Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Larabars, Cliff Bars, etc.......Energy Bars

To disable ads, please log-in.

I really like Larabars, but with the amount of calories/fat, I find I will eat one as a meal replacement. Should these be pre/post workout food?
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

I prefer Larabars during a ride - my stomach won't tolerate them during a run, and I don't think they have enough protein to qualify as a recovery meal. By the time I get to recovery I can have real food, anyway.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Most of my meals are over 200 calories--which is the approximate calorie count for the average Larabar, so I don't use them for meal replacement. I do, however, like them before or during workouts. Before only if I eally need something in addition to what I've already eaten that day and during only if the ride is long enough to warrant it. I typically just eat a regular meal after I exercise. I suppose if I couldn't, a Larabar would work instead. I'd rather have a piece of fruit though. I don't like Cliff bars by the way....They're just SO dry.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

As a general snack, I'm a fan of 1/2 a Clif Bar and some fruit. On the bike Clif works well too- I cut it in to bite sized pieces and munch away.
    Be yourself, to the extreme!

On the bike, I'm a big fan of peanut M&Ms. If i'm out somewhere and I'm driving home afterwards - like if I take the mountain bike out to the park about an hour away - I keep a cliff bar and a soda available for the ride home. I've been driving home from a run or ride and bonked (? is it bonking if it's half an hour AFTER the exercise?) and it's not fun.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I used cliff bars for years on rides, and now I can't stand the things.

Lately I've been buying these bags of cashew clusters at costco that have little cubes of cashews, pumkin seeds, etc. to use as snacks. They're great

So far Cliff bars, Shot Blocs, little packs of nuts/raisins/chocolate chips/ banana/PB sandwiches occasionally all seem to work fine. Every time I venture out to other kinds of food on the bike my stomach gets upset... Hammer gels are also nice but my fingers get all sticky - and I prefer to actually chew, though I do keep one or two in my pack or seat trunk just in case.

I've tried Larabars and a couple of other brands, but just don't care for them for some reason - Cliff bars work for me, though not all of them - several are just sickeningly sweet.

I used to use Clif Bars and I switched to Luna Bars, as they are a little bit smaller and therefore, less calories. They are billed as the "women's version" of Clif Bars, but it's really just marketing. My DH eats them, too. I use them before, during, and sometimes after a ride and I keep them in my briefcase for snacks on days I don't get home until later. Sometimes I even crave them, which is strange.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I eat a Luna Protein as a snack most days. They are convenient and easy to take out to recess on those days I have duty. Thom eats them as well - even though they are the "women's" version.

I don't like to eat while I'm teaching, so a good sized snack between 10:00 and 10:30 is a must.

I swore off Larabars a few years ago when Thom got really sick after eating one.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    I really like Larabars, but with the amount of calories/fat, I find I will eat one as a meal replacement. Should these be pre/post workout food?
    I bet it would be okay to replace a meal with one, with the addition of something else, maybe something like cottage cheese or yogurt. I need meals to be at least 400 calories. Alone, they'd be good pre or post ride, or you could cut it in half and have it for both.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I've just discovered Luna Protein bars, too, and I really like the taste and serving size. It's enough to take the edge off, but not so much as to make me feel guilty for indulging between meals.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

I have always used energy bars as energy bars - while I am riding so I get enough in me not to bonk; I also have used gels, etc. I used to have some preferences, but you have to realize the only energy bars early on were power bars. The other bars came on the market after that.

An exception to the while riding, or exercising, is right before I exercise, if I have not had enough to eat or there has been a long time between my meal and an exercise session; or right after my exercise session. Usually, I will only eat about a 1/2 bar then just to get me by if I cannot eat something else right away to replenish my stores.

I don't think I've ever had a Lara bar. I'll eat any exercise bar when I need one for exercising.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataboo View Post
    I used cliff bars for years on rides, and now I can't stand the things.

Lately I've been buying these bags of cashew clusters at costco that have little cubes of cashews, pumkin seeds, etc. to use as snacks. They're great
    those are so good, never thought to use them as ride food. thanks for the idea!

Cadel bars here (actually called Winners) - I like the taste and they have fewer additives than others I've tried. But I use them on the bike, along with gels, rather than as meal replacement. I eat real food at home.

I used to love Larabars, but I OD'd on them.

Now I'm far happier with bags of pecans and cheddar cheese, and Clif Blox.

Used to love the Clif drink mix, too, but I also OD'd on that. Now I'd rather pack water along... and eat cheese for the salt I need.

Cheese, pecans, and a can of V8 make me very happy at the end of a long ride, so I make sure to have enough along to have some at the end.

One of these days I'll OD on the cheese, pecans, and V8... and then I'll just find something else!
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 03-15-2011 at 05:10 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson