Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Little Red Riding Hood - June 4th, 2011

To disable ads, please log-in.

Sneak peek at the plans being made for Little Red Riding Hood 2011.

They are hoping to open registration on February 7th.

LRRH registration now open!

Woo hoo! I just registered. Here is the link:

http://www.active.com/cycling/lewist...ding-hood-2011

Last year registration filled up in 29 days so don't delay!

There's fewer than 200 spots left and the century is full already. This thing may fill up tonight.

They reached the limit of 3000 riders. Hope those of you who want to ride got in.

I registered last night. Then today I got an email from a friend (who had registered) and she said all 3000 spots filled in 29 hours.

The 100 was full, so I picked the 80.
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon

I just packed my bike in my car in preparation for driving to Logan, UT tomorrow for LRRH! Two friends are going with me. Their bikes get put up on the Yakima rack on top of the car. We are making a day of the drive there: lunch, stop at REI in SLC, etc...
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Jamis Dragon

Have a great time! A bunch of us did that ride a few years back, and a grand time was had by all. Great memories.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Heh. I was thinking about our Epic LRRH Adventure and I found the thread about it. I really enjoyed reminiscing.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=7176

Dang, I was about 20 lbs lighter back then.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

I have done the LRRH ride a couple of times before. The first year I did the 100, it was good. The next time it was so cold that I had full leg warmers and a jacket on, did the 60. I haven't been road riding much lately (lots of commuting tho) so I'm only doing the 50 this time.
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Jamis Dragon

For those who rode LRRH, what was your experience with riding behavior? I only did the 50 this year and I found things much mellower. Yes, still some clueless idiots that can't get the concept of riding on the RIGHT side of the road and only riding 2 abreast if it is safe to do so, but much less so than in previous years (didn't see any 7 abreast groups this year).

But on Facebook I read a lot of comments about very aggressive pacelines passing without warning, people pushed off the road, crashes, many riders blocking traffic, riding with iPods, etc. - generally very unsafe behavior all around. It's almost as if I rode a different event! Maybe the 50 mile route had just the right mix of riders, no total novices but no aggressive speed demons either. I don't know.

What did you observe this year?

I rode the 50 also and I thought the ride was mellower than the LRRH I did 2 yrs ago.

I rode it with a friend and we just rode the whole thing at a relaxed pace, averaging 12-13 mph.
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Jamis Dragon

Glad your ride was mellower too. I rode fairly slowly as well because my daughter's hips were hurting, but I enjoyed the more relaxed pace!

Two friends and I did the 100 mile and were amazed at the unsafe riding behavior. Many double paceline of "better than the rest of us" riders that didn't give a damm about road saftey. More than once we were pass by said pacelines calling car back to the rest of us, while they continued to ride in the middle of the lane. Our calls of car back were a waste of breath. Riders would continue to ride wherever they were and watch the car drive around them. Some I think, just didn't have a clue.

Many times the cars were forced into the oncoming traffic lane to pass. What really surprised me was police and sag vehicles that ignored this behavior and waited to pass around these rolling blockades like everyone else. Some of the riders definitely deserved a ticket!

The ride itself was once again wonderful. Great reststops, good route, well marked and perfect weather. It's just to bad some riders think they're above the rules.