Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So, if you have a trainer...

To disable ads, please log-in.

Do you need a trainer wheel/tire? I may have a deal on a used CycleOps Mag Trainer, and I'm wondering how difficult it will be to use. Except for the possibility of crashing through the wall, I love the ease of my rollers. Will a trainer wear out my tire faster?
    Be yourself, to the extreme!

Yes, you'll wear out your tire faster. Before you invest in a trainer tire, try finding an old one that you no longer use on the road (or ask your LBS) and swap that for your current rear tire. (If you don't have one, get the cheapest road tire you can find.) If you end up with black stuff everywhere, then you may want to consider an actual trainer tire.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Do you actually change the tire every time? I'm thinking I would mount it on a cheap wheel, so it's easy to switch in and out. Often I don't know if I'm riding in or out until the morning of, so convenience counts.

I have a busted wheel that I don't use outside (it's no longer round) mounted with an old tire and a spare cassette. I swap it on my bike when I want to ride on the trainer.

As long as I keep the tire on that wheel pumped up to 110 psi and tighten the trainer to the wheel as hard as I can, I don't get black bits flying everywhere. The times that I've had the black bits flying, it's been either the tire pressure was too low or it wasn't tightened enough, which allowed the tire to slip and have black bits fly everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post
    I'm thinking I would mount it on a cheap wheel, so it's easy to switch in and out.
    That's what I do. I mounted an old tire to a cheap wheel for riding on my trainer. My trainer eats tires! It leaves a big flat spot down the center of the tire.
    Bork Bork, Hork Hork!!

Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post
    Do you actually change the tire every time? I'm thinking I would mount it on a cheap wheel, so it's easy to switch in and out. Often I don't know if I'm riding in or out until the morning of, so convenience counts.
    I've only got the one bike, but since I live in Ohio and we've been buried in snow and cold all but three days, I haven't really had a chance to ride. I'll be switching it out properly once it warms up.

I only have one bike and one wheel, so i don't have an extra wheel with cassette to switch out. I just bought new, cheap, hearty tire to wear down on my trainer. when i'm ready to ride outside again i'll put the other tire back on.

I always keep an eye out on performancebike to see if their deal of the day is a tire.

But the trainers do ruin the tires FAST. so just keep an eye out of the one you have on.

I bought a trainer tire (Continental) 4 years ago. Still use it every winter. Works like a dream. No black tire stuff anywhere. I have to get my LBS to put the thing on, though. JP, one of the owners had it on in less than a minute....I only wish I had the skill...

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD

Ugh. I actually just spent the money and bought a cheep-o wheel and trainer tire. I figured out that, depending on the weather, I'll be switching it back and forth on a pretty regular basis, and this will be the most efficient way to go. I got the trainer for a great price, so I'll just consider it all an investment.

Bump: I'm wanting to buy a trainer and spare wheel. My bike is equipped with Sram but I've found a wheel with shimano 105 cassette. Can I mix a 105 cassette with sram components?

The wheel details: Sta-tru 700c Alex-r450 2200 rear sil wheel, kinetic 700x23 trainer tire and shimano 105 11-28 5700 10 speed cassette

Bike details: Specialized Dolce Sram Apex with SRAM Apex, 10-speed, 11-32t

I think SRAM chains and cassettes are Shimano-compatible. I imagine that it'd work the opposite way too, but I'd check.

I know this is an old thread but along the same lines, would it be okay to use a non-disc wheel for the trainer? I know I wouldn't be able to stop but that's not a big deal I suppose. Then I could use the old wheel from my Trek if I can find a trainer cheap.
    2007 Trek 7.2 FX
    2015 Felt F85X with Specialized Oura seat, Specialized Road Pro II handlebars, and Look Quartz pedals

Why not? My only hesitation would be if there were curious kids or pets who might stick a finger or nose where it doesn't belong, neccessitating a panic stop. Otherwise, I think friction will stop your rear wheel well enough.

Hmmm no kids but I could picture my cat trying to stick his paw through the spokes...that's something to consider...
    2007 Trek 7.2 FX
    2015 Felt F85X with Specialized Oura seat, Specialized Road Pro II handlebars, and Look Quartz pedals

the noise from the trainer scares my cats enough that they have no interest in coming near me when it's moving…
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N