Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hard fall dislodge IUD???

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yesterday I had a hard fall while winter biking. Dumb, I know. Going over 20 mph and my bike slipped on ice. Down I went on my hip. I couldn't sit on my left side all day yesterday and it's still quite painful today.

Anywho . . . I had some spotting yesterday afternoon. Wondering if it could have affected my IUD? Dislodged it or something? Is that even possible?

I think it's pretty unlikely that you did any serious damage to the device. The uterus is a fairly muscular organ that cramps on a regular basis, and IUDs aren't damaged by that. You did take a hard fall, though, so maybe it would be a good idea to check with your doctor. He/she can do an ultrasound to make sure everything looks ok in there.

It's more likely that the IUD or the strings shifted enough to cause some abrasion that led to the spotting. If I do a difficult bike workout close to the start of my period (when the cervix tends to be low and open), the string of my IUD rubs on my cervix which hurts like crazy and causes minor spotting.
    2010 Scott Speedster Limited/Bontrager Inform RL
    2008 Cannondale Rush 2 Feminine/Terry Butterfly
    2005 Cannondale F400/Terry Butterfly

I'm getting into the Chiropractor as soon as I can this week. I can look in the mirror and see that my hips are off.

Are you sure you didn't break anything? It sounds like you must be in terrible pain. If you did fall hard enough to break a bone, it might be worth having your IUD checked out just for piece of mind.

Heal up fast!
    2010 Scott Speedster Limited/Bontrager Inform RL
    2008 Cannondale Rush 2 Feminine/Terry Butterfly
    2005 Cannondale F400/Terry Butterfly

Saw the doctor yesterday. She chuckled when she walked in the room then asked if I was "done with my bike yet?" Half the time I'm in there its because I've crashed. Doesn't crashing go hand-in-hand with mountain biking??? Anyways, she said the IUD is probably fine, the bleeding was from soft-tissue trauma. I'm feeling so much better today. Everything is back in its place.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Nice to hear.

Falling...I do that too. Maybe we could call for a suspension of the laws of gravity or something.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.