Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by oz rider View Post
    It's sad there is so much hate. We didn't even have that towards the truck that crushed a woman cyclist here this week.
    It's not sad if you think of it as part of the transition from cycling being a renegade, slightly outlaw culture to a part of normal, everyday life.

Cyclists have to grow up. It's time to stop whining about being singled out, and time to stop pointing out something a driver did every time the subject of safe cycling comes up.

When New York's stringent anti-smoking laws came into effect, a lot of smokers pointed out that it's ridiculous to forbid smoking when we are all being choked by fumes from cars, and anti-idling laws are never enforced . I wonder how many cyclists would agree with that logic?

As far as Central Park, which was the original subject of this thread, everyone who uses the park feels picked on by any form of law enforcement. There is outrage over tripods being forbidden on the lawns, over euthanasia of rabid raccoons, over the hawks' favorite tree being cut down due to disease. It's always something.

One of our bird photographers zealously documents illegal drug use in Central Park. It's quite funny. I wonder what Holden Caulfield would make of the whole thing.

http://palemale.com/ildruseincep1.html
    Last edited by PamNY; 02-19-2011 at 08:07 AM.

I can see when there are cars allowed in the park, we should stop. But when there are no cars..? I was there on Thursday night and I saw one cop i think near the 7th ave exit around 8pm. I never realized how many lights there are in central park until I hit every.single.red.light.

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    It's not sad if you think of it as part of the transition from cycling being a renegade, slightly outlaw culture to a part of normal, everyday life.

Cyclists have to grow up. It's time to stop whining about being singled out, and time to stop pointing out something a driver did every time the subject of safe cycling comes up.

When New York's stringent anti-smoking laws came into effect, a lot of smokers pointed out that it's ridiculous to forbid smoking when we are all being choked by fumes from cars, and anti-idling laws are never enforced . I wonder how many cyclists would agree with that logic?

As far as Central Park, which was the original subject of this thread, everyone who uses the park feels picked on by any form of law enforcement. There is outrage over tripods being forbidden on the lawns, over euthanasia of rabid raccoons, over the hawks' favorite tree being cut down due to disease. It's always something.

One of our bird photographers zealously documents illegal drug use in Central Park. It's quite funny. I wonder what Holden Caulfield would make of the whole thing.

http://palemale.com/ildruseincep1.html
    Again, well spoken, Pam. Thanks.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

The 46 lights of Central Park

ccnyc
    2006 Serotta Concours/Terry Butterfly Ti

That video tells the story well, in 2 minutes, I got it. I would find that pretty frustrating.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

That is a great blog! I almost crashed too, at the end of a decent, having to stop.

I hope Riverside stays peaceful

If any of you are in groups or have influence on other cyclists, please ask them to help preserve the relative peace of Riverside Park.

I am very worried that the exodus of fast cyclists from Central Park will mean an increase in problems in Riverside as cyclists go toward NJ. There's already a requirement that cyclists dismount in one area of Riverside, and this is entirely the result of cyclists going much too fast for conditions.

Several of my park friends also fear the Central Park nightmare is coming our way, and I doubt we are alone. The pedestrians who are blithely labeled "clueless" and "oblivious" by cyclists are, in many cases, people who live in the neighborhood. They consider the speeding cyclists an unpleasant intrusion into a beautiful area they have treasured for decades. Their complaints about fast cyclists are virtually identical to the complaints cyclists have about automobile drivers.

Please, please, please remember that Riverside is popular with little kids and older people who want to bike slowly and safely. They have every right to a pleasant and peaceful environment.

If you can prevent even one person from flying through Riverside shrieking "heads up!!" I will be grateful.
    Last edited by PamNY; 02-23-2011 at 07:43 PM.

http://www.change.org/petitions/nyc-...clist-petition

CENTRAL PARK CYCLING PETITION

Dear New York City Officials:

We respectfully demand that the City of New York enact a reasonable exception to the traffic rules of Central Park, similar to the “off leash hours” exception afforded to dog walkers, to allow cyclists to legally ride through Central Park’s traffic signals at times when they can do so with complete safety.

