Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Knowing 5 generations in 1 family

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've never known anyone personally face to face, who still have 5 surviving generations in an extended family. The most has been 4 generations.

I think we have 3 surviving generations so far..I'm not sure about 4th generation. I do have alot of first cousins who in turn have MAY be a grandparent, that I may not be aware of because I'm not close to hardly any of my cousins.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Vancouve...040/story.html
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

We had 5 generations in our family. It included my grandmother (95), Uncle Kenny(70), Cousin Harv (45), Second cousin Mandy (20), her daughter (infant). There's a photo somewhere.

I have a four-generation maternal picture of my grandmother, mom, me and my daughter. I also have a four-generation picture from when my grandmother was a baby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5569_119549297569_696712569_2259413_798929_n.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	12557  

There is a 5 generation pic in my family with my eldest cousin as the baby. But since no one in my generation had any kids until our 30s, it is pretty unlikely to have another one any time soon.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I think there was a point in time where there may have been 5 surviving generations. I know my maternal grandmother with 8 children, she had her first child around 17-18 yrs. But the thing is that she only lived until her 60's.

Longevity past 80 in my family, hasn't occurred to my knowledge until my parents' generation...with better health care, etc.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I work with a CNA that had her first child when she was 14, her Mom had her when she was 15 and her Grandmother is in her early 60s and her Great Grandmother is in her 80s. So I guess the CNA's son is the 5th generation. I have seen that a lot working in the field that I work in.

It seems like Sum Ying Fung was born during an exciting year:

The first known use of the word automobile, was seen in The New York Times.
    "Asprin" patented by Felix Hoffmann
    Lawn mower patented
    Carnation processes its 1st can of evaporated milk
    1st jukebox (Palais Royal Hotel, SF)

Bet she is one feisty old girl.
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

I can't even fathom how much squawking and squabbling there would be with that many generations alive at once.

Hey, Pam. Only if all the generations are living under 1 roof.

besides I have over 60 blood relatives living in Metro Toronto. We're only contact with about 50% of them every few months...meaning it tends to be my parents, not us, their progeny.

In 2005, I took my baby grandson, my son, myself, and my father to see his mother in the nursing home. There's a picture of the 5 of us here somewhere. She died the next January, at age 100.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

We have a four-generation picture somewhere: My great-grandomther, my grandmother, my mom, and me as a baby. My great-grandmother died two or three years after that picture was taken.

I don't think that's likely to happen again. My grandmother's 90-something and not in the best of shape (Alzheimer's). There's also a tendency on my mom's side of the family to have children relatively late (30s). While there's longevity on that side of the family, not so much on my dad's side.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

While 3/4 of my grandparents lived until their 90s, 5 generations isn't going to happen unless a couple of generations have kids in their teens.
    We had plenty of 4 generation years, with my mom's parents. They died when my kids were 12 and 14. My kids saw them a lot and got a lot of history from them... some of it not exactly appropriate for kids. Did you know that Rose Kennedy liked to (insert Yiddish word here) the Jewish boys in the West End?
    Still, it was a wonderful experience for my kids.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckervill View Post
    In 2005, I took my baby grandson, my son, myself, and my father to see his mother in the nursing home. There's a picture of the 5 of us here somewhere. She died the next January, at age 100.
    Just to clarify, none of us were teen parents. My grandmother was 30 when my dad was born. He was 27 when I was born. I was 20 when my son was born. He was 23 when his son was born.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fivegens007.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	12561  
    Last edited by Tuckervill; 01-31-2011 at 12:21 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

We have a four-generation picture someplace also. My grandmother at her 90th birthday party, my mother, my sisters and I, and my niece ... all touching our toes.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler