Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Group Ride.. Please Help!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I went to the LBS and picked up my new bike (squeeeeee!!) and somehow got myself talked into a group ride on Monday! I had fully intended to take advantage of the group rides in my area, I just planned on owning my bike for more than 3 days when I did!!

It's a coffeeshop ride. 5 miles there, get some tea and scones and 5 miles back. I met the leader, he assured me it was a casual no rider left behind ride. So it doesn't seem terribly scary now that I'm adjusting to the idea

Any major do's and don't's I should worry about? I've never ridden with a group. Ever. So most of my anxiety is over the whole group thing not the bike itself. As far as the bike goes I'm head over heels in love

Congrats on the new bike! What kind did you get?? Would love photos

Can't help on group rides as I have yet to do any myself.
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

Relax! You have met the leader and you have been honest about your experience level. It sounds like a wonderful way to be introduced into group riding. When I started I had no idea about gearing or anything else. Some very patient people rode with me and taught me so much. Group rides vary in purpose, speed, distance, etc. I now ride with a group 4 of my 5 riding days. It takes time to be comfortable but I went from being scared to ride behind someone and only able to ride 10 -15 miles to holding my own in a paceline for rides going 70+ miles. Let us know how it goes!
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"~John F. Kennedy

Congrats on your new ride! How new are you to riding in general? If you're otherwise comfortable riding and being on the road, riding in a casual group won't be that big of a deal to you.

A few do/don'ts: Ride predictably. Maintain a straight line and a steady pace. Don't do anything hurky jerky. Signal your intent using both hand and voice signals. Maintain adequate space between other riders, i.e., don't "tailgate." Signal for potholes and other road hazards for the riders behind you. Call out "car up," "car back, and "car around" as needed. Follow the rules of the road, even if others aren't.

I would introduce yourself to the others in the group as the opportunity arises. Some groups can be kind of reserved, so don't be shy about taking the lead. And have fun!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

It's a coffeeshop ride. 5 miles there, get some tea and scones and 5 miles back. I met the leader, he assured me it was a casual no rider left behind ride. So it doesn't seem terribly scary now that I'm adjusting to the idea

Don't over think this. It's just a 1/2 hour ride to the coffee shop with other people. If the ride leader has assured you that its a casual ride, give him a chance to demonstrate that. If the group leader is any good, he/she will explain the game plan before the ride, and will likely make sure everyone is introduced and go over the details.

On the other hand, if this doesn't happen, introduce yourself to the first person, and the next, and the next. If they start the ride without saying where you are going, or how you are going to get there, or seem to be lacking in other preliminaries (helmets, signals, etc.) ASK. The other riders may assume that you know what they know - which may be everything - or nothing.

If they don't do this, then ask yourself if you really want to ride with them.

I live in Greenville, too!!! I've only ridden in a group a couple of times, too. When i did it was a really small group though. Like... 7 people with no paceline. It was also all women, i knew none of them. I just showed up introduced myself, my bike that's too big for me, and said I knew nothing about riding a bike with more than one other person. When summer starts i would definitely recommend this group. It's women's only aand leaves from Furman University.

When i rode with them I just sat close to the back of the group so i could see everyone and just followed the person in front of me. I didn't try to get too close to her since we weren't really going that fast. They stopped at every stop sign and yelled out and pointed to any hazards in the road.

Are you going to be riding on the Swamp Rabbit Trail? If you are riding on the trail, there shouldn't be a lot of traffic on a Monday unless its nice out. It's a little narrow for a group to ride on, so just keep an eye out for oncoming bike path traffic, bikes or otherwise. Especially if you're going to be passing another person or riding beside them. Otherwise just keep to the right.

If its a Monday ride, might it be the one leaving from Great Escape? If you are, just be aware that most of the roads are busier on that side on Greenville. Stay close to the side of the road but be aware of potholes and trash in the road.

I agree with Indysteel and withm. The leader should describe the ride and commands before the ride. Especially if he knows you're new to group rides. There are plenty of rides in the Greenville area, so if one does not work for you, there will for sure be another that does.

Yes, it is the one from Great Escape. Nothing like diving in feet first huh? On the other hand riding in the city terrifies me so a group ride might be just the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by FunSize View Post
    I live in Greenville, too!!! I've only ridden in a group a couple of times, too. When i did it was a really small group though. Like... 7 people with no paceline. It was also all women, i knew none of them. I just showed up introduced myself, my bike that's too big for me, and said I knew nothing about riding a bike with more than one other person. When summer starts i would definitely recommend this group. It's women's only aand leaves from Furman University.

When i rode with them I just sat close to the back of the group so i could see everyone and just followed the person in front of me. I didn't try to get too close to her since we weren't really going that fast. They stopped at every stop sign and yelled out and pointed to any hazards in the road.

