Hi,

I am new to this forum but I am hoping the knowledgeable folks here can help me with some questions. I am looking to buy a hybrid type bike that I can do some road distance on (30-60 mile trips). I am not fond of a drop handle bar road bike so I hope to find something with a flat bar. Currently I am riding my son's old mountain bike and I would like to get something a little better for the road.

I have been looking around a bit and have seem to settled on either a Trek 7.3fx or a Cannondale Quick 4. The Trek seems to have slightly better overall components but the Cannondale has a carbon fork.

How important would the carbon fork be for riding on roads and sidewalks to dampen vibrations? The research I have been doing has me slightly scared of the failures with carbon forks.

Does anyone have any thoughts about either of these two bikes, or the carbon fork vs better overall components? Or some other bike suggestion around the same price point ( $500-600)? Would these type bikes work for an upcoming 150 mile charity ride I hope to do?

Thank you.