Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Running Woe

Running Woe

To disable ads, please log-in.

I recently purchased a pair of Nike LunarGlide 2 shoes. I was running on the Nike Air Max's and thought they were too stiff. I heard great things about the LunarGlides and wanted to give them a try. I loved them. I loved that feeling of... bounciness. I FELT like my stride improved. I thought my heel strike was gone. My stride shortened and I was running more on the ball of my feet. Quick, short steps.

I was on the treadmill over Christmas. I ran 4.5 miles. No biggie. After I got off the treadmill and was stretching a bit, I noticed some pain in my right foot. This is the foot that I tend to run on the outside of. I thought maybe it was a fluke. The next day, I did the same run. No pain when running, but pain after.

I started looking into the symptoms of plantar facitiis (excuse my spelling). The pain is pretty much localized to the side of the foot. No heel pain. But it started to swell. The top of the foot looked puffy. I iced it. Stayed off of it for two days. I ruled out PF, and a stress fracture. I started leaning towards a pulled tendon.

I stopped running and have mostly just rode. It doesn't hurt at all when I ride. It doesn't hurt when I put pressure on it on out of the saddle efforts. Sometimes, there's a dull ache in the morning when I first get out of bed and walk around. The swelling is mostly gone.

From what I understand, the LunarGlides are for moderate overpronators. I got my pronation backwards. I think my right foot is underpronating, since I'm running on the outside of it. Someone told me I was supinating? (again, excuse my spelling) Could it be that the shoe is pushing the outside of my foot into further pronation? Is this something that can be fixed by switching the insole or is this an entire shoe problem?

Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated.

I really like the responsiveness of the LunarGlide. I'd like to give it a fair shot, but don't want to make things worse.
    2009 Blue RD-1/White Selle Italia Max Flite Gel

Peroneal tendonitis...that sounds like what you are dealing with. I get this, too. Also in my right foot. I have to wear a relatively flexible shoe, then throw a pair of Superfeet in for rear-foot stability. It took a lot of experimentation for me to find this solution, but it's golden. Any time I go to a stiffer shoe I have issues. I had a pair of the original Lunarglides and had issues.

If you like the Lungarglides, I highly recommend the Lunarflys--they are essentially a less stable, lighter, more flexible version of the LGs and use that same bouncy foam (I also like that feel). I wear the LFs and their predecessor, the Avant+.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Thanks a ton for this advice. I didn't have problems with the Air Max's though... just switching to the LGs. Now that I've been running on the LGs, I have a hard time thinking about switching to a more stiff, more stable shoe. I was hoping it could be corrected with an insert. I will definitely try this. Which Superfeet insert are you using?
    2009 Blue RD-1/White Selle Italia Max Flite Gel

I like the berry best. The blue and green just don't seem to fit my foot quite right. I'm sorta between C and D and find the D fits me better--partly because my foot is wide, I'm sure.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I own a pair of the Lunarglide too and I tend to supinate too. I didn't know this when I bought the shoes but they are not neutral shoes (the shopguy told me that they have a pronation control that only comes into play IF you overpronate and doesn't affect you if you don't because they "adjust" to the runner. I think it's just marketing...).
    They force me to run on the outside of my foot even more (you can also see this if you look at the shoe from behind. The soles are higher on the inside), I think they are not suited for supinators, who should really look for a neutral shoe.

I never had any issues with foot pain like you, though. I think swelling and severe pain have to have another reason than just the shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn5 View Post
    Hi,..
    The use of water early in the morning and walking daily about 30 mints is more beneficial for your body,.....
    Yeah...um...huh..?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Washing yourself in the morning and walking are more beneficial than running in shoes that don't fit while your foot hurts. Don't you get that Zoom-Zoom?

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    Washing yourself in the morning and walking are more beneficial than running in shoes that don't fit while your foot hurts. Don't you get that Zoom-Zoom?
    Ha, yeah...well that is true! Though eating pizza and doing the cha-cha are more beneficial than running in shoes that don't fit, too.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Do your feet hurt when you run in them on the ground, or just on the treadmill? My stride changes on the treadmill and the same shoes don't work for me for both.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

30 mints would be okay if they're Tic-Tacs but I don't know about Mentos, and definitely not Peppermint Patties.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Good catch on that one Oak!
    katluvr