Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone poor and riding Walmart bikes?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Will I be "Boo'ed" out of the forum for this post?

I have to say that I *KNOW* Walmart bikes probably suck in the grand scheme of bikes. I don't know anything, at all, about cool bikes! I just know what I can afford and I can only afford $200 bikes right now. To me, that's a good chunk of change. I wish I could be fitted for a bike and have my dream bike.

But for now, it's this Schwin City Series bike. I like it. It's so much better than my old clunky mountain bike. Actually, it wasn't a bad mountain bike...I had gotten used to it...until I tried the new one at Wally World. I don't do any off-roading riding really...I mostly stick to the road. So this new bike is more suited for that and rides so smooth and fast, compared.

Anyone else in my boat and riding a bike like this? Don't be afraid to "come out" and talk. I feel so alone on the forum with so many cool bike owners talking all this lingo...I don't have a clue what any of you are talking about! LOL

no you won't be boo'ed out. but if you start having problems, check craig's list, better (used) bikes can be had for the same price.

welcome to TE...
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Everybody is welcome here, regardless of what type or brand of bike they ride. So, you need not worry because you have a Wal-mart bike. My hat goes off to you for sticking to your budget; there's absolutely no shame in doing that, especially in the age of plastic.

Every year we welcome new riders to TE and, regardless of what they ride, there is a learning curve with the lingo. If you have questions, feel free to ask. There's a subforum specific to "New Riders," too.

So, welcome to TE!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

You're riding a bike and that's the important thing. If you find you have some spare money it's not a bad idea to take it into a bike shop and have them look over it. My sweetheart is a bike mechanic and the biggest issue with department store bikes (which he works on a lot) is they aren't lubed or built right. It's not totally necessary, but not a bad idea either.

What's most important is you have fun.
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Motobecane Nobly (60's or 70's)

I second looking for a used bike when you want to maximize the amount of value you get for your money.

I know there was someone else on here who was putting in some serious mileage on her huffy - I can remember her avatar picture, but not her name.

The important thing is that you're out and riding your bike, no matter what type of bike it is - a walmart bike that gets ridden is way better than an expensive bike shop bike that doesn't get ridden.

Boo you? For getting on a bike and riding? Around here?

No, no and no.

We don't do that.

End of discussion.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Welcome to TE!

Good for you for getting a bike in your budget and getting out and riding!!

Stick with it and come here often to learn from the wonderful people here!

Oh no, we won't boo you. You're riding a bike.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Oh, wow, awesome!! Thanks everyone...I feel so much better. I will check out Craigslist, hadn't thought of that!! I might find some great gear if I don't get a bike. Thanks for all the great comments. I feel like part of a family now.

When I first stared riding and posting here, I had a hand-me-down ca. 1990's GT steel mountain bike that was for someone 6' or taller (I'm 5'6 with very short legs), a pair of lightly padded danskin cottony/spandex compression (?) shorts - well, they were black and looked like the real thing - and a sort of wicking fabric t-shirt and work gloves cut off at the fingers for bicycle gloves.

I was (am) the Salvation Army Thrift Store model of cyclist.

What's important is that you are RIDING. The rest will come.
    I can do five more miles.

Welcome to TE All are welcome here. You may find out how to maintain and dare I say upgrade your bike, look for a used one in the future.

I have a :::gulp:: full custom bike but the one I ride most is old and bottom of GT's product line. Another I found dumped by the side of the road (it's gorgeous now).

All bikes are good!
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Oh, wait.. that wasn't aimed at you

+1 on the atta girl on the riding ANYTHING. Just ride.

+1 on the CraigsList ideer. I bought my used Trek on CL for about half what it would have cost me new and not much more then the $200 you mentioned having to spend on a bike.

I'd rather see someone spend what they could afford and have money left over for a good helmet (really important) to go with that bike. I can find really good quality and stylist helmets at my sporting goods retailer for about $50.

Shannon
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

Welcome and so glad you are out there riding - that is number one, afterall!

Waaaay back in 1990, after I had been riding a lowish to mid-range bike I splurged on a great bike, because I knew I really loved riding a lot. Ha, I spent $1500 on a top-end Bridgestone with Dura-Ace components.

Guess what? I am still riding that same bike, save new saddle and don't know how many tires and tubes. Today, it's "vintage", old-school down-tube shifters, traditional drop bars, 7 speed rear cassette.

But .... I love riding it, it is my commuter joy ride. Bought my son a new bike, to him, for $350.00. Back in its day (89/90) it was probably a 800-1000 something bike with its Shimano Ultegra 600 component group. He loves it, loves the old style shifting, totally loves that it is so much lighter than the bike it replaced.

As others have said, you don't always have to buy new.

Happy, happy riding to you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

Where are you in TN? I'm in east TN...I've had good success finding used bikes at a couple shops in and around Knoxville.....

Quote Originally Posted by janmanuel View Post
    Where are you in TN? I'm in east TN...I've had good success finding used bikes at a couple shops in and around Knoxville.....
    She mentioned in another thread that she's from Western TN; about an hour from Memphis.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher