Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rainy 400k?

Rainy 400k?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Would you do it?

There's a 400k I wanted to do this weekend, but the forecast is getting worse and worse. From what I can tell, it will be raining probably during the day, and definitely at night. I have no experience riding in the rain at night. How does it effect your visibility? I have great lights, but will they be useless in a heavy rain?

My heart isn't set on this ride. However, my "A" race was two weeks ago and I got sick halfway through. So, was hoping to redeem myself by doing this 400K. But, I wonder if it's wise. Temps will be 55-67, but looks like rain the whole way.

Stay home, or break out my rain bike and go for it?
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

I would and I have (400k specifically).

Starting a ride in the rain is a bit grim, I admit (as opposed to rain starting after you're well on your way). If it were me, I would break out the rain bike, bring every bit of warm and waterproof clothing I have and go for it.

Your lights should be fine in the rain - what do you have? Remember that cars may not see you as easily, so I'd add an extra rear red light or two to your bike, and perhaps an additional small white LED or two up from - for being seen as opposed to seeing.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I have Dinotte 200L lights. I was going to use one Li-ion on the bike and helmet mount the AA 200L version. Really bright Dinotte taillight, plus a Spok taillight on my helmet, and an LED ankleband. Maybe another blinkie on the back too.

That sounds pretty good. Are you mentally prepared to start a 400k in the rain and continue on? How does riding in the rain effect your mood?

At least your temps are good. For the 300k last weekend, the forecast was 30's - 40's with rain and snow at sea level. It didn't rain or snow (whew!), but it was 30 - 40's all day. Cold and rainy can be borderline unsafe.

You've done this distance before, right?
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

I guess I'm not mentally prepared if I'm waffling so much! I just did 242 miles (in about 15 hours) two weeks ago, so the distance isn't the issue. I had planned to do more, so I'm just looking for an excuse to put in more miles.

Maybe you just need to see how you feel on the day of the ride.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Same forecast for our 300k

We have a 100% chance of precipitation for Kentucky 300k on Saturday, so I know how you feel. It is definitely hard to start in the rain. We did the Gray Whale 200k on New Years Day out in California and it had a rainy start. I'd always rather the rain start after I'm on the route (preferably far enough away that I am not tempted to turn around and return to the start).

Your lights sound excellent. How's your wet weather clothing? And, I'm a little worried about "break out my rain bike." Is the bike set up exactly the same as your rando bike? One of my worst 200+ mile rides ever was switching to a different bike at the last moment when my partner / captain was injured and I rode a single instead of being on our tandem. How many miles have you put on it recently?

We're training for PBP, so are focused on completing the SR series early in the year. And we find we need experience learning how to deal with unpleasant days whether it is rain, wind ... often both.

I liked a comment that was made after the Gray Whale. One of the riders said it was a "character building" day and someone else corrected him to say it was a "character revealing" day. (20 registered riders didn't turn up at the start.)

Let us know what you decide (and I expect to hear a ride report if you do it). I'll be wishing we had the warmer temperatures. Our forecast is 40's-50's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaclyn View Post
    How's your wet weather clothing? And, I'm a little worried about "break out my rain bike." Is the bike set up exactly the same as your rando bike?
    Ahh. Two other concerns. Great rain jacket, no rain pants. I was gonna do tights and wool socks.

And, yeah, the bike... I haven't ridden the rain bike in well over a year, if not longer, and the last time, it gave me some knee issues, but I'll set it up as closely to my other bikes as I can. I do have other bikes I can use, but they're all really nice bikes that I just hate to take out in known rain.

there's rain and there's rain. Where do you live? People do that around here, but our weather is usually mild enough and we all have the right gear!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Jaclyn View Post

I liked a comment that was made after the Gray Whale. One of the riders said it was a "character building" day and someone else corrected him to say it was a "character revealing" day. (20 registered riders didn't turn up at the start.)
    So the people who didn't show have bad character or maybe they just are not crazy.

That's the kind of comment that would rub me the wrong way. Just because you're willing and driven enough to achieve a goal no matter how horrible the conditions - doesn't mean every else is or has to be!

This coming from the person who finished a Half Ironman on a day when the temperatures were hitting pretty close to 100 degrees, but who also has quit partway through a double century. Just saying - everyone has their personal limits.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    there's rain and there's rain. Where do you live? People do that around here, but our weather is usually mild enough and we all have the right gear!
    It's the Augusta 400K, that loops up towards Athens, Ga. Rain is now 90% with flood warnings in the area. Lighter during hte day, heavier at night.

If the thunderstorms are predicted to start any earlier, I think that's going to be a deal breaker for me.

I think "flood warnings" are two very important words.

I did a century in a nor'easter once. Ain't never doing that again.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
    Ahh. Two other concerns. Great rain jacket, no rain pants. I was gonna do tights and wool socks.
    Rain shorts might be a good compromise. They'll keep your butt dry, but without being as warm as full-length pants.

I admire you for even considering doing the ride under those conditions! Best of luck, and stay safe out there!

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I think "flood warnings" are two very important words.

I did a century in a nor'easter once. Ain't never doing that again.
    Yes, the kind of rain you guys can have would seriously discourage me. Not to mention possible electric storms.

Your heart isn't in it. We can all tell.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi