Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh... my...

Oh... my...

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK. I've been playing with the idea of buying a Road bike. On a lark, we stopped into the LBS that sells Specialized. I've been pretty much a fan of Trek, namely because of a bad experience with this same dealer, but I've given them a few chances and they've done me right on a few smaller purchases I've made there so I'm warming to them. Only reason I stopped is I saw a sign for a clothing sale.

Anywho.. I took a look at some of the roadies and I think I'm in love. I didn't even get to ride due to the icy/snowy outdoors, but sitting on the bike I got that feeling of some thing being part of you... or you being part of it... but it felt GOOD. I FULLY intend to go back when the weather clears and give her a test ride.

Does anyone here have experience with this bike? I did see they have the Sport and Elite models. I'm wondering what the differences where in the Sport/Elite/Comp versions of the Specialized Dolce.

I guess I'm gone over the deep end and REALLY considering a road bike.

Shannon
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

I have the Specialized Ruby and love it. I test rode the Dolce and loved it too. That is one hot looking bike. I am thinking the difference between the Dolce comp/elite/sport is components (tiagra, 105, etc).
    Last edited by rubywagon; 01-22-2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Wow, nice timing. I just test-rode a Ruby Elite - literally an hour and a half ago. And fell in love. It's all I can do not to call the bike shop with a credit card number...I figure waiting a day before these kinds of purchases is a good idea. (I also fell in love with the LBS, but that's another story.)

The difference between the Elite and the Dolce are the frame material. Elite-carbon; Dolce-aluminium. I think you can get them with different components too. (I tried one with SRAM Apex.) Not sure about the other two, but I'm about to dive into the Specialized site.

Yes, the difference between the Ruby and Dolce are frame materials, but the difference between the Dolce models, are the shifting components. The regular Dolce and Dolce elite have tiagra, and the Dolce Comp has the 105's.

Thumbs up

I have a 2009 Dolce Elite in a beautiful metallic garnet red and love it.

Specialized knows how to create bikes that are true eye candy...that are also a joy to ride.

I tried a number of makes and models during my search and kept going back to the Dolce. It consistently put a foolish grin on my face every time.
    Last edited by Kubla; 01-22-2011 at 04:55 PM.

1990 Univega Alpina/(stock) gel saddle
    2009 Specialized Dolce Elite/BG Lithia saddle
    2009 Jamis Coda Sport/Selle Royale Respiro saddle
    2010 Jamis Aurora/Jamis Touring Sport saddle

I'm looking at a Dolce as my next "fun" bike.

I will stop looking at that sexy red bicycle. I will stop, before I leave a puddle of drool on my laptop and call up the LBS.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    I will stop, before I leave a puddle of drool on my laptop and call up the LBS.
    That's OK. Just leave the 48 for me

No worries. I'm probably a 51 or maybe 54, going by standover and TT length.
    (That and I'm looking at the Dolce Comp, which comes in a not-nearly-as-sexy white. )
    Last edited by Owlie; 01-22-2011 at 07:51 PM.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Yea, I may be able to go up to the 51 myself, I'm 5'5"... I REALLY want this bike.. have to wait.. must wait..

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
    OK. I've been playing with the idea of buying a Road bike. On a lark, we stopped into the LBS that sells Specialized. I've been pretty much a fan of Trek, namely because of a bad experience with this same dealer, but I've given them a few chances and they've done me right on a few smaller purchases I've made there so I'm warming to them. Only reason I stopped is I saw a sign for a clothing sale.
    I'm trying to rebuild a relationship with a LBS too, though it took a knock when I said that I'd bought a mountain bike elsewhere.

Anywho.. I took a look at some of the roadies and I think I'm in love. I didn't even get to ride due to the icy/snowy outdoors, but sitting on the bike I got that feeling of some thing being part of you... or you being part of it... but it felt GOOD. I FULLY intend to go back when the weather clears and give her a test ride.
    That's exactly how I felt when I first sat on my Specialized Hotrock. They truly are bikes to make you grin.

Does anyone here have experience with this bike? I did see they have the Sport and Elite models. I'm wondering what the differences where in the Sport/Elite/Comp versions of the Specialized Dolce.

I guess I'm gone over the deep end and REALLY considering a road bike.

Shannon
    ha it is your destiny Our LBS gave me a Specialized catalogue which is pretty good for armchair browsing as it has most of the specs in. Otherwise the website is very good for identifying differences between models. Gorgeous bike, by the way!
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Almost a year ago, I took my Trek FX 7.5 to my LBS for a tune-up. I was looking at the other kinds of bikes they had and I spied the berry/white 2010 Dolce Sport (Sora/Tiagra). I was hooked immediately. I never dreamed that a roadbike could be so comfortable. Needless to say, that Dolce went home with me and I have been hooked ever since.

Just a thought about size. On a good day I am 5'5" and was fitted to a 54 cm Dolce. The two Treks I purchased later were 52 cm. So, you may end up with a larger size than normal for you with a Dolce. Of course, that depends on your proportions.

Good luck making it through a dreary winter with thoughts of a new bike in your head........

P2
    2018 Trek Silque SLR6 - Selle SMP Glider
    2018 Specialized Dolce EVO Comp - Selle SMP Glider
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD -Selle SMP Glider
    2013 Giant TCX W - Oura 143

This is a beautiful bike Roadtrip - congratulations!

Aww, have mercy! I test rode a Dolce Sport the same day I test rode a Surly. I was totally smitten and was this close to going home with the Dolce... except that I knew aluminium would give me problems, given my audax ambitions. I wanted steel and ended up buying the Surly (which I do love!). But that Dolce stuck in my head. The fit and handling were just superb - like you said, like it's a part of you. Magic.

Since then, I saw the Ruby at a bike show - same geometry as the Dolce but a carbon frame. "Smitten" does not cover it - it's LUST!! I've promised myself I am allowed to think about buying one... next year (2012). But the desire still lurks and sometimes rears its ugly head unexpectedly causing me to run amok online drooling all over photos of both Dolces and Rubys.

I've been behaving myself quite well in recent weeks, but now you've posted THIS.

Somehow somewhere you shall pay!!!!

P.S. I hope you get it!!!
    Rebecca

Riley - custom 2014 Enigma Etape
    Bridget - 2010 Surly Cross Check
    Lorelei - 1979 Puch Princess mixte
    Astrid - 2014 Viking Bromley singlespeed mixte
    Lucy - bespoke 2012 Brompton S1L

Visit my blog: velovoice.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    No worries. I'm probably a 51 or maybe 54, going by standover and TT length.
    (That and I'm looking at the Dolce Comp, which comes in a not-nearly-as-sexy white. )
    Not sure about this year's Dolce in person, but the '09 also came in white and was actually quite pretty; it had a metallic finish.

Quote Originally Posted by pinsonp2 View Post
    Just a thought about size. On a good day I am 5'5" and was fitted to a 54 cm Dolce. The two Treks I purchased later were 52 cm. So, you may end up with a larger size than normal for you with a Dolce. Of course, that depends on your proportions.P2
    +1 on potential sizing. I'm 5'6" with relatively short legs and the 54 cm Dolce is a great fit. One LBS tried to convince me the 48 cm I test-rode was a 'good size' for me, but I'm glad I followed my intuition that told me otherwise. Especially when the same sales person offered to have me (literally) climb on a Trek that was too big...and gave me attitude when I told him as much.

1990 Univega Alpina/(stock) gel saddle
    2009 Specialized Dolce Elite/BG Lithia saddle
    2009 Jamis Coda Sport/Selle Royale Respiro saddle
    2010 Jamis Aurora/Jamis Touring Sport saddle

Quote Originally Posted by pinsonp2 View Post
    Almost a year ago, I took my Trek FX 7.5 to my LBS for a tune-up. I was looking at the other kinds of bikes they had and I spied the berry/white 2010 Dolce Sport (Sora/Tiagra). I was hooked immediately. I never dreamed that a roadbike could be so comfortable. Needless to say, that Dolce went home with me and I have been hooked ever since.

Just a thought about size. On a good day I am 5'5" and was fitted to a 54 cm Dolce. The two Treks I purchased later were 52 cm. So, you may end up with a larger size than normal for you with a Dolce. Of course, that depends on your proportions.

Good luck making it through a dreary winter with thoughts of a new bike in your head........

P2
    I have to agree with this - these bikes run weird in sizing. I am 5'6 and was fitted to a 52 (I have short legs and a long torso) but the compact frame never fit me right, and I ended up trading this bike for a Trek that fits me much better.

Nice looking though and the saddle for the Dolce is really great (at least I think so - i kept the saddle and put it on my Trek!)
    I can do five more miles.