Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wind burn

wind burn

To disable ads, please log-in.

It's been a few degrees above freezing here for a while, and I'm noticing that my face (chin up) is getting darker than the rest of my body. I can wear a neck gaiter but it rains 90% of the time so I can't wear something like that or I'd be drenched.

Anything to avoid/minimize the wind burn?

If it's dark, rather than red, it's suntan. Yes you can get that on cloudy days in northern climates.

Sun exposure is good for you unless you have a specific condition ... if there's a reason you really need to avoid the sun, use the same measures you would in summer.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I'm not sure if it's a true tan, as I don't think I'm out there long enough to warrant a tan. And it's fairly dark in the morning, and definitely dark in my evening commutes.

Maybe I'll just wear my ski goggles and neck gaiter

I h ave a serius neck gaiter (i think that's the brand, but i may have mispelled it) which is basically a softshell like material, almost neoprene.

It repels water.

Something like that might be better for the rainy climate

Quote Originally Posted by Cataboo View Post
    I h ave a serius neck gaiter (i think that's the brand, but i may have mispelled it) which is basically a softshell like material, almost neoprene.

It repels water.

Something like that might be better for the rainy climate

neoprene?! that's probably what I need! I suppose I can just wear one of those formed masks that make me look like an axe murderer, too!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    why not? I wear one that makes me look like a bank robber.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I've been wearing a bandanna to keep the sun off my fresh scars. I definitely can't go into a bank without pulling it below my chin!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    neoprene?! that's probably what I need! I suppose I can just wear one of those formed masks that make me look like an axe murderer, too!
    Try one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/725712

http://www.rei.com/product/725711

Yes, you might look like an axe murderer - but you won't be windburn.

Trade offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataboo View Post
    Try one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/725712

http://www.rei.com/product/725711

Yes, you might look like an axe murderer - but you won't be windburn.

Trade offs.
    Oh yes, I was picturing exactly one like that! thanks!

any experience with either of them? I could certainly use it when snowboarding, too. It absolutely hurts my face when sitting on the chair lift and the wind is pelting small bits of snow in -20C temps. Neck gaitors can do only so much.

I see the Canadian version of REI (MEC) carries the neoprene comfort one. I wonder if the fleece might be overkill for riding? definitely not for snowboarding, though.

Badger, I use the seirus ultra clava for skiing - it's basically like those, but has the hood that goes over your head.

Yes, I probably look stupid. No, I don't ski without it 'cause I'm a wimp and like a warm face. I can move down the mouth piece and put it under my chin when I want my mouth out.

The fleecy fabric on the inside around those little ventillation holes does eventually wear out (but it takes a couple years). And it does hold moisture a bit from your breathing, but it's not cold moisture.

http://www.rei.com/product/725708

I haven't really tried it biking, because well, I don't bike in the rain usually, and I have a tendancy to overheat when biking. So I start off wearing lots of layers and then once I get moving, all of them get stripped off and put in my pack. So I think I've got a softshell like outdoor research neck gaiter and a fleece cap from terry.

My wool Buff has been perfect for covering my face when it is cold out. Not to mention that there are a thousand different ways to wear it (balaclava, beanie, neck gaiter, etc.). It breathes, warms, and doesn't smell.

Axe murderer look is totally a trade UP, btw. Nobody will mess with a bike ninja.

yeah, I don't wear much under my jacket, but having a naked face in icey rain/wind really does hurt. I'll try one of those masks because the few times I rode with the gaitor it makes breathing hard/hot/clustrophobic and end up pulling it down under my chin anyways. Having an air hole probably would help.

rubywagon, where did you get your wool buff? I'm very big on merino wool (my gaitor is merino), so it would actually be good to have a buff, too.

I got mine from REI. The wool Buffs are much longer than the regular buffs, but I find that the extra length makes it easier to convert into a balaclava and keep my entire neck covered.

ETA: There are videos on YouTube that show the many different ways you can wear a Buff. I spent a good hour watching them. Fascinating.

I think you should get one or more of these!

http://www.tanga.com/products/graphi...size-fits-most

I am totally getting the red flame one for myself:
    http://d1np3q5ggw0og6.cloudfront.net...03ca9878e9.jpg
    Last edited by Cataboo; 01-23-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Am I the only one who feels strangled and claustrophobic when wearing a balaclava? Even one that has serious openings for the mouth. I end up pulling it down from my mouth most of the time. It is so weird, it's like it is affecting my other senses. I start to feel like I can't see or hear, either. It all goes away instantly when I push it down.
    I usually end up wearing just a good fleece beanie that covers my neck and if I have to, a neck gaitor.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport