Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain jacket?

Rain jacket?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Do any of you have suggestions for the best SMALL/PACKABLE waterproof (not water resistant) BREATHABLE rain jacket for cycling? I have a clear plastic ventilated thing that's waterproof and breathable on the side seams but I want something more like a jacket and definitely less stiff and more packable.

Thanks for your ideas!
    2010 Specialized Sirrus Comp (XS)
    2010 daVinci Global Venture

Rapha makes awesome cycling gear. They are not cheap but worth the money...great quality and function.

I got a nice Waterproof rain jacket made by Craft here on TE a couple years back.

I thought Rapha only makes clothes for men. I also think their stuff is overpriced.

Thumbs up

I don't know how often you ride in the rain or what you're limits are as to how cold you're willing to ride in when it's raining, but I've found that as long as I keep my core and hands (feet, too) warm, that I'm happy. I have a PI vest and will layer accordingly. PI thermafleece arm warmers and a short sleeve jersey with this setup takes me down to about 50-55 degrees with rain. A wool base layer and winter long sleeve jersey took me down to <20 degrees. Of course if I had $200 to blow on a good jacket I might think differently but I've honestly been happy with this setup as I'd rather be a little on the cold side than dying due to a jacket not being breathable enough (and then taking said jacket off and being worse off due to being soaked in sweat). JMHO.
    "Limits are a state of mind: break them before they break you."
    --Michael Cotty

riding conditions...

The purpose of this jacket would be to pack small and have with us for whenever there was unexpected rain during spring, summer and fall riding. I mean a downpour, or a steady rain encountered while touring and you still need to get from point A to point B regardless of the fact that its a steady/hard rain. So, with that said if it's not packable it's a pain to always have with you. If it's not waterproof then you'd be soaked in no time, and if it's not really breathable then you'd melt because this can happen in warm temps. If we were not touring and were at home we wouldn't even start the ride in these conditions but in the summer you can always get caught. Also the Craft jacket that was suggested is not waterproof (water rating is minimal) so that wouldn't work for our purposes.
    Last edited by deskrider; 02-04-2011 at 08:12 AM.
    2010 Specialized Sirrus Comp (XS)
    2010 daVinci Global Venture

I haven't actually tried it in rain yet, but I purchased a Mavic jacket (demo model) from a dealer at our semi-annual bike swap meet in Tucson - I think it's the Cascade or Cascadia style. It wouldn't quite fit into a jersey pocket, but it's supposed be waterproof, windproof but breathable. I can say it's windproof for sure. Not cheap- even at 50% off it was $100 but it's light and comfortable, has arm and underarm vents. I Maybe you could find one discounted on line if it sounds like what you want.

I try to avoid rain (easier to do here in the desert) but it has been good on cold and/or windy rides so far. Hope that is helpful
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

The Craft jacket I have is discontinued, but I did get it in screaming yellow for ~100 bucks on sale here at TE. I did see a more recent model of it here for a really good price (and have dealt with these folks before, even though they are in UK shipping is quick and cheap/free):

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=X0214

The Craft jacket Murienn posted a link to is not waterproof. Mine is a waterproof breathable fiber, but it doesn't pack down really small. I think to get it to be both waterproof and packable you need a fabric like goretex paclite which some of the Showers Pass jackets that TE carries are made from, but these are not cheap either.

I have a PI jacket that is packable and water resistant that I also got here on TE, but found I get really soaked if I wear it in the rain, so its better just to break the wind. I ALWAYS choose screaming yellow!
    Last edited by Triskeliongirl; 02-04-2011 at 11:00 AM.

I will say this... I have been in one too many rainstorms.... and this jacket is the best. It is alot of $$$... but honestly, it keeps you dry and warm.

http://www.worldcycling.com/prodinfo...3D2&variation=
    if you don't like sewing, you haven't found the right fabric

I have a Shower Pass jacket that I picked up a couple of years ago on the clearance rack at my LBS. I can't remember the model name to save my life, but I love it. Protective enough that I sometimes use it as my everyday rain jacket if it's not too cold out. (I live in Seattle, to give you a frame of reference for weather.)

