don't want to change the stem since it's fairly short already (exactly, that's why I asked about brake levers...and I know this bike can take a shorter stem b/c it's now spec'ed with one) and then says that they can put mtb levers on the bike. How those will be more comfortable with drop bars, I hope to never know.

Now, I don't know if this happened because I'm a girl and I rode to the shop in street clothes, or if he's just clueless in general, but I felt like I was talking to a brick wall. I don't know if I should say something to the shop or just not ever go there again (and hope I don't run into the decent mech. on the trails) but I just don't trust them with my bike after that. Am I overreacting? It was just so odd.

(On the other hand, I emailed Salsa, they have some smaller brake levers lying around the shop and will send them to me despite the fact that I didn't even get my bike from one of their authorized dealers. Quite awesome.)

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Meh, sounds like you've given them several chances and they failed. I'd be inclined to take my business elsewhere. The mechanic probably knows already, and like most bike mechanics, will likely make the rounds of bike shops if he hasn't already. Plus, I imagine that Denver has plenty of bike shops to choose from.

Agree...you've given them a couple of chances...time to fly and be free!

Shops like those are why I shop online and do virtually all of my own service work.

Sorry, Jess!

I agree with everyone else. Time to move on. It's called voting with your feet.

When you find another LBS, let them know that you are looking for customer service, as well as a place to spend money on Bike Stuff. Don't mention names, but you can (gently) let it be known that you have had a bad experience in that regard.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

I've been trying to convince myself that maybe I got the guy in charge of the snowsports equipment...or something...haha. My mountain bike club gets a discount at a store across town, guess I'll start driving down there instead.

Jess, new women's only store opens Thursday on Bannock at 11th - WWW.tribellas.com
    The owners are awesome, will take you seriously, and I have a 10% off coupon if you want.
    Jenn K
    Centennial, CO
    Love my Fuji!

Sweeeeeeet!! I think I have a coupon or postcard or something from them too, thanks for reminding me! And they're a block away from my pilates studio!

sounds like a happy ending, let us know how it works out
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Thanks for posting about this, Jenn. My current LBS is great but I'm always willing to give a female owned & oriented business a try. Can't wait to check them out! Maybe we'll all meet there someday
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    If in doubt, go with your gut. Your Fargo (and you!) deserves better attention than what they can give.

I'm on their multisport team - just got our kits in yesterday and they're sweet!
    Jenn K
    Centennial, CO
    Love my Fuji!

After some discussions in bike shops jessm, the only option is to laugh.

I would just find another LBS. They are definitely lacking in customer service. There is a bike shop like that in Wilmington. They are that bad and I actually was in there with my husband, so I know it wasn't just because I'm a girl I got lousy service. The other bike shop in Wilmington is pretty good, although they are more geared towards beach rentals. I'm not totally fond of my local LBS (hence the reason for the 1 hour trip to Wilmington). Also will never go back to the LBS in Fayetteville, and wasn't too happy with the one in Goldboro. I finally found one I really like 2 hours away in Raleigh. I also miss my LBS from Charlotte. Then again where I grew up in Ohio (Warren) has a great LBS where all my bikes as a kid came from and I bought my current mountain bike from them this summer.

What's a multisport team?

Quote Originally Posted by JennK13 View Post
    I'm on their multisport team - just got our kits in yesterday and they're sweet!
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD