Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iud

To disable ads, please log-in.

GLC,

Were you on hormonal BC previous to mirena?
    Mary
    ~Strong and content, I travel the open road.~

http://www.the3day.org/goto/mary.aguirre

I've had a copper IUD for about a year now. I'm 29, and I've never been pregnant, so my GYN recommended the smallest of the copper devices that's available here in Canada. I don't think you can get it in the US.

My experience thus far has been kind of frustrating. I can handle the heavier flows, but the cramps and back pain and generally feeling yucky around my period are wearing me down after a year. I feel stuck as far as birth control goes, though, because I get terrible mood swings when I'm on the pill (as I was for close to 10 years before the IUD). So, I'm sticking with the IUD for now because it seems like the best alternative, but I can't say I've been terribly happy with it.

In my case, being a cyclist has actually exacerbated the side effects of the IUD. The cervix tends to be in a low and open position right before and during your period, and I get MAJOR cramps from cervical irritation caused by the IUD threads (I think) if I ride my bike during this time.
    2010 Scott Speedster Limited/Bontrager Inform RL
    2008 Cannondale Rush 2 Feminine/Terry Butterfly
    2005 Cannondale F400/Terry Butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by abejita View Post
    GLC,

Were you on hormonal BC previous to mirena?
    Yes - 15+ years of BCP and then I tried two rounds of Depo Provera (with very bad results) before going back to BCP for about a year before trying the Mirena. I was also on Lupron for awhile to shrink my fibriods prior to surgery (kind of simulates menopause), so I've put my body through a lot of hormonal turmoil in the past 10 years. I was super excited about the Mirena because it was so low dose...I thought it would be unnoticeable after all the years of BCP, but it just didn't turn out.

I was getting some serious facial discoloration due to hormones from the BCP and it all but disappeared on the Mirena, so there were some benefits to the lower dose. And, I never got pregnant of course, so that was good. ;-)
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom