Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

AIDS/LifeCycle (ALC) 10

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was surprised not to see any ALC threads here yet, so I thought I'd start one.

This will be my first AIDS/LifeCycle, so I figure the 10th Anniversary is a great time to start. Actually, this will be -- by far -- my longest ride ever. I completed my very first century last August, so it's a bit of a leap to a 7-day, 545 mile ride. Go big or go home, right?

I'm still struggling with a few things: getting in shape (training is one thing, but I'd also love to lose 25+ pounds between now and June); fundraising; and general confidence that, insanity or no, I will actually be able to complete this ride. As a relative newbie to road cycling, I'm looking to make the transition to clipless pedals sometime in the next month so I have plenty of time to get used to them.

Any ALC veterans out there... advice? Anyone else signed up to ride this year?

Eva
    (www.tofighthiv.org/goto/egr)

Welcome to TE. I'm a vet CAR4, also 4 ALC's. My sister and niece are veterans of the long ride. You'll find lots of "epic ride" experience and support here.

Thanks for riding and welcome to TE

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=27013
    Last edited by Trek420; 02-19-2011 at 05:49 PM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Welcome and best of luck to you! I've done the ride twice, and those two times are the only two times in my life I've done a century ride so you are well ahead of me already. Enjoy the training and more importantly, enjoy the ride. It's a fantastic experience! I'd love to do it again, but won't be this year. Any specific issues, just ask!
    Specialized Tricross Sport / Specialized Lithia 143

Thanks, y'all!

I'm very excited and very nervous. I keep going back and forth between feeling confident that I'll be able to do the whole thing and certain that I won't be able to hack it. Then again, that's exactly how I felt about the century last summer and I made it in the end (perhaps the last one to ride across the finish, but I rode all 100 of those miles).

I do have one, somewhat trivial question. The packing lists and various info keep telling us there won't be a way to recharge things like cell phones at camp. Is that actually true? I'd really love to take my iphone so I can at least update friends and family (and donors!) along the ride. If there really won't be a way to recharge, I'm considering getting a solar charger.

And now, back to the indoor trainer while we wait out some surprise snow showers here in Portland...

There are no trivial questions. Ask away. Lots of trouring experience here, not just ALC.

*Keeping in touch in camp. There are the "top secret charging areas" but bring the solar charger, other riders and crew will thank you. Or consider blogging after the ride.

*The ride will go live on the web from Day 0. Your friends/family/sponsors can watch for pictures of you. They really get a feel for the ride and can send a message to you that will be in camp. You can't reply to those messages but I found they really kept me going.

*What to bring or leave home: more details to follow and I'm sure many will chime in.
    Last edited by Trek420; 02-22-2011 at 08:17 PM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

You go girl!!!! You're going to have such an exciting week on that ride Gorgeous scenery, exhilerating (did I spell that right? doesn't look quite right) climbs and downhills, the compelling rhythms of wheel whirr and "on your left", the good food, the evening programs, meeting new friends in camp. It was really a great week. I didn't do every mile, far from it, but I did my longest ride ever so far on Day 1 (83 miles, I think that was) and thereafter about half of the remainder, getting up and down all the major hills before my left knee called an end to each day. Didn't really matter that I didn't do every mile, though I'd have loved to do more of them. Anyhoo ... don't let that worry you. You, who've already done a century, are gonna do fine! NOW ... as for recharging. 'Tis true. No recharge access in camp. Some people head out to a café or something (not always very near camp, tho) and sneek a plug into the wall while they sip a coffee or a beer. I went the solar route. I set it up outside the tent to catch some morning rays, and attached it to my helmet to fill up while riding (looked silly, but that was pretty normal for the ride ) It wasn't as effective as I'd hoped, but I managed to keep my cell phone up and running all week. And did we charge up yours as well, UK?
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

Welcome to the ride. You must have been reading my mind I was going to post to see who was riding.

I rode in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009. Missed last year. In 2006 I was in the middle of a ugly divorce and it literally saved me. I found this to be the most rewarding experience, everyone is your family, everyone is there for you if you are having a bad day. It was great.

I am signed up for the ride this year, but I'm on the fence because I have some injuries and am just now getting back into shape. Also for health reasons I'm on the fence, I have asthma and it is really hard for me to get my lung capacity back. And since I have to get up and pee twice a night, the idea of climbing out of my tent in the middle of the night and hitting the port of potty, makes me (not want to skp the ride), but get a hotel at least one or two nights.

I've ridden every single day in completion at least twice. Had some minor knee issues and in 2009 we were sacked on day 6 due to rain.

No worries about the length, you can do it. I'm terribly slow, but I always make it in mostly because there are so many people who cheer you on.

For cell phone charging go solar, or take a rest at a coffee shop.

My participant number is 2069.

Feel free to pm me, we can e-mail and maybe meet at the ride.

There are tons of small portable charging devices that run on either AA batteries (Duracell makes one) or rechargeable Li-ion batteries. Callpod's Fueltank Duo recharged my phone and Garmin 705 for two nights on the 3-Day walks and I'm sure it would have recharged a few more times.
    http://www.callpod.com/products/fueltank
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.