Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thank you. the Mister has just got home and checked everything over, so we'll be back on the bike and trailer tomorrow a little bit wiser, a little bit further out from the kerb and a little bit slower when going over it. A loaded trailer helps a lot in terms of stability, it's definitely more flighty without Small Girl in it.

I forgot to say, I spent a good hour reattaching the spare hitch point to the Marin last weekend and testing it and it's fine now. The Spesh is easier for getting the trailer up the hills but the Marin has better visibility from its more upright riding position, and also rolls a bit faster as it has more road-friendly tyres.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    Thank you Karma, what a lovely story.

I tipped the (empty) trailer over today on the way to pick dd up from nursery I ride down a road, then go straight over a dropped kerb to join a shared pedestrian/cycle path. Every day it works like a charm. Except today I had a car sitting alongside the end of the trailer which wouldn't either go past or drop back (it happens a bit, tends to be older couples peering into the trailer). So I took the dropped kerb at a narrower angle than I would normally do as there was no space to move out, and the trailer went onto its side on the pavement (sidewalk). Followed by the woman in the car yelling "Is there anyone in there? Is there anyone in there?" at the trailer before her husband sped off while she was still shouting. I checked the bike and trailer all over, phoned the LBS and checked it all over again, and then rode to nursery and brought small girl back very slowly and carefully. Other than one small rip to the outer cloth and a scuff to the paintwork on the bumper it is fine. I still feel a bit shook up but will learn from this to take a bit more of the road earlier on and to hold my nerve even when people are driving too close. They had ample time and space to pass me, and complete visibility of the road ahead. I'm very grateful that it didn't happen with dd in the trailer.
    You must have been pretty shook up. I'm sorry this happened to you but glad that your little girl was not in it. Sounds like you learned a lesson the easier way, scary none the less.
    Bike Writer

http://pedaltohealth.blogspot.com/

Schwinn Gateway unknown year
    Specalized Expedition Sport Low-Entry 2011

Glad you are alright. That is scary. I have that happen sometimes too with cars, they slow and hover just behind me. Always creepy.

One time I rolled the trailer with DD in it, I think she was 1.5 years old at the time. It startled her, but the roll cage worked perfectly and she was very secure in the trailer. Phew!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Thank you both. She has a helmet and a 5-point harness in there, so I'm sure (in my head at least) that she is well protected. Thinking about it this morning there is a fractionally longer route I can take to the bike path that eliminates the dropped kerb.

Limewave, that must have been startling for you too. It's very reassuring that I'm not the only person to have done this.

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    I can't speak as a parent, but speaking as a former child, I'm glad my parents were somewhat adventurous.
    I went everywhere in a bike trailer as a kid, and those are some of my favorite memories of childhood!

hey everyone - another quick update on here. The summer is over and I'm towing Small Girl again. She will start school in a year's time and I am determined not to be part of the congestion around the local schools so am planning to become a more frequent trailer user in the meantime. She is so sweet, whenever I shortcut across a bit of green she shouts "Back on the road, Mummy!" In her nursery log-book one of the staff has written about how Small Girl told her that Mummy would come and collect her on the bike at lunchtime <3 Autumn has a strong foothold now and we are getting some very bumpy rides over paths carpeted with acorns and beech nuts.

The local schools that I've visited so far has been very positive about cycling there, and both have offered to provide space to store the trailer during the day if I don't want to tow it home and back empty, one also offered to store my bike as well! It has been very inspiring.

Good for you hebe. Now that the school term has started again I'm back to dodging the school run 4x4s pulling over without signalling and car doors opening on my commute to work. On a positive note, I've noticed more parents riding to school with their kids and a few more trailers and cargo bikes too. The kids always look like they're enjoying the ride, though I don't blame your little one for wanting a smoother ride. It's conker season too of course. Nice to know that the school is being supportive. Maybe we are making progress, albeit a bit slowly

Quote Originally Posted by Sardine View Post
    . It's conker season too of course.
    What's a conker?

Horse chestnuts. They're all over the ground at the moment, especially in parks and on tree lined streets. Defintely to be avoided when you're going downhill at speed on skinny tyres.

we call them horse chestnuts, i believe
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    What's a conker?
    Horse-chestnuts - shiny brown nuts in a very spiky outer husk.

Sardine, the school run horrifies me. I really don't get why one would need a 4x4 to take a single child to school when you don't live in a rural village farm.

Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    . I really don't get why one would need a 4x4 to take a single child to school when you don't live in a rural village farm.
    It's an American thing.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

uh, to my surprise, Sardine is from the UK!! she's the one who mentioned the 4x4s I am rather shocked.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

They're pretty common in London and I believe other UK cities too and it's got nothing to do with potholes. Most never even get dirty.

Potholes as justification for owning an SUV? LOL.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM