Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike clothing

Bike clothing

To disable ads, please log-in.

Since one year or two, my life has been only working, sleeping and eating,i did not do anything as sport.
    Now, i'm really feeling weak, to strengthen my physique, i'm planning to ride bike everyday for a few hours, i've already bought a bike and found some bike clothing on: (link removed by moderator)
    Do you think that i should buy and wear such professional clothes when cycling?
    Last edited by administrator; 02-25-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Welcome to TE! Congratulations on your new bike, what kind did you buy? What kind of riding are you interested in?

I'm guessing this is spam, Catrin. Look at the link.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I did - and that is my thought as well but I thought I would give them a chance just in case. Obviously English isn't her, or his, first language...

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I did - and that is my thought as well but I thought I would give them a chance just in case. Obviously English isn't her, or his, first language...
    You're clearly nicer than I am! .
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

You're clearly nicer than I am! .
    LOL, I just think about what my posts might look like if I tried to participate in a French forum...

Welcome to TE! Congratulations on your new bike, what kind did you buy? What kind of riding are you interested in?
    Thanks, it was bought from Decathlon, i'm doing the road cycling as start.

Perhaps i should not put a link in my first post?

You are right, in fact, my first language is French.

Welcome to TE!! As as to clothing and if you should wear then on the bike... I'd say wear what makes you feel comfortable first and foremost.

I've always felt a little exposed when it came to wearing cycling clothing. The Lycra hugs the body and only if your really fit, would you look really good, and that isn't me for sure!!

Yesterday it was cold (45F- 15mph wind) but I decided to put on my wool base layer and bike clothing-- felt great. My husband opted for jeans and when we got back he was all sweaty and hot and I was feeling dry and most comfortable... I probably wore my bike clothing because I knew it would be busy out and less people would see me in my cycling kit.

Good luck and great to have you here.
    Shannon
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

Quote Originally Posted by Godblessu View Post
    Perhaps i should not put a link in my first post?
    Bonjour! (that's about the extent of my French ). Yes, we often get spammers who do that, so that tends to be a red flag.

You probably have some things in your closet that will work on the bike, but cycling specific shorts are often necessary for comfort. You need padded gloves for sure, because these will protect your hands if you fall. The benefit of cycling tops is that the pockets are in the back, so whatever you carry (cell phone, snacks) won't get in your way, and the cut will usually be longer in the back so it doesn't ride up. They'll also usually be of a moisture wicking fabric, but a wool sweater or base layer works just as well.

I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

hello and welcome!

I wear cycling clothes when riding offroad, for normal errand/leisure cycling I mix cycling base layers and jackets with normal clothes. I always use padded cycling underwear as it works for me. There is no point at all in being uncomfortable.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Thanks for all your kind help.
    I'm aware that clothing is not the most important, i can wear whatever makes me feel comfortable to ride bikes, but i think the accessories as helmet and gloves are very important, they can keep me safe, so i decide not to buy the particular cycling clothing but a helmet, a pair of cycling shoes and a pair of gloves, do you have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Godblessu View Post
    Thanks for all your kind help.
    I'm aware that clothing is not the most important, i can wear whatever makes me feel comfortable to ride bikes, but i think the accessories as helmet and gloves are very important, they can keep me safe, so i decide not to buy the particular cycling clothing but a helmet, a pair of cycling shoes and a pair of gloves, do you have any suggestions?
    I would suggest that you consider bike shorts. If you prefer, you can get liners that you can wear under your pants - especially as your rides get longer. The seams on pants can cause chafing and discomfort in your sensitive areas.

You certainly need a helmet and bike gloves. Special shoes are only needed if you decide to "clip in", attach yourself to the bike. Unless you want to do that, then you just need a stiffer shoe with rubber soles to use with your platform pedals. A stiffer shoe will prevent the sole of your shoe from collapsing around your foot and causing discomfort or pain.

Which country are you in? I'm guessing somewhere in Europe if you're near a Decathlon. I think Decathlon is a pretty good brand, though I don't live near one at the moment. If you're in the US the TeamEstrogen shopping site looks brilliant.

I'm a pretty new rider. My helmet is a Nutcase one, though you'll probably want something more aerodynamic if you're keen on road-cycling. Look for one that is comfortable, fits well and meets whichever safety standards apply where you are. I do have cycling shoes that I use for off-road riding or if I'm just riding for fun rather than to get somewhere - mine came from Lidl and have been fine though sometimes I have to trim off the odd thread that sticks through. I don't find trainers so good for riding as they seem to soak up all the pedalling energy. My gloves came from Lidl too though I'm going to get some prettier ones this summer Lidl and Aldi both do cut-price cycling stuff from time to time and although it's not brilliant quality it is cheap and will get you started whilst you save for what you want. I agree with Catrin, a padded liner or short really helps, although I know some people do fine without. I had a cheap liner to start with, but there are plenty to choose from.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.