Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ride the Rockies 2011

To disable ads, please log-in.

Was wondering if anyone had any hints on the route before the big announcement at midnight tonight. Trying to jumpstart booking hotels.

Thanks!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Haven't heard a peep, but probably going to put in for the lottery....
    Sit bones = ~135 mm, saddles that work ~ 155cm/6.1 in wide
    2003 da Vinci (custom road/all-rounder)/Terry Butterfly Ti
    1994 Gary Fisher Nirvana (vintage MTB/commuter)/Terry Butterfly Chromoly
    1991 Terry Symmetry (NOS frame/fork, project in progress)
    1973 Raleigh Super Course (project in progress)

We'll know in a few hours - the suspense is killing me (especially since I'm on the east coast - route announcement's at 2am...)

What do you think of the route?? I'm a bit disappointed, as I've ridden a big chunk of the middle section a couple times, but at the same time it's such a big interesting swath of the state...are you putting in with a group, solo??

I'm a bit disappointed too - not nearly as challenging as last year, but some pretty roads. I've never done Berthoud Pass or the road from Edwards up to Steamboat - or that loop, so it's gonna be lots of new views for me, so that's always good.
    Applying with my boyfriend, but we've gotten in for the past 5 years, so we think our luck might run out this year.

P.S. -- are you the same out_spokin' who came to ride 6-Gap in Georgia many years ago and was the angel who pulled me in for the last few miles when I was so tired I could barely move? If so, you deserve a halo for that!!!!

Yeah, all the section N of I-70 would be new to me too. And I've only been to Crested Butte once for a few hours and loved it, and that climb to the top of Cottonwood Pass will be epic, especially since not all paved. Cottonwood is just classic - I bring most of my out-of-state visitors there, and imagine climbing the East side every time...will be different to come flying down there, for sure!

Sounds like the lottery has a weighting system so that if one didn't get in for 2010 it's more possible, but doesn't go back further. But if that doesn't work there's always the Bicycle Tour of CO or the CO Rocky Mountain Bicycle Tour, so there are options! ;-)

No, not me in GA, though I'd like to do that ride! I borrowed the name from the club (www.outspokin.org) of which I've been a member here and there but haven't ridden with in recent years since I live 60 miles S of their usual rides and love the riding here so much. Guessing some of them will be on RtR!

Ahh. The woman who helped me on 6-Gap was in that club, so that's why I thought you were that angel. (First time doing a climbing century, no idea what I was getting into, and she gave me a draft/pull just when I thought I might have to quit, 2 miles from the finish...)

We did Cottonwood Pass a few years ago from the dirt side - it's quit interesting, that's for sure! My carbon/Record baby didn't know what was happening. But, it was surprisingly okay, as long as you could pick your line in the dirt. I can't wait to see the pros do it in August -- although not sure where we want to view the Quiznos tour that day - Cottonwood or Independence are both gonna be epic.

We did CRMBT two years ago - their second year. They were still experiencing growing pains, but think they've ironed out all the kinks by now.

Wish us both luck in the lottery!

Took me a bit, but I am officially signed up for the lottery! I'll be happy either way...though perhaps a bit more confused about "which other ride" if I don't get in!

I got in!!!! Anyone else???

Quote Originally Posted by out_spokin' View Post
    i got in!!!! Anyone else???
    in!!!!

Yay! It'll be great to meet you!

Woohoo!!!

Just saw pictures from Day 1, Cottonwood Pass. The amount of snow at 12,000 ft is unbelievable. Only 40% of winter snow has melted here in the Colorado mts. Pictures prove it.

Enjoy your tour.

Cottonwood Pass was a blast! Snow, dirt, tailwinds! Day 2 had 35 miles of headwind, then a beautiful ride over Tennessee Pass and Battle Mountain. Pretty stuff!

OMG! What is this? Is this the most awesome thing I've ever seen? Hell YEAH!!! DH and I are crossing all our fingers and toes in hopes that we can do this next year. And heck, if anyone doesn't get in and wants to come house/dog sit for us here in Hawaii, you got a deal!

I have some Q's for you gals that have done this ride in the past:
    1. Register as a group for a husband and wife team?
    2. We've been to CO once and nearly froze. It was in June. It got down to 34 degrees. I assume that tenting it would be suicide for folks from Hawaii?
    3. If the answer to #2 is yes, is it nearly impossible to get a B&B or Hotel for this?
    4. If the answer to #3 is no, do you feel left out or anti-social if you don't stay in the gym/tent camp?
    5. Have you ever seen anyone do this ride on a Bike Friday?
    6. What is the most common bike used on this ride? (Road, Touring, Mtn with slicks?)
    7. If they would change/add something to the ride, what would you want it to be?
    8. Have you ever had to use the SAG wagon? If so, why?
    9. Have you ever tented or stayed in the gym? If yes, was there so much snoring you couldn't sleep? ;-)
    10. How has the weather been, on average, during the ride? Cold, hot, rainy, windy?

Thanks! I am sooooo excited to see this. It's the week after my first half Ironman so I'm not exactly sure how I'll hold up - will probably train for 60 miles for the half iron. VERY concerned about the altitude so we will need to head out a little earlier to get 2 days under our belts.

Denise