Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Radiation and Cycle shorts

To disable ads, please log-in.

I will be undergoing radiation in the pelvic area and was told I may be sore in the area that meets the saddle and that I should get a good pair of cycle shorts. Any suggestions?

Everyone here has their favorites, but I would personally try Pearl Izumi or Sugoi. Team Estrogen, the sponsor of this forum, carries a zillion styles and brands. Take a look at what they have to offer, and if you have questions, give them a call. Their customer service is top-notch!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

It's so personal. The only constant is FIT. It doesn't matter how "good" a chamois is, if it doesn't conform to your body, it's going to give you trouble. So try on lots of shorts. TE has a great return policy, if you don't have a local bike shop that stocks much women's apparel.

My personal favorite are the Louis Garneau Neo Power, with Castelli Provocante a close second. Both of them have a chamois with a smooth surface, not too thick, and they conform really well.

I do NOT like the one pair of Pearl Izumi shorts that I have, sorry I don't know the model name - the chamois is thick, stiff and diaper-like with a woven cover.

Besides a pair of shorts that fits you really well, I'd expect you almost certainly want to use a lubricant. You'll want to read the ingredients lists and be really careful of ingredients that (1) can irritate skin and/or (2) could trigger a recurrence of what you're being treated for. I use pure shea butter. Besides being really safe, for me, it's also the most effective lubricant I've ever used in decades of riding.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler