Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

23rd Great Ohio Bike Adventure

To disable ads, please log-in.

Has anyone ridden this? I do not how how I got on the mailing list, but it looks quite interesting. Don't know if I will be able to swing the registration fee, nor if I would be able to take off the week it is held, but it looks like it could be quite fun I think my LHT would love this ride - and 50 miles a day wouldn't be overly much...

I've never done it, but I know a lot of people who have, and most years at least some of the route is over roads I'm familiar with. It's supposed to be a super good time.

I'm not sure what the route will be this year. Sometimes they can make it pretty challenging - but 50 miles even of the tougher stuff is plenty manageable.

Let me know if you're going to ride it!

(COP also puts on XOBA, a similar but smaller tour later in the year.)
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

It claims in the information that it will be a flatter route than last year I did have the thought that there are hillier parts of Ohio than where this is held. I will certainly say something if it turns out I can swing it. I would like to say yes right now, but the Gunnar is really changing my budget until I bring her home It sounds like the perfect pace for my cushy tank otherwise known as Ms. Explorer!

Hummmmm... this is VERY interesting. Sounds like a neat ride. I don't have nearly the miles or experience (nor the time off) to undertake something like this quite yet, but I lived in Marion (parents still live there) for quite a few years and traveled around the area (Delaware/Kenton/Bellefontaine) when I lived back home.

Marion area is QUITE flat, but it does get a little hillier as you had south toward Delaware... I never bicycled around the area, but there is a nice little bike shop called Rocky's Cyclery.

If you go, make sure to post pics and a trip report!!

Shannon
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

I am pretty sure that I will be able to take off the time - we will have to see about the entry fee...but it is quite an attractive idea. I had thought about doing RAGBRAI this year - but I think that it is too early for that. This would be a good introduction to that type of event, then perhaps in 2012 I can make Iowa.

RAIN is also attractive this year, but I will have to see how my body feels as I build my mileage base back up. At least I am not starting at the same point I did last spring

That looks like fun! I don't know if I could do 50 miles a day just yet, though.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I did GOBA in 2010 and it was a great ride! It was in a very hilly section of Ohio (south-central) and some people complained! It was also very, very hot. But I went with a friend and we had a blast. It was very well organized, and we did not have to move camp every night (two nights in two towns). The town people were wonderful and many churches had food and lots of it for a good price. The things to do in towns were fun and everyone went out of their way to be really nice. The towns always plan fun things to do and 2010 was certainly no exception. If I was not going to ride Bicycle Tour of Colorado, I would definitely do GOBA again.

Have fun and let us hear about it.

I read where people complained about it being too hilly last year. I really would like to do this ride, but with getting a custom bike this year I probably won't be able to swing it - I suspect that it is very easy to spend more than you realize for food as the days pass... I do have that week scheduled off though, so I will be on the bike somewhere - either on this ride or on day trips in Indiana and Ohio

I have several friends doing this ride this year. I wish I had the nerve to take that much time off work, and A) tear my bike down, B) pack my bike, C) unpack my bike, D) build my bike, E) repeat.
    I need to decide ASAP, there is so much chatter about this ride, it must be huge, if not it should fill up soon.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

I finally got the flyer. It's not going to be nearly as hilly as last year. So no one should be intimidated. Especially since there are two "optional" ride days.

I'm not sure how fast it fills up.

... but speaking of filling up, isn't ANYONE here doing TOSRV this year, being the 50th anniversary and all?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I don't have the legs/gas/fitness (THIS year) for something like the TOSRV and it'll be here before you know it... it does look like a great ride and I LOVE the look of this years Jersey.

Shannon
    Last edited by Roadtrip; 01-25-2011 at 10:37 AM.
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

Cool jersey! I like how the middle of the ring is in the shape of Ohio!

I wish I was either 1) a teacher with summers off, or 2) retired. It would be great to do two or three of these week long bike trips every summer. This is another tour I will add to my "I would like to do this someday" list.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

It does look like a lot of fun, but it is quite early in the season and the weather has kept me off the bike so far this year...perhaps in 2012

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieBikes View Post
    I did GOBA in 2010 and it was a great ride! It was in a very hilly section of Ohio (south-central) and some people complained! It was also very, very hot. But I went with a friend and we had a blast. It was very well organized, and we did not have to move camp every night (two nights in two towns). The town people were wonderful and many churches had food and lots of it for a good price. The things to do in towns were fun and everyone went out of their way to be really nice. The towns always plan fun things to do and 2010 was certainly no exception. If I was not going to ride Bicycle Tour of Colorado, I would definitely do GOBA again.

Have fun and let us hear about it.
    Signed up to do GOBA this year. My hubby has done it 4-5 times in the last 10 years. This will be my second year of cycling and I just turned 57. Last summer I put about 900 miles on my Synapse, but 35 was about the most I could do in any one day. I am concerned about making it 50 miles several times in one week. Any advice on how to train for this week long trip?
    I am planning to pack very light, but only have the advice of a man on what to pack... so would be grateful for any advice on that too.
    Don't cross the river if you can swim the tide...

2011-Cannondale Synapse Alloy5 WSD with 105 and BB30!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
    I don't have the legs/gas/fitness (THIS year) for something like the TOSRV and it'll be here before you know it... it does look like a great ride and I LOVE the look of this years Jersey.

Shannon
    I know this is an old thread, but I have to mention this:
    I had some bonding time with my advisor the other day. He did TOSRV during the time he took off from college. I knew there was a reason I ended up in that lab!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...