Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Another saddle question...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I hope this is the right forum for my question. I need some suggestions for a new saddle. Unfortunately, I have some special needs when it comes to saddles. Years ago I had a spinal fusion (L5) and in order to get into an aero position, I have to rotate my hips forward - I cannot bend my back at all. In that position, my sit-bones do not touch the saddle - all my weight is on the pelvic bone. I can tolerate that, but I cannot tolerate the pressure on the "girly parts".

So the saddle must have
    (1) a somewhat wide (~2 inch max) and flat padded nose to spread the pressure on the pelvic bone
    (2) a flat surface overall
    (3) a cutout to prevent the "girly parts" from being compressed
    (4) a long rail so I can position the saddle as far forward as possible (I am very short waisted)

Any suggestions?

Take a look at the Gear and Accessories thread down below. There is a really helpful section on saddles. I suggest you take a look at some triathlon saddles they are made specifically for being aeroed or in the drops. Also take a look at the Selle Italia Diva or Max flite, long rails, huge cutout and padded on the pelvic area. Those are just a few I have tried and can recommend. Good luck hope that helps!
    2009 Specialized Roubaix pro/SMP lite 209
    2010 Trek 4300/Specialized ariel 155

I found the SI Diva Gel Flow to have a much wider and longer cutout over the SI Lady (LDY) Gel Flow... The Diva sounds like it might be a better option to try. Do you have a LBS that will allow you to try saddles out?

Sounds to me like you just described ISM saddles.

I like the Typhoon (picture above) or Century. Nice and soft! and a little bit wider than the more popular ISM models.

You lean forward onto the aero bars, pubic rami supported on the front 2 cm or so, everything else either in between or off the front of the saddle "prongs".

Like lots of saddles, doesn't work for everyone, but when riding the aerobars, these are loved by many.

Edited to add the web site: http://www.ismseat.com/index.htm

'09 Trek 7.3 FX hybrid / Jett 155mm
    '09 Cervelo P3 TT / looking
    '11 Cervelo S3 road / Selle Royal Seta 155mm
    Ischial tuberosities: 140mm center to center

I was about to suggest the Adamo saddles!

I've had patients who had very good results with these saddles. They are certainly worth a try.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

My husband got the Adamo century and loves it, I was going to suggest it but it will initially put extra pressure on your sit bones when getting used to it. The set up which you can watch on you tube is important and they suggest you limit your rides at first.
    2009 Specialized Roubaix pro/SMP lite 209
    2010 Trek 4300/Specialized ariel 155

Thanks for all the replies. In no particular order, here are my responses:

- I did go through all the saddle threads before I posted here. I took notes as I read along and listed the Selle San Marco Aspide Glamour FX, the Selle Italia Diva Gel, and the Bontrager Inform RXL as possible candidates. I was hoping to maybe add more to my list, or delete one or more, so as to minimize the expense of ordering/testing/returning saddles. (There are a few bike shops in town, but they don't carry much in the way of women's gear - I'll have to get any new saddle online.)

- As I mentioned in the original posting, I do have my current saddle pushed as far forward as possible. The main reason is to have my knees directly over the BB spindle. I've had several knee surgeries and this position is the only one that prevents extreme knee pain (i.e., I have to spin as opposed to mashing the pedals). In addition, I have a short stem (80mm) to accommodate my short torso.

- The suggestion of the Adamo/ triathalon saddle led me to a web page that mentioned that tri saddles have more supportive and better padded noses - that sounds like what I need! I'll have to investigate these saddles further. Thanks for referring this class of saddle to me, I don't recall any mention of these in the forum's saddle threads and I was unaware of they existed.