Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: I wanna try!

I wanna try!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Alright, I've been reading up and watching videos about cyclocross and it gets me so excited but also sad at the same time. I wanna compete in a cyclocross race too!

I'm only a commuter, bike to school, work, get groceries, etc. I usually ride around 15 miles a day with some moderate hills. I don't have a special road bike or anything but it's something that gets me around. I ride a Schwinn Caliente which got converted to a single speed one summer. It has 24" wheels. People tell me it's considered a kids bike because it has 24" wheels. I feel the fit is "ok" sometimes I feel a little crammed. The bike is said to be 49cm but I beg to differ because I built up a Pake ss/fg over the summer with 700cc wheels and it ended up being too big. The top tube gets jammed up in me and I gotta be on my tippy toes :[.

Everybody tells me that I have to get a custom bike whether it be cyclocross or just a road bike because I am very short. I am 4'11" with a 26" inseam :/ I've gone to bike shops and they set me up on an Orbea (46 cm I believe) and a Trek (45cm?) but the reach was too far they said. I don't know, sometimes I feel humiliated or they just tell me to get the smallest bike they have >:|

I have been looking and wanting a custom Sweetpea or Luna bike but I haven't the money for that right now. Not anytime soon at least.

So I wanted to know if anyway could direct me about what bike I could possibly get since I am so short.
    Does xxs even exist? Do I need a custom? Anything smaller than 44cm?
    can you compete with 650c or 650b wheels?

I don't think I mind buying a used cx bike but I don't know yet!

I hope this was the right place to ask these questions and that I didn't leave anything out!

-Amy

I know very little here, but as a short woman (5'0") I know that Surly's come in 42cm.
    200x Electra Townie 24D/Brooks B67

There is no stock bike that I am aware of that is not in "junior" sizing. I got a Terry Valkyrie the first year they were made, but the price has gone up to the custom bike range now. Why not try doing some races on your Caliente? There are kids that race on small bikes with 24" wheels, and my Valkyrie uses 26" wheels. Another option is to get a used mountain bike and build it up to your own "ghetto cross" bike.

Frankenbike thread

Small cross bike fit