Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My new touring bike!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I finally made a decision and put a deposit down on my new touring bike, a 2011 Rocky Mountain Sherpa!!!

I considered most of the usual suspects when I was shopping, and they were all good bikes. I chose the Sherpa because my favorite LBS is a Rocky dealer. The only bummer is that I have to wait until MAY(!!!) to get my new bike

In the meantime, I'm shopping for the racks, panniers, etc. to make this bike a dream touring machine!
    2010 Scott Speedster Limited/Bontrager Inform RL
    2008 Cannondale Rush 2 Feminine/Terry Butterfly
    2005 Cannondale F400/Terry Butterfly

Oh wow! You must be so excited! She's lovely!

Any tours planned yet?
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

That's a nice looking bike!

You're waiting until MAY!? I'm waiting for a package coming by Media Mail and it is making me crazy impatient!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I have read quite good things about Sherpa touring bikes on a LHT email list I belong to, congratulations! You have as long to wait as I do for my Gunnar (for different reasons), we can encourage each other to be patient

Lovely bike!!! May will be here before you know it!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

redrhodie: I do have a tour planned for this summer. I talked my DH and all of my in-laws (mom, dad, 2 SILs, and BIL) into touring from Jasper to Banff along the Icefields Parkway this July. I am SUPER excited!!! DH and I have also talked about doing a longer tour (maybe Vancouver, BC to San Diego, CA) when I finish my PhD.

malkin, Catrin, and maillotpois: Thanks! I'm impatient, but trying to look on the bright side of things. May is quite far away, but it's so cold and snowy here that I wouldn't be able to ride a bike right now anyway.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    SOOO exciting! That's one beautiful steed!! I'm with you- waiting until May will feel like a kid waiting on Christmas to get here. SO far away!

Have you thought about what kind of panniers/accessories to get? I get so excited seeing others build up their dream bikes- almost like I'm getting one, too (without the bill to go along with it).
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Did you order the 47cm Ambikes? I was keeping an eye out waiting to see if you were going to do it! I look forward to May now too.

Here is a picture of my Sherpa before I took off the panniers and racks and put her away for the winter. The pink fenders were left on.
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/attac...1&d=1295307060
    I received a pair of front Ortlieb panniers (as a gift to myself) this past holiday. Preparation and anticipation are such a tease.
    How wonderful for you to already have a tour planned.
    Last edited by wnyrider; 06-23-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Very, very nice!!

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Tri Girl: My DH actually bought me front and rear panniers for Christmas. I chose Ortlieb front and back rollers, and he chose the color (bright yellow!) so that it would still be some sort of surprise. I'm looking at racks right now. I think I want to go steel for those too, but I haven't made any decisions past that. I'm also trying to decide what I absolutely need vs. what I want. I'm not a big person, so I am trying to be careful with gear to keep the weight of the bike + stuff down (without sacrificing too much durability!). I know from my experience backpacking that if I buy it, I will feel obligated to use it!

wnyrider: Thanks again for your help in the other thread. I did end up ordering a 47 cm to get the appropriate TT length. The shop actually had a 2010 Sherpa in the 50 cm size, and it was quite obviously too big. The whole experience actually reinforced my love for my LBS. When I was road bike shopping, a different LBS put me on a bike that was a size too big and tried to tell me that it wasn't too big and that we could make some adjustments that would make it more comfortable. It turned out that they were just trying to clear out last year's stock to make room for the new stuff. Putting me a a too big bike to clear out stock was never even an option at my LBS, which makes me feel good about spending my money there.

I love the fenders! What kind of racks do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by wnyrider View Post
    Did you order the 47cm Ambikes? I was keeping an eye out waiting to see if you were going to do it! I look forward to May now too.

Here is a picture of my Sherpa before I took off the panniers and racks and put her away for the winter. The pink fenders were left on....
    This is just beautiful! I find myself a bit leery about getting a front rack for my LHT, but that is likely just from my overall lack of riding experience. By the time I am actually ready to do any real touring with my touring bike, it shouldn't be an issue.

Wow, I'm so glad they are bringing back a classic and classy looking Sherpa! Fantastic! Congrats on your new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambikes View Post
    ...What kind of racks do you have?
    The racks are both Jandds-- Extreme front and Expedition rear. Please note, I did have to buy 12" rack extenders for the rear. The 8" ones that came with the purchase of the rack were too short. I don't know if you will find this adaptation necessary when you select your racks or with your smaller size or not, but I figured I would share it with you.

We're one more day closer to May!

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I find myself a bit leery about getting a front rack for my LHT, but that is likely just from my overall lack of riding experience. By the time I am actually ready to do any real touring with my touring bike, it shouldn't be an issue.
    From what I've read, it's actually better to put some weight up front when you are touring with a heavy load. I guess it balances everything out or something. I don't have any personal experience with loaded touring yet, so I can't say for sure whether it's true or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambikes View Post
    From what I've read, it's actually better to put some weight up front when you are touring with a heavy load. I guess it balances everything out or something. I don't have any personal experience with loaded touring yet, so I can't say for sure whether it's true or not.
    This is very true. In preparation for a long self-supported tour, DH and I did a two-day shakedown tour with our equipment. I had purchased a set of large rear panniers (Arkel), and filled them with the approximate weight of what I'd need to carry on the long tour. My bike handled really poorly b/c all that weight was on the back. I did have a front handlebar bag, but that wasn't enough to balance the back weight. There were times when I was going up climbs that my front wheel wanted to lift right off the road -- definitely unsettling! And there were other handling issues I don't really recall now (this was in 2004).

In any event, I sent back the large panniers and ordered two sets of smaller panniers, along with a front rack. This was a much, much better setup, though more expensive. In fact, the research I did after our shakedown indicated that if you are only going to use one set of panniers, they should be on the front (not huge ones, of course). I wish I still had the web page, b/c it showed all sorts of pannier configurations and made recommendations based on how much gear you needed to carry.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow