Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Advice needed on getting my bike painted

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am in dire need of getting by bike painted. I have a Trek 2.1 WSD and it is a pearly white with a hideous (to me, sorry for anyone who has this bike and loves the color scheme!) yellow and black decal. I am in desperate need of getting this bike painted. DH and I looked into it, but the painter said the down time for the bike would be 2 months. Two months!!!! I can't be off my bike for two months!!! (I live in San Diego and ride all year).

Does anyone know if 2 months is typical or can I look around and find someone who can do it faster? And if I do find someone faster, would it be a worse job?

It is funny, I am not a girly girl at all, but my bike just has to be prettier than it is now!! LOL.
    Trek Madone - 5.5 -Brooks B-17

Trek 2.1 WSD - Brooks - B-17 - Trainer bike;

Gary Fisher - Tassajara (MTB) - Specialized Ariel

Quote Originally Posted by ivorygorgon View Post
    I am in dire need of getting by bike painted. I have a Trek 2.1 WSD and it is a pearly white with a hideous (to me, sorry for anyone who has this bike and loves the color scheme!) yellow and black decal. I am in desperate need of getting this bike painted. DH and I looked into it, but the painter said the down time for the bike would be 2 months. Two months!!!! I can't be off my bike for two months!!! (I live in San Diego and ride all year).

Does anyone know if 2 months is typical or can I look around and find someone who can do it faster? And if I do find someone faster, would it be a worse job?

It is funny, I am not a girly girl at all, but my bike just has to be prettier than it is now!! LOL.
    Is there someone in your area who are experienced at powder coating motorcycles? It might be quicker if you had your LBS remove the parts and have the frame powder coated. If they are experienced at motorcycles then there shouldn't be any problem with a bike. I do not know if this is something you would consider but it might be a viable option.

My husband had an old frame painted recently at an auto body shop that does custom work. He first had to get the frame sandblasted, using the recommendation from the body shop as to who could do that work. That took a couple of days. From there, the body shop did the paint job, and that took another few days. He prepped the bike himself, e.g., stripped the bike down and masked off all the threaded parts of the bike and the inside of the head tube. Of course, this in Indiana so your wait times in San Diego may vary. He also new got decals for the bike (and old Raleigh) off of eBay.

He took this approach because he preferred the look of liquid paint over powdercoating, although the latter is arguably easier.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I should mention that the process I described would not apply to carbon bikes. I'm not sure what your bike is, aluminum or carbon. DH's is steel.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Is your bike carbon or aluminum? If it is carbon you can't powder coat because the frame has to be baked.

I would ask some of the bigger bike shops in your area. In San Diego there must be at least a few bike painters. If you are willing to strip the bike completely and ship the frame off, then there are lots of options. The prices I've seen typically range from $200 to $500.

The guy you are talking with must be busy or doesn't really want your business 'cuz two months seem pretty excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by ivorygorgon View Post
    Two months!!!! I can't be off my bike for two months!!! (I live in San Diego and ride all year).

Does anyone know if 2 months is typical or can I look around and find someone who can do it faster?
    We've had two bikes powder coated by the same guy; Chris Robinson of Robinson Wheelworks. Well, technically his paint elves do that. He strips the bike and then re-builds. I don't recall how long it took but less than 2 months. He re-painted my errand bike. I have more than one bike and see that you do too. Problem solved.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Joe Bell in Spring Valley? He's the best, wouldn't surprise me if his wait time is 2 months. But you'll LOVE the paint you get!

http://www.campyonly.com/joebell.html

Last edited by dianne_1234; 01-30-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Added image

'09 Trek 7.3 FX hybrid / Jett 155mm
    '09 Cervelo P3 TT / looking
    '11 Cervelo S3 road / Selle Royal Seta 155mm
    Ischial tuberosities: 140mm center to center

Diane: Yes, it was Joe Bell, but the wait list isn't two months - he wants to keep the bike for two months!! No can do!!

Is the decal on top of the paint? Can you take it off and just have a plain white bike? And then spruce up that bike with handlebar tape or grips or other accessories?

Or just get new decals.

Joe Bell is The Man when it comes to bike paint, and his prices and wait time reflect that. My guess is that there are cheaper paint options out there, with less down time. Frankly, if it were me, I'd just replace the decals if possible and save that money toward an upgraded frame. Don't get me wrong; there's nothing wrong with AL frames or wanting your bike to be pretty, but I've seen more people than I can count who eventually decide they want a carbon or steel bike for what often is a more comfortable ride. Just something to consider....

--Mary Anne Radmacher

The decals are under a top coat or clear coat. I actually wouldn't mind the white bike with different decals.

I don't see myself getting a new bike soon. I really like the bike and I think it rides just fine.

i think your bike is aluminum so i think any auto body shop could do it, if you have your LBS tear it down then you send the frame and fork to a painter. i've had 4 bikes painted--1 by a bicycle painter, one by a motorcycle painter, one by powdercoat and one by a boat painter (excellent with fiber). they were all in the $200's. the bike shop charged about $90 i think to tear down then rebuild. the motorcycle guy was able to replicate the decals in my chosen color. the boat guy did a beautiful fade from yellow to white. i had a bargain car paint chain do a fork once and they didnt even sand, just painted over the previous high gloss. this pink was done by the motorcycle guy. see the trek logo (and my name on the seat tube) in gray and white. took maybe 3 weeks(?).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pinkbikeultra.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	12569  
    laurie

Brand New Orbea Diva | Pink | Specialized Ruby
    2005 Trek Madone Road | Pink | Ruby
    1998 Trek 5200 Road | Blue | Specialized Jett
    ???? Litespeed Catalyst Road | Silver | Terry Firefly

Thank you Pinkbikes for the information. I think we will look into that. DH can do the tear down and rebuild. All we would need to do is find a painter. I didn't know those other places would consider a bicycle.