Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Trek 7.2 fx WSD vs Specialized Vita

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello Ladies,

I am brand new to cycling (haven't owned a bike in 20+ years) and looking for a fun bike to ride around town/ bike paths/ short rides and exercise.

I have narrowed it down to the Trek 7.2 fx WSD and Specialized Vita...
    I know nothing about components/ quality etc. (total newbie- it all seems like a foreign language to me!)

I rode the men's versions of both at the local bike shops and thought they both rode great.

Any suggestions??

Welcome!! I think both of those bikes would be a great ride. Two factors that I would consider is, most importantly the ride, but also important is the support you would receive from the shop you buy from. My local Trek dealer offers lifetime adjustments with new bike purchases-- which as a newbie-- I've used on many occasions!!

Outside of ride and support from your dealer, I'd get the most bike you can afford. If you go Trek and can swing it, consider going up to the 7.3 (or even 7.5) and Specialized, consider going with the Vita Sport (or even Elite) as you'll get a carbon fork on the FX 7.5 and Vita Elite and would really do a lot for your ride quality.

Shannon
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

Thanks Shannon!

I know the Trek comes with lifetime tune-ups at Bike Doctor. I need to check on the Specialized (different bike shop).

After reading a lot of reviews and forums, I am thinking about going for the Trek 7.3 Fx WSD. Unfortuntely the 7.5 is not in my budget

Also, they only had the men's version at the store (17in)- so I did not get a chance to ride the WSD. Does it usually make much of a difference? I am 5'8", slim build and a bit leggy.

Quote Originally Posted by spidervmd View Post
    Thanks Shannon!

I know the Trek comes with lifetime tune-ups at Bike Doctor. I need to check on the Specialized (different bike shop).

After reading a lot of reviews and forums, I am thinking about going for the Trek 7.3 Fx WSD. Unfortuntely the 7.5 is not in my budget

Also, they only had the men's version at the store (17in)- so I did not get a chance to ride the WSD. Does it usually make much of a difference? I am 5'8", slim build and a bit leggy.
    It really depends on your proportions - some women really need the WSD geometry, other women do not benefit from it. Others here will be able to speak more specifically on the differences. Many women are leggy but have shorter arms, proportionally speaking, and the WSD designs are meant to address that. It isn't just about height and inseam, but about your reach as well - you have to be able to reach the handlebars comfortably with at least some bend in your elbows. No locking the arms

+1 on what Catrin said!

So does the carbon fiber fork on the Vita Elite make that much of a difference? And which is more durable (carbon fiber or aluminum)? Remember I am a newbie

-Dorian

I think durability on each would be about the same. It depends on who you talk to, as some think Carbon has a higher potential failure rate if compromised (crashed), and damaged structurally where you can't really SEE it's damaged. Carbon Fiber gains it's strength by the weave of the material and if damaged it looses integrity pretty drastically. Alu or Steel will bend/flex before it fails, carbon is incredibility strong and stiff, but once it reaches it's breaking point, it breaks.

The main thing about the carbon is it absorbs a lot more of the vibrations, etc from the road/path, which means less going into your hands/arms.

Shannon

Thanks for the info!

It seems that I can get the Specialized Vita Elite for about the same price as the Trek 7.3 Fx.... so maybe it would be better to go for the Specialized to get the carbon fork. That dealer also has tune ups included, and is closer (within easy riding distance) from my house.

I also think the red and white is really snazzy

I sent you a private message about my 2010 Vita Comp that I'm selling in case you're interested.

Ciao
    2011 Jamis Coda Femme (with Coda Elite upgrade)
    1997 Trek 730 Multitrack
    Yep, I prefer STEEL!

I am also a total newbie, and the terminology is practically like learning Chinese to me. I had no idea what I needed or didn't need, but I spent some time doing some research. I didn't want to buy more bike than I needed, but I also didn't want to later feel like my bike isn't serving me to the degree that I need it to.

I decided that a carbon fork was going to be important to me since I wanted to minimize shock on long rides, but I also couldn't justify the price of a brand new 7.5 or 7.6. I think the carbon forks start on the 7.3's (but don't quote me on that) and the jump from a 7.2 to a 7.3 isn't too steep.

I liked the feel of the 7.5, and I kind of neurotically looked all over to find an older model 7.5 or 7.6 that fit in my budget. If you go to Trek's website, you can go to the "find a dealer" section. There might be a shop in your area that is selling a past season 7.5. I ended up ordering my bike from a shop out of state, but having it shipped to my LBS and assembled there. It was about 40% less than the 2011 model of the same bike. And FYI, as of March 1 (and in some shops, before then) Trek raised their prices mid-season for their bikes by 5%. If you're going to buy new, I would see if your LBS will knock at least 5% off to bring it down to last month's prices.

Cheers and good luck!

I'm 5'6", thin, "leggy" and bought the 2011 FX 7.3 WSD and really love this bike. It came with a 6 month "wellness check up & adjustment" through my local bike shop, so I go in monthly. Every time I'm there I tell them how much I "love" my new bike! I have ridden it more in four months than I rode my prior bike (a 21 speed Electra Townie) in four years! Have fun. Will you get fenders, kickstand, etc.?

Oh, I just thought of something else that I observed with myself and it might apply to others. I find that I can easily get caught up in a lot of the technicalities about what features are better/stronger, etc. Years ago I spent a lot of time delving into what components are best, what upgrades are best, etc. and bought a bike that was technically great, but I hated riding it and never rode it.
    So this time I test rode about 6 bikes and when I found the one I loved riding (this will be subjective) I bought it. I realize, this time around, that I don't bike enough or know enough about all the highly detailed specifics to let too much of that factor into what I bought. I had a rough budget and just knew that I wanted a bike that felt good, shifted flawlessly and quietly, had a seat that I didn't even realize I was sitting on (i.e., it was very comfortable), and where I felt connected to the ground and was responsive. So the FX 7.3 did that for me and I have no regrets. As I bike more I'm sure that I will develop stronger opinions about specific components for my next bike, but right now I'm set.
    Good luck.