I know TE carries at least one of the models. They aren't inexpensive, but they're worth the price, in my opinion.

One of my racer friends swears by the Pro Tech jacket by Showers Pass. I don't have any experience with it, and I think it might only come in a men's cut, but here's a link: http://www.showerspass.com/catalog/m...ts/pro-tech-st
    2009 BMC Road Racer SL 01 / Specialized Ruby 155
    2007 LeMond Reno / Luna Chix Team Saddle
    1980-something Lotus Odyssey / Brooks Finesse
    1992 Bridgestone RB-2 / Brooks B-17 Imperial
    Nada Bike singlespeed / Brooks Team Pro in white

I have a rain jacket I bought for hiking made of Gore-tex Paclite that is lightweight, very packable, and waterproof. It was pretty pricey though has been totally worth it to me, and I'll have it for a long time. It's made by Outdoor Research. I would definitely recommend Gore-tex Paclite, though I bought this jacket about 4 years ago now, so there may be something even higher-tech/better now in rain gear. At the time, it was top of the line.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I have a bright orange showers pass rain jacket that is ventilated in the back, packs into its own pocket and fits in my jersey pocket. I suggest it highly.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Quote Originally Posted by deskrider View Post
    Do any of you have suggestions for the best SMALL/PACKABLE waterproof (not water resistant) BREATHABLE rain jacket for cycling?
    Waterproof, small and breathable? That's a tough one, and a bit temperature dependent. I really think it's 'pick two'. And even then, breathable is relative. I have a 2009 model of this which is waterproof and pretty breathable but not small. But I took a very light, thin PI shell touring - it fits in a pocket and is pretty breathable, and good wind protection, although I would prefer it had a long tail. I also have a compact commuter type shell that breathes like your average garbage bag.

I use the RaceFace one if heading out and it's likely to rain (or maybe super cold and dark), but touring I figured that whatever the jacket, if it rains all day I'd be wet anyway so I may as well save weight and use the more versatile shell with wool base/warmers, that will stay warm even if wet. And the wool doubles as daywear at a pinch. Good luck; will be interested to see what you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by deskrider View Post
    The purpose of this jacket would be to pack small and have with us for whenever there was unexpected rain during spring, summer and fall riding. I mean a downpour, or a steady rain encountered while touring and you still need to get from point A to point B regardless of the fact that its a steady/hard rain. So, with that said if it's not packable it's a pain to always have with you. If it's not waterproof then you'd be soaked in no time, and if it's not really breathable then you'd melt because this can happen in warm temps. If we were not touring and were at home we wouldn't even start the ride in these conditions but in the summer you can always get caught. Also the Craft jacket that was suggested is not waterproof (water rating is minimal) so that wouldn't work for our purposes.
    As I suggested earlier... the Rapha rain jacket is exactly what you're looking for. It is made for extreme wet weather riding but packs down to fit in your jersey pocket. It also does not come in obnoxious colors. The down side is that it is on the expensive side, but it is worth every penny. Some may think it's overpriced, but what does that really mean. Many things is life can be viewed as overpriced...but it comes down to the person buying it. If you can afford it, you will not be disappointed.

I personally don't know about this particular jacket from REI, but it's got some great reviews and not too expensive. It seems to fit the needs you described.

I don't know your size, but they have them in Plus Size too.

http://www.rei.com/product/794275
    Andrea

1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker

I use a Showers Pass Elite 2 rain jacket. Not that packable, but it is my commuting jacket and I wear work clothes under. Way back, I use to pack those souvenier tyveks on touring/training rides. Often we would put them on backwards to cut wind chill. They roasted you, though.

I also found rain showers were not so bad, mostly it is being able to keep the extremities and core warm -- and hope you don't have to stop for too long.

Good luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)