Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Music - what was your first purchase?

What was the very first music that you bought with your own money? What is the most recent music that you have purchased?

I've had this discussion going on my FB page and it is a nice way to get to know other people.

My very first album that I bought with my own money (the only way I was allowed to get it) was Salisbury by Uriah Heep. I will leave it to my friends to say what that might indicate about my later taste in music, but I do own it still via iTunes. My most recent purchase on iTunes was Best of the Pretenders and Swamp Ophelia (Indigo Girls).

When I first bought music, it came in the form of 45's, so the tune was probably something that was playing in the Top 40's back in the day when Casey Kasem was actively doing the show. (maybe the Osmonds? ) I was in 6th grade. I can't remember the first album I actually bought, but back-in-the-day I had a whole stack of 45's, and a cool case to keep them in.

Album selection has been ecletic - Pop, Rock, C&W, folk, international folk, and classical. None of which I have in my possession as I no longer have a turntable to play them on.

Don't own an iTunes, have never downloaded music electronically.
    Beth

Oh fun! But you're going to think I never buy any new music ...

The first album I ever bought was James Taylor's Mud Slide Slim.

The most recent thing I bought was actually filling in my collection with a digital version of an album I've had on vinyl since about 5-6 years after I bought the James Taylor - Martha Argerich performing Liszt's Piano Concerto No. 1 and Chopin's Piano Concerto No. 1 with the London SO under Claudio Abbado.

Before that, the last thing I bought was Jesse Winchester's Third Down and 110 to Go, because the song that's in my sig line got into my head.

Before that, some Christmas music ...

looking back - eek - it's possible I haven't bought any new music since this summer when we saw Chuck Prophet solo and bought a couple of his albums, ¡Let Freedom Ring! and Soap and Water.

ETA: well, that was a perfectly useless job of showing (1) how eclectic my musical tastes are, and (2) how much more I tend to prefer music written by women. I can't do it in fewer than 15 albums...
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 01-25-2011 at 03:32 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

she loves you - the Beatles. hahhahahaha
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

The first 45 that I bought with my own money was Blondie's Heart of Glass. I still love that song. The last music I bought for myself is the latest by a Canadian band called Broken Social Scene.
    Last edited by indysteel; 01-25-2011 at 04:59 PM.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    The first 45 that I bought with my own money was Blondie's Heart of Glass. I still love that song. The last music I bought for myself is the latest by a Canadian band called Broken Social Scene.
    I love Broken Social Scene.. And Blondie!

The first cassette tape I bought, on my own, was Def Leppard, Hysteria.

Most recent purchases were Bo Diddley's Greatest Hits and Emily Hope Price's debut album. She is an amazing cellist and her single "Charlie" is one of the best songs I have ever heard.

First record I bought was the Footloose soundtrack.

Most recent was The National's "High Violet."

First -- no idea, but certainly some 45...Donny Osmond, most likely!

Most Recent - Adam Lambert 'For Your Entertainment' album in MP3 format from Amazon. Love me some Adam!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Though I can't remember which album I know it was a Frank Sinatra album (I love Ol' Blue Eyes). I just made two purchases the other day Kid Rock "Born Free" and at the other end of the spectrum Josh Groban "Illuminations."
    Marcie

I don't know what the first music I ever bought with my own money was, but I remember the first tape I ever got. I asked for Purple Rain by Prince & the Revolution when I was in third grade. I got it for my birthday and my Mom had gotten star or heart shaped sunglasses for all of us girls to wear.

In retrospect, Darling Nikki was NOT an appropriate song for a kid that age, but my parents didn't know and I didn't like that song enough to listen to it.

Latest song bought on Amazon - you can't always get what you want.

I remember the first 45 I had. It was "Splish Splash, Takin' A Bath," by (I think) Bobby Darin. I was 4 years old. One night we had a thunderstorm, the power went off, as I was falling asleep listening to this record. When I woke up, it was playing, stuck in the groove, over and over. But, I don't think I paid for this.
    Like Biciclista, my first real record I bought was a Beatles 45: "I Wanna Hold Your Hand/I Saw Her Standing There, in 5th grade." My first album was "Meet the Beatles," which my brother still has, along with my Carole King, James Taylor, Led Zeppellin, etc.
    I never buy music now and rarely know who sings what. I listen in the car, but that's it. DH loaded songs from his I Pod onto mine, but I don't use it anymore for exercise. I don't even know how to actually get a song from I Tunes, onto my I Pod, despite the fact that it has been explained to me, like a million times. Buying a record or CD was much easier and fun, just like going to the library is fun for me, because I can peruse everything and hold it in my hand.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport