Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

To disable ads, please log-in.

She's updated with her story:

http://www.nycc.org/message-board/fu...t-sunday/50804

If this is true, it's even scarier than what the witnesses assumed.

Edited to add story from Gothamist.
    Last edited by PamNY; 04-06-2011 at 11:48 AM.

According to the Brooklyn Paper, 695 citations were issued to cyclists in Brooklyn during February this year (compared with 375 last year).

The comments after this article are slightly more intelligent than is usual, and a bit funny. A Brooklyn conversation, for sure.
    Last edited by PamNY; 04-08-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Most astonishing ticket so far

According to the NY Post, a cyclist was ticketed for riding with a tote bag on her handlebars.

I hope we eventually get a breakdown of infractions for which cyclists are being cited. It's predictable that a certain amount of silly tickets are being written, and that those are getting publicity. Right now, I have only anecdotal information so there's no way to know how many cyclists who should be ticketed -- like wrong-way riders -- are being cited.
    Last edited by PamNY; 04-16-2011 at 08:39 AM.

Robin Williams was stopped for cycling on the sidewalk, but got off with a warning.

Back to the original topic, I was surprised to see quite a few cyclists going through red lights in Central Park yesterday afternoon. I waited through several light changes at 81 St. (west side) and no one stopped.

It was a mixed group of "types" of cyclists -- a few were on marked rental bikes, but most of them weren't.

NYPD Ticketing on Riverside for Not Hand Signaling

Riverside Drive is the main cycling route to/from the GWB/Manhattan.
    From a member of my cycle club:
    "I was approaching 165 on Riverside about to turn right to climb the hill when I noticed a police car on the triangle there where the parallel road comes into a v at the light. I slowed way down, looked all around, no cars, green light...so I proceeded thru the light, turning right and began climbing the hill all the way on the right hand side... Half way I up was pulled over. What on earth could be the proble ??? Failure to signal a right hand turn! $130. Honestly! I kid u not! I will be fighting this on principal!"
    http://www.nycc.org/message-board/ti...d-signal/51052
    ccnyc
    2006 Serotta Concours/Terry Butterfly Ti

Cops park in bike lane while eating Papa John's pizza.

http://bit.ly/jg697L

More important: Papa John's pizza in NYC? Now *that* should be illegal.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    More important: Papa John's pizza in NYC? Now *that* should be illegal.
    Seriously. I had a friend who almost moved out when his roommate ordered from Domino's.

In other news, a scooter cop was parked at Chambers St. and the greenway yesterday. Based on his location, I would guess he was watching cyclists, not cars.

It was especially comical given how cars behave at the West Side Highway crossings. Maybe not as much of a travesty as the Central Park transverses, but close.
    Last edited by PamNY; 05-11-2011 at 08:09 AM.

NYPD eases up on cyclists in Central Park. I hope they continue to ticket cyclists who buzz pedestrians.

http://www.dnainfo.com/20110518/uppe...ver-say-police