Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Review: Otterbox iPod Case

To disable ads, please log-in.

www.otterbox.com

I just got the Otterbox Defender case for my iPod Touch. http://www.otterbox.com/iPod-Touch-4...neration-cases

Expensive little booger. But I think totally worth it. I knew of Otterbox from the old days, when they made watertight containers we used for some very expensive scientific equipment. We abused those poor Otterboxes, but they survived with flying colors. I trust Otterbox.

Putting it on the iPod: This took some mental effort. The instructions are pictorial. I'm just not that smart. The Defender is really two cases. The inside case is the polycarbonate impact frame and the built-in screen films. That goes on first... but first you have to figure out how to OPEN it! Make sure your iPod is spotlessly clean before you put the case on, cuz you won't be fishing it out any time soon. (and probably not using an older iHome with it, either) You don't have to fuss with the screen films at all, they adhere instantly and perfectly with no bubbles. There is no film over the back camera, so your pictures are clear, but the camera is well protected by both the impact frame and the silicone outer case. Once you get the impact frame on, you massage the silicone case into place. It fits amazingly and immovably onto the impact frame.

How It Looks: It is beeeeoooootiful! The picture on the website doesn't do it justice! Clean, elegant, colorful! It's an engineering marvel. Every edge is exactly aligned, every piece is snug and stable.

How It Feels: It will not slip out of your hand, unless you really try to drop it. One thing I didn't like about the iPod 4 is that it is a bit smaller than the old iPod and was hard to handle. The Defender is *thick* and builds the iPod 4 up. Much easier to work with.

How it works: Every button is easy to find and press. The speaker is exposed, but well protected. There is no sound distortion. The back camera is exposed, but also well protected. The ports have silicone tabs/plugs. Took me a bit to figure out how to make them stay in the ports, but once you get it, it's easy. The plugs are completely out of the way when you use the ports, and seamlessly smooth when you figure out how to put them back in.

How Safe Is It: I don't have any astounding stories of iPod survival yet, but I do feel quite comfortable tossing my iPod around now.

Is it worth $40? Oh, yes. If you're spending hundreds of bucks on an iPod, buy a good case to protect it. This is a zillion times more fabulous than a $20 Marware case, and so far I have no complaints. (BTW, I have a clear Marware case that is free to a good home.)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Today I dropped my iPhone and shattered the glass. I would have much rather paid $40 for an Otterbox than the $200 I will have to pay for a new phone. I just kept putting it off. Later this week, I will have to get a new phone, and I will definitely get an Otterbox for it.

Thanks Knot for the review. Where did you get the Otterbox? Does it come in colors?
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Click either of the links in my post, and you can navigate through the Otterbox website for whatever piece of technology you need to protect. (they've got cases for darn near everything!)

As you'll see on their website, they have several colors in each model of case. The cases have varying degrees of protection, and the price goes up as the levels of protection go up.

The most expensive, most protective, most bulky, and most intricate cases are the "Defenders."

I luuuuuv my Defender case for my iPod.

Ordered mine from Otterbox's website. Case arrived in 2 days.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Got mine from Amazon.com

I too have been abusive to my smart phones...no issues with the Otterbox on my iPhone.

Love it, worth the money, for sure.
    Mine is black with pink trim....easy to see.

The next time I'm eligible for a discounted cell phone upgrade (August, I think), I'm probably going to make the jump to a smartphone. I haven't decided yet what "flavor" (I have Verizon, so iPhone is an option now--I am a Mac user, but I'm just not convinced I love the iPhone interface). It looks like Otterbox makes something for everyone, though. I'll definitely keep them in mind.
    '09 Jamis Satellite Femme | stock Jamis Road Sport -- road
    '08 Trek 7.2FX | Terry Cite -- commuter
    '77 Raleigh Grand Prix mixte | stock Brooks (vinyl) -- just for fun!

Quote Originally Posted by badgercat View Post
    The next time I'm eligible for a discounted cell phone upgrade (August, I think), I'm probably going to make the jump to a smartphone. I haven't decided yet what "flavor" (I have Verizon, so iPhone is an option now--I am a Mac user, but I'm just not convinced I love the iPhone interface). It looks like Otterbox makes something for everyone, though. I'll definitely keep them in mind.

funny, since my iphone broke, I'm thinking of making the switch back to a regular, old cell phone. No smart in it. Just a phone.

I'm sure I'll come to my senses in a few days and get a new iphone, but it's an intriguing thought to have a cheap/free phone with a very inexpensive calling plan.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    funny, since my iphone broke, I'm thinking of making the switch back to a regular, old cell phone. No smart in it. Just a phone.

I'm sure I'll come to my senses in a few days and get a new iphone, but it's an intriguing thought to have a cheap/free phone with a very inexpensive calling plan.
    I've been perfectly happy with my "unsmart" phones so far, but in August I'll also be moving to a less-familiar city with an hours-long public transit commute to my internship. It just seems like it'd be handy to have for finding my way around and killing time on the bus.
    '09 Jamis Satellite Femme | stock Jamis Road Sport -- road
    '08 Trek 7.2FX | Terry Cite -- commuter
    '77 Raleigh Grand Prix mixte | stock Brooks (vinyl) -- just for fun!

I do use the email alot on the phone. I travel for work quite a bit, and it really does come in handy. Plus, I use several apps that help me in various aspects (fitness, health, finances, music). I decided to get a new iphone, but I'm switching to Verizon. Just coincidentally, my ATT contract is up on Friday, so it's good timing.

I had an otter box for my iphone and loved it. Had a pink one, orange would have been better though.
    The only thing that I had to do to make it work perfect was put a light coat of talcum powder on the screen before inserting it into the case. Otherwise the screen was distorted. Once I did that, the plastic window didn't stick to the screen.
    I would recommend otter box products to anyone with abusive tendencies towards technology.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post

I'm very happy with my phone that's just a phone. To me a cell phone is a camera that can text I would like to upgrade to one with a better camera.

Knott just got the latest iPod touch, I now have her old one. I think it's love the iPod that is, I know it is with her. The iPod has most of the iPone aps but needs wifi for the web, no data plan.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Yeah, I really like having my iPod Touch and a separate cell phone. I could have gone with an iPhone, but I wanted to have a phone with buttons and keep my external brain (iPod) free of the phone function.

Someday I may change, but right now having an iPod and a cell phone as unique entities works well for me.

I adore having the iPod backed up on the computer. If I should lose or break the iPod, I can restore myself to sanity fairly quickly with a replacement iPod. I hope...

I got a new iphone 4, and switched carriers. My old contract was up the same week I broke the old phone, so it all worked out. I use my iphone for work (emails and calls) so that I can be out and about and not chained to a desk. It allows me to pretty much be anywhere while I'm "at work." With the new carrier, there is actually coverage where I want to be, so that makes all the difference. I still have to get that otterbox, though.

Otterbox Update:

Ok, I dropped my iPod. Several times.

It survived!!!

(I love my Otterbox, I love my Otterbox, I love my Otterbox)

Besides just flat-out falls to the floor, the iPod has made it through being tossed around while in my bag, dropping to the floor in my bag, being sat upon, being slept upon, falling off the bed, falling off the bedside table, being slathered with Purell and hand lotion, getting tossed around in the pocket of my jacket, and falling to the floor while in my jacket.

I'm impressed.

I no longer worry about my iPod AT ALL.

Looooooove Otterbox!

Last night my iPod had its most exciting fall yet: to the asphalt in a parking lot!

I watched as it hit corner-first, and thought "that's it, now the iPod will break."

Hah! Otterbox FTW!

(while I don't recommend nonchalantly tossing iPods in parking lots, it is nice to know the Otterbox exceeds what I expected of it)