Are you going to be riding on the Swamp Rabbit Trail? If you are riding on the trail, there shouldn't be a lot of traffic on a Monday unless its nice out. It's a little narrow for a group to ride on, so just keep an eye out for oncoming bike path traffic, bikes or otherwise. Especially if you're going to be passing another person or riding beside them. Otherwise just keep to the right.

If its a Monday ride, might it be the one leaving from Great Escape? If you are, just be aware that most of the roads are busier on that side on Greenville. Stay close to the side of the road but be aware of potholes and trash in the road.

I agree with Indysteel and withm. The leader should describe the ride and commands before the ride. Especially if he knows you're new to group rides. There are plenty of rides in the Greenville area, so if one does not work for you, there will for sure be another that does.

I actually would feel more comfortable with more people if I were riding on the city streets. I feel like I'm so small that if I'm by myself someone wouldn't see me and clip me or cut me off. I think being with people who can show you how to ride on those streets will be good for you!

speed

Please don't speed up then coast (ie..not pedal) then speed up. Grrr.

Be predictable. Don't break suddenly. Listen to the other riders wheels-they're a good sign of what could be ahead. When following someone bigger(ie taller!) try and look through their arms.

Always obey traffic rules.

links

This website http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/ & some of the info on it has been quite useful for me as a newbie to bunch riding.

Should you like the ride w the folks & want to venture to a bigger group etc etc.. here are some more links
    http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2010/11/rolling-through/

This is the only road based tip site i have..Most of mine are either MTB or Track related

So I went on the ride this morning I had told you about. I bet you'll do better than me! Get this: as my bf and I pull into the parking lot on our bikes he stops in front of me so I have to turn my bike to the right... but I clip out on my left side. So I fall over in front of all these people I don't know! What a great first impression, right. I bet they all thought i'd be horrible and probably stayed their distance from me!

You'll be fine on Monday! As long as you don't fall over upon meeting them you've done better than me!

So... after today I would recommend that if you are "stopping" or "slowing" to call it out. That seemed to be super helpful for everyone today.

So I went on the ride this morning I had told you about. I bet you'll do better than me! Get this: as my bf and I pull into the parking lot on our bikes he stops in front of me so I have to turn my bike to the right... but I clip out on my left side. So I fall over in front of all these people I don't know! What a great first impression, right. I bet they all thought i'd be horrible and probably stayed their distance from me!

You'll be fine on Monday! As long as you don't fall over upon meeting them you've done better than me!

So... after today I would recommend that if you are "stopping" or "slowing" to call it out. That seemed to be super helpful for everyone today.
    Omg...how embarrassing! Nothing says newbie like dropping your bike :P I hope it got better after that! It was a beautiful day for a ride I'm out near Greer and it was definitely a bit breezy but still a gorgeous day!

Falling over like that is a rite of passage. Everybody does is & the part that hurts worse is the ego!

Lots of good advice about group riding - especially about being predictable. I'll be anxious to hear how it went!

I used to ride with a fairly fast women's group. We would get new people almost every week. Once, we were in a double paceline, doing about 20-25 MPH, everybody being good (i.e., predictable!) when the lady next to me says, "Isn't this fun? And I've never gone over 10 mph before!"
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

What Dogmama said.

I am dependent on caffeine and I hadn't had any on a very early group ride... I still had a car then... I get the bike out, put the wheel on and we try to ride off only... I put it on with the derailleur on the wrong side. No amount of "No! Don't wait for me!" would be heard so the all got to watch (at least it was a quick release and short-lived... and... it was funny... them's what don't like me can leave me alone.)

Don't feel like you should start behind everybody if there's a break, especially if you *are* the slowest one there. They'll be able to work on around you.

Friend of mine lives in Easley, name of Clyde. If you see him, say howdy from Sioux in Illinois

Probably one of the best tips I ever got which served me well in group riding is the bike always goes where the eyes are looking!

My riding partner always had to look at me while riding beside me and talking, she scared the bejeebers out of me! She was always turning into my front wheel.....I had the hardest time breaking her of that habit!

Always keep a straight line, if you do need to swerve to avoid something in the road, shout it out, point it out to those behind you and gradually move around it don't abruptly swerve! Keep your eyes on the wheel in front of you while scanning the road ahead, can you say multitasking? LOL

Keep a safe (at least a wheel distance) behind the person in front of you and slightly to the right or left of their wheel. Unless in a pace line then you want to be within inches of their wheel which involves a lot of skill and mostly TRUST of the abilities of the riders in front of you!

Okay....it makes me want to go ride...
    Life is like a 10 speed bike, we all have gears we never use.
    Charles Schultz

"The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community."Ann Strong, Minneapolis Tribune, 1895