Specifically, we demand that a policy be implemented whereby Central Park traffic signals shall flash yellow at all times and places where its roads are closed to motor vehicle traffic, unless a crosswalk button is pushed by a pedestrian. If a crosswalk button is pushed, the signal will turn solid yellow, then red, and then return to flashing yellow. A standard interval would be in place to ensure that the signal flashes yellow for a minium amount of time in between button presses. When traffic signals are flashing yellow, cyclists are permitted to ride through with caution.

We are grateful for the efforts the City has undertaken to make New York City more friendly to cycling, but we believe that the current enforcement initiative in Central Park is unnecessary. Innumerable cyclists have used the Park without strict enforcement of traffic signals for decades with general safety.

We, the undersigned, believe that this is a fair and reasonable compromise that will balance the interests of all the Park’s users, reward safe cycling, and increase overall safety by making traffic signals more useful. We invite further dialogue on this matter; please contact NYCCyclistPetition@gmail.com at any time to schedule a meeting.
    ccnyc

Just signed it!

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    If any of you are in groups or have influence on other cyclists, please ask them to help preserve the relative peace of Riverside Park.

There's already a requirement that cyclists dismount in one area of Riverside, and this is entirely the result of cyclists going much too fast for conditions.
    Some good news:
    "While Central Park cyclists are being forced to slow down, cyclists in Riverside Park received good news in the form of a compromise from the Parks Department regarding contentious dismount signs along the path connecting West 72nd Street and Riverside Drive with the Waterfront Greenway along the Hudson River. After months of debate and issues with people removing the signs or ignoring them, Riverside Park Administrator John Herrold announced to the Parks Committee that new signs will soon require cyclists to proceed at walking speed and yield to pedestrians, but not require them to dismount."
    http://westsidespirit.com/2011/03/02...-central-park/
    ccnyc

Wonderful! At least there's a spirit of compromise.

I hope cyclists cooperate, and I wish the city would enforce the law that prohibits dog leashes longer than six feet. ETA: The controversy in that area had a lot to do with a small dog park located nearby.

I have a sentimental attachment to that spot because it was my "practice hill" when I first bought a bike.
    Last edited by PamNY; 03-05-2011 at 07:55 PM.

NYC Cyclists - Central Park Precinct Community Council Meeting on March 14

http://www.nycc.org/message-board/ac...ral-park/50270
    Your presence is requested at the Central Park Precinct Community Council Meeting on March 14.

Massive attendance by NYCC members, by all cyclists who care about Central Park will make an impression here.

Date: March 14, 7pm.

Place: Unitarian Church, 160 Central Park West at 76th Street
    ccnyc

I saw a motorcycle cop pull a cyclist over on the Hudson River Greenway just north of Chambers St. this afternoon.

I don't know what happened, but the cyclist later caught up with me and she stopped at every single red light on the bike path, which no one ever does. I'm guessing it was a ticket or warning regarding traffic lights.

Of course, the unlighted delivery bikers going the wrong way on dark streets tonight were, as far as I could see, unmolested by law enforcement.
    Last edited by PamNY; 03-08-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Keep on stopping at the red lights in Central Park, for now.

http://www.streetsblog.org/2011/03/1...k/#more-253023

I was at this meeting. The NYPD Central Park Precinct officers will continue to actively target "spandex" cyclists in Central Park while looking the other way re speeding motorists, tourists on bicycles going through red lights, and jaywalkers.

Some local politicians (Scott Stringer and Gail Brewer) showed up vowing to support ending the red light ticket blitz and working to change the red lights to flashing yellow when cars are not allowed in the park.

DOT is the key to changing the lights. They were invited to the meeting but no one showed up.
    ccnyc

Quote Originally Posted by ccnyc View Post
    http://www.streetsblog.org/2011/03/1...k/#more-253023

I was at this meeting. The NYPD Central Park Precinct officers will continue to actively target "spandex" cyclists in Central Park while looking the other way re speeding motorists, tourists on bicycles going through red lights, and jaywalkers.
    Well then..... that sounds rather unfair.......
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N