Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Spin Class - What to Wear?

To disable ads, please log-in.

The local YMCA is having an open house for my workplace and one of the classes that we can try out is a spin class. What should I wear? Thanks
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

People at the gym I used to attend wore bike shorts (combo of padded or non padded), regular sneakers and T shirts or sports bras.

I didn't see anyone in full drawn out cycling gear, most people were dressed in regular work-out clothes. At the YMCA, I would think you would be safe with regular non padded bike shorts, a T shirt and regular sneakers. Have fun!

I take spin classes on a weekly basis, and I just wear my regular workout clothes - a sleeveless tech top and some workout capris. I sweat buckets when I do any kind of cardio workout, so I always bring 2 small (hand towel size) towels with me. I also wear a pair of MTB shoes with SPD cleats because it just feels more "natural" for me to be clipped in on the spin bike. I've never worn actual cycling shorts for spin class, since the classes I take are only 45 minutes and I always end up doing other stuff while I'm at the gym anyways and I'd rather not have to change (there is no way I could lift weights or do other cardio wearing padded cycling shorts). Oh and yes I do change into my normal running shoes after class. (:
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

I would definitely wear cycling shorts unless you have the option to bring your own saddle and seatpost (check with the gym, but many spin bikes don't take regular seatposts, and if you do that remember you'll have to adjust your tilt, since the spin bike doesn't necessarily have the same seat angle as your own bike).

The OEM saddles on those things are HORRIBLE (squishy with really wide noses), and the last thing I want to do is be sitting on a seam in regular shorts and making it even worse.

I usually wore a cotton T-shirt when I did trainer classes, though. You're not moving around much, so chafing isn't an issue; you're not going through temperature differentials; and cotton helps reduce the size of the puddle underneath you.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I wear my regular cycling clothes. At least I used to... but at my new gym it's more low tech, so I will probably wear bike shorts with a sleeveless tech top, or maybe the Terry Eurohalter, which can double as a bike top, or great for any workouts.
    I know I'd never just wear a sports bra with my shorts!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I wear my regular cycling clothes. At least I used to... but at my new gym it's more low tech, so I will probably wear bike shorts with a sleeveless tech top, or maybe the Terry Eurohalter, which can double as a bike top, or great for any workouts.
    I know I'd never just wear a sports bra with my shorts!
    +1. My Y's spin room is always hot, so I sweat a ton. I typically wore a Eurohalter and bike shorts. Bring at least one water bottle and a towel.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I just did my first spin class this week. I wasn't sure what to wear and didn't want to roll in looking like I thought I was Lance if that wasn't the vibe of class. I wore regular workout clothes but I would never go again without a chamois. The seat was horrible and the seams of my capris did not feel good on the lady parts! I did take my shoes (spd cleats) and my gloves. I'm a bit of a germaphobe so the gloves were mostly so I didn't have to touch the bar!

On a side note, I found spinning to be pretty darn boring! I might give it a second try bc the Inst couldn't get her ipod working and had to use her phone which meant the music was awful. Not sure if that's her typical music or just what she could pull together.

Bike shorts, some sort of wicking top, bike shoes, bring a towel. I can't imagine NOT wearing shorts without a chamois.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I usually regret not wearing bike or at least tri shorts to spin class. I generally wear them with a regular workout t-shirt and bike shoes.

My gym has one super-bikey instructor who wears a club bike jersey when he teaches. Some of the guys (haven't seen women do this) who go to his class also wear bike kits. The total overkill is good for a giggle.
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

Thanks everyone. Dumb me, didn't realize you could use actual cycling shoes. I've got some tech shirts, will probably wear regular shorts - don't know if I want my co-workers to see me in 'lycra' bike shorts. Probably bring my gloves too, maybe a sweatband
    2006 Trek 7100

Yup, you can usually get away with spd and/or look cleats.
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

I've been attending spinning classes for about 2 years now; I wear bike shorts and my shoes with SPD cleats - I understand almost every spinning bike out there has SPD on one side. We do have a couple of spinning bikes that have SPD on one side and Look on the other, but most are a combination of platform and SPD.

If I am going just to spin when I generally just wear one of my jerseys as it wicks better than my other tops. If I am strength training before/after then I wear my normal workout top, bike shorts, and of course I always change shoes before class. I HATE those toe cages on the platform side.

Sometimes I wear lycra shorts, other times I wear my mtb baggies, it just depends on what is clean. No one else cares what I have on and they have too much time on their hands if they do

our gym has a minimal number of bikes with cleats on the pedals. You need to get there early to snag one,or you'll be using toe clips.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

It's interesting to hear that so many of you wear actual cycling shorts for spin class. Maybe it's the area I live in, or the clientele, or whatever, but I can honestly count on 1 hand, the amount of times that I've seen cycling shorts being worn during ANY of the spin classes in my gym (a Bally's). Cycling shoes are a different story, as I see many of those...but shorts, nope. Most just wear regular gym clothes and sneakers. On the rare occasion, I sometimes see folks wearing regular STREET clothes. My gym is pretty lax on enforcing the "wear appropriate workout clothing" rule. I see guys working out in jeans and work boots all the time. Seems uncomfortable to me, but whatever....
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

One other thing I forgot to ask. Do you use your own Ipod?
    2006 Trek 7100