Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Great job on the half, Indigoiis!

And skhill - you might just be faster (and having a good day!)!

I did 4.2 miles on the treadmill last night. I was feeling quite good and tempted to go further, but I knew if I ran too close to bedtime, I wouldn't be able to sleep so I stopped at 9:40. Didn't matter. I didn't sleep anyway.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

This morning's 5 miles took me past the LBS that is the most commuter-focused, and I had to smile at the big sign in the window with the current local price for a gallon of gas. And I have been seeing more commuters lately while out running-- but that might also have to do with spring inching closer!

3.75 miles on the treadmill today, plus some additional walking.

Is it normal to feel kinda crappy for the first 30 minutes, then something clicks and you feel on top of the world? Is that the fabled "runner's high"? If so, I'm feeling it! It's almost like clockwork. It feels SO hard at first, then gets better and better.

Come to think of it, I often have the same experience on a ride....
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Another half hour of intervals today. My legs were hurtin' though. I rode Sunday, ran Monday, went to yoga yesterday and did 45 minutes of "toning" at my weekly class at the office. So, I think tomorrow will be a rest day.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Is it normal to feel kinda crappy for the first 30 minutes, then something clicks and you feel on top of the world?
    Yep. For me, every time. Except my period of misery lasts about 45 minutes. I think it just takes that long to warm up. A pseudo-famous friend of mine always says it takes one minute per year of age to warm up on a bicycle. For me that also applies to running.

I'm still running, actually back into a regular routine now. Next event is a trail half marathon later this month, then a 10 miler with that pseudo-famous friend mentioned above in early April, then a 50k sometime later in April and, depending on how the rest of training goes, the big dog at the beginning of June: 50 miles. I've been working with a sports nutritionist because between hormones, age, and training load I cannot get my when-I'm-not-running food right. No big results yet but I remain hopeful. 20 miler planned for tomorrow; it will be a good test.

Well, no wonder I feel like cr*p the whole time I run! I also know it takes me at least 30-45 minutes to feel good on the bike, unless I am going very slowly. At my age, that means close to an hour of warm up . So, I never get that runner's high, because it generally takes me close to 40 minutes to do a 5K and by then other things are hurting.
    This is why I rarely do group rides, because they go out so quickly. Even my regular group who are mostly even older than me, do this. Then they wonder why I am always in the front at the end.
    I think some people are just in need of more warm up time than others, Emily. Lately, I've been doing run-walk intervals, as it seems that mentally, that's all I can take. But something keeps me wanting to run.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

For whatever reason, I generally feel warmed up on my bike at 9 or so miles, or roughly 35 minutes (I'm 41). I'm not aiming to run for longer than 3-5 miles at a time, so I'm not sure I've ever going to feel "warmed up," during runs, but that does provide a good reminder that I should ideally walk for a longer period of time than I currently am to warm up.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Emily, I feel pretty miserable running in general until I can do about 5 miles at a time. But the first mile or two is usually just bleh, and then, yeah, it all clicks!

Now that I KNOW it will all be easier once I can get to that 5 mile distance, it makes it easier to suffer through the training to get there, but when I first started running it was just plain awful.

I didn't do a very long run yesterday, but I did run up a hill that's about 0.8 miles of just up (4.8% grade?) at my old flat ground pace, so hurray!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

I will add my voice to the chorus - I absolutely feel much better after the first half hour or so of running. For my last half marathon, I actually ran negative mile splits for miles 9-13, and I didn't feel all that bad when I finished. That race convinced me that a marathon was possible for me

I ran a fast-for-me 5K on the treadmill on Monday. On Tuesday, I got a couple of immunizations, so my bike interval workout that night was only so-so. Then, I had to skip my run yesterday because I felt so awful from the shots (chills, fever, tired, blah!). I did another 5K on the treadmill today, and I'm moving my long run up to tomorrow because I'll be on a plane flying to Costa Rica on Saturday!
    2010 Scott Speedster Limited/Bontrager Inform RL
    2008 Cannondale Rush 2 Feminine/Terry Butterfly
    2005 Cannondale F400/Terry Butterfly

Thanks for all the feedback, running gals! I can run about 5 miles max, though I haven't done that much for awhile. I generally only run for about 40-45 minutes, so I'm only getting 10-15 minutes of the "high", but it's really nice when it comes!

I would like to run longer, but most of my runs are done at our work gym on the treadmill, and time is limited. I am not very good at outdoor runs because it's usually either too cold or too hot for me -- I am very much a wimp when it comes to running and temperature zone. I don't ride in very cold temps either, but I will ride in hot temps b/c of the wind I create. That doesn't happen w/running, so I get uncomfortably miserable too fast.

Don't know about the age thing -- I will be 50 next month, and blessedly, it doesn't take me quite that long to warm up either running or on the bike.
    Emily

Funny that you ask, my husband and I were talking about that on our last run, we both agreed that for the first half hour it feels more like fighting your body and then somehow it's so much easier and fun. We were asking ourselves if your body first tries to convince you to stop, and when you obviously don't, surrenders and makes things easier for you.

I managed to get in a 4 mile run and 2 mile run this week. I'm really short on my training schedule this week. I was supposed to get 9 miles in today but freezing rain this morning has made conditions outside too treacherous. It's supposed to warm up and switch to rain this afternoon. I may try and get in a few miles later today, but it won't be 9.

Fingers crossed I can get back on track next week!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

3.75 miles on the treadmill today - .25 walking at the beginning and end, and 3.25 running in the middle. Didn't feel like I "had it" today (even after the first 30 minutes, tho it did get better!), but I pushed through and am glad I did it. Was hoping to run outside, but it was still too cold for me (40).
    Emily

Today was supposed to be a long run, 15ish miles. But when I got up, the ran was coming in almost sideways, and it's supposed to be raining and windy all day. So it was off to the Y and the treadmill... Only had the patience for 7 miles; Monday I'll have try to get up early enough to get in that long run...

For me, the first mile always feels icky; I'll start feeling good somewhere between 2 and 4 miles, usually. But that first mile, I'm fighting off inertia and the creakiness of impending middle-age.

Ran 3 today while I watched my husband disappear into the distance - better to let him run ahead and get his wiggles out than ask him to stay with me when I'm feeling slowish.

7 "long run" tomorrow...40's-50's and damp - snow is melting but sloooooowwwwly up here on Pine Hill. Snow's gone everywhere else in RI.
    I can do five more miles.