Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Is $270 A Reasonable Fine For Bicycling Through Red Light?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Heads up!
    After 40+ years of no worries about cycling through red lights in Central Park (during car-free hours only) the NYPD has begun to target cyclists in spandex.

http://gothamist.com/2011/02/11/is_2...for_bicycl.php
    ccnyc
    2006 Serotta Concours/Terry Butterfly Ti

What do motorists get for running a red light?
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    They get t-boned They have steel and side curtain airbags.

I'd consider it a warning. Could be a far worse penalty
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    I can't find that info anywhere. It's probably less than $270. The NYPD is specifically sending a message to recreational cyclists in Central Park. This isn't about safety.

Edited: I just found out it's $270 for a car + an $80 surcharge and points on their license.
    Last edited by ccnyc; 02-14-2011 at 01:57 PM.
    ccnyc

There needs to be a safe way to cross the street in Central Park, and right now, there isn't one.

There is literally no place to cross where you are safe from cyclists who don't slow for anything -- including wheelchairs, crutches and strollers. And cyclists aren't shy about yelling at other cyclists who slow or stop.

The level of hostility toward speeding cyclists in Central Park and Riverside Park is staggering, and the rejoicing over this recent crackdown is considerable.

I know it's popular in this group to say "cars are worse"; but honestly, in this case, they aren't. Most cars stop at red lights; in Central Park, bicycles never do.

I don't know what the answer is; I'm sympathetic to cyclists who want to train, but the park needs to be safe and pleasant for everyone, not just cyclists.
    Last edited by PamNY; 02-15-2011 at 08:02 AM.

I don't know what the answer is either. I gave up doing laps in CP a few years ago because it's just too dangerous with the oblivious pedestrians walking down the middle of the road even early in the morning (when I used to do laps) or off leash dogs running into the road. Now, I stick to the top of the park to do hill repeats. Only two traffic lights there! I go through the park to get out of the city and when I come back. I use my cycling time there to practice my slow speed cycling and bike handling around obstacles in the road (pedestrians and daydreamers).

It's only going to get worse as the weather warms up and more cyclists of all types use the park.

What really bugs me is the selective enforcement. I guarantee that the NYPD is not going to ticket the tourists on rental bikes with helmets dangling from the handlebars when they go through red lights, or pedestrians jay walking all over the park. Or runners going through the red lights. No one uses the crosswalks. Sigh.
    ccnyc

Leash law enforcement is nonexistent in Central and Riverside Parks.

I want to know why this law enforcement zeal isn't directed at delivery bikers, who effectively never obey any law.

Interestingly, There are efforts in some places to reduce the fine for cyclists running stop signs.

I advocate reduced fines for cyclists recognizing that the are far different potential implications for an offending car vs an offending bike.

However, I remain an advocate of cyclists obeying road signs.
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Our city council had a blitz on cyclists using a park last year. It has very wide paths and is located at the end of a bike route. $250 per time. There was a protest last week, reflecting both the size of the fine and the stupidity of the decision, when we could easily give the outer paths to cyclists and the inner ones to peds (if only they would read the signs ). That said, some cyclists don't ride sensibly around peds, but it's usually wildly exaggerated ime and far less lethal than motorised vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by oz rider View Post
    That said, some cyclists don't ride sensibly around peds, but it's usually wildly exaggerated ime and far less lethal than motorised vehicles.
    I saw a very bad incident yesterday where a cyclist going much too fast simply mowed down an elderly man who was crossing the bike path completely legally. The man was in a crosswalk where cyclists are required by law to stop for pedestrians. The cyclist called out the classic New York "heads up!" and the pedestrian was toast.

I don't know how badly the man was injured -- he was conscious, at least, but he had facial injuries and I wouldn't be surprised if his nose was broken.

It's a very bad, crowded spot (Chelsea Piers for those who know the area) and why cyclists don't slow down there is beyond me. I'd love to see the Central Park ticket blitz moved to that area, because most cyclists don't slow for pedestrians, let alone stop.

I hope we all remember that we need to be careful of pedestrians, and that we will all be old and infirm one day.

I was so tempted to take a photo of this bloodied elderly man lying on the ground with the young, healthy cyclist crouched near him. I didn't want to violate the victim's privacy, but it was a stunning visual example of why so many New Yorkers hate cyclists.

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    I saw a very bad incident yesterday where a cyclist going much too fast simply mowed down an elderly man who was crossing the bike path completely legally. The man was in a crosswalk where cyclists are required by law to stop for pedestrians. The cyclist called out the classic New York "heads up!" and the pedestrian was toast.

I don't know how badly the man was injured -- he was conscious, at least, but he had facial injuries and I wouldn't be surprised if his nose was broken.

It's a very bad, crowded spot (Chelsea Piers for those who know the area) and why cyclists don't slow down there is beyond me. I'd love to see the Central Park ticket blitz moved to that area, because most cyclists don't slow for pedestrians, let alone stop.

I hope we all remember that we need to be careful of pedestrians, and that we will all be old and infirm one day.

I was so tempted to take a photo of this bloodied elderly man lying on the ground with the young, healthy cyclist crouched near him. I didn't want to violate the victim's privacy, but it was a stunning visual example of why so many New Yorkers hate cyclists.
    Well said.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

The Chelsea Piers section of the Westside greenway is very dangerous. I stay off the whole Westside greenway because it's just too stressful (with pedestrians walking on the bike path) and not an enjoyable ride for me. Too bad since it is so nice once you reach upper Manhattan. Hope the injured person is okay. I hate those cyclists, too. Makes me so mad when I see this stuff happening.

The NY DOT is going to begin an ad/awareness campaign aimed directly at cyclists. NOT at pedestrians, skateboarders, bladers, or motorists. The message will be "Don't be a jerk." Pretty much in those words. The senior policy director of the DOT, Jon Orcutt, spoke at my cycle club's January meeting and told us this. A couple days later the ticketing blitz began.

FYI: http://www.nycticketblitz.com/
    ccnyc

wow. Central Park has changed a lot in 40 years!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    wow. Central Park has changed a lot in 40 years!
    Not really. You can still smoke a joint or have sex in the park. You just can't blow through a red light on your bike.

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post

I'm personally very careful around peds, whether they are old, infirm, oblivious or anything else. It sounds like the education and enforcement is under way.

It's sad there is so much hate. We didn't even have that towards the truck that crushed a woman cyclist here this week.