Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Show me RED bikes! (with white details...)

I really need a community effort at this point.

After learning that Luna was no longer going to built my dream bike and seeing my deposit refunded, I walked straight into my favourite local bike shop to get things going on a new bike. I was not gung-ho on custom, I just wanted a bike that FITS and that was made with LOVE.

So a few hours of work later, I now know that I am ordering a Gunnar Sport bike, which will fit like a glove anyway, and I am down to picking the colour. There are a few stock colour options but they are not terribly attractive, and I'm thinking about getting a custom job done. (Hey, the frame will cost half the price it was supposed to cost me, so I can afford this now.)

I have seen a few bikes with a dark red colour and white stripes recently and thought that looked really neat, so I'm thinking about something like this (see attached, don't worry too much about shades of red in the image), but I'd like to see a few other red bikes before I make my mind definitively tomorrow night.

Can you show me some red ladies? Your own bikes? Bikes you love? I'm primarily thinking about steel bikes here, which tend to have more subdued designs, but I'm open minded, as long as it's inspiring!

Thank you SO much!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gunnar_candyapplered.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	12494  

My own little cannondale is red, white and black, somehow I think you can't go without black in a red and white bike.

But really, I think Willier has a very pretty design for their bike colors. Its a little swirled, very classy and sexy looking but not over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by alexis_the_tiny View Post
    My own little cannondale is red, white and black, somehow I think you can't go without black in a red and white bike.
    WOW. That bike is STUNNING. The only thing that would detract from that bike is the HUGE lock you'd have to carry along with you, then the guard dog for good measure, even then I wouldn't leave it alone for long!!
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

I love the idea of panels on steel bikes. Dark red with cream panels would be striking...

Quote Originally Posted by Becky View Post
    I love the idea of panels on steel bikes. Dark red with cream panels would be striking...
    Agreed.

This bike is one of my favorites, too:

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/photogallery8.htm

The bike belongs to a friend of mine and is to die for in person. The paint is pearlescent and just glimmers in the sun.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Oh my goodness! It's a good thing LeeBob rarely lurks TE anymore, if he sees that Kirk Frameworks site he'll chain me to the computer.

(I'm doing consulting work right now at an embarrassingly good hourly wage ...)

Enjoy designing your new red bike, Grog!

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Oooo....a paneled head tube like those Kirks have would be gorgeous!

If I ever get my ruby-colored steel Bianchi repainted, it's going to have panels....

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    I really need a community effort at this point.

<snip>

Can you show me some red ladies? Your own bikes? Bikes you love? I'm primarily thinking about steel bikes here, which tend to have more subdued designs, but I'm open minded, as long as it's inspiring!

Thank you SO much!
    Go to custom builder's sites and check out the various "paint gallery" or "owners gallery" sections. That may give you some ideas and inspire.

Here's the Seven paint gallery.

DH was smitten with some of the work done by Spectrum, and had his custom paint job modeled after one of theirs.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Have you checked the "archived colors" at the Gunnar website from the past 6-7 years? There might be something there to tweak your interest, or to give you an idea:

http://gunnarbikes.com/site/colors-a...chived-colors/

This is how I settled on the color for MY Sport - and there were 5-6 colors that I fell in love with I figured that if I had an infinite choice from an infinite number of colors that I would never make my mind up

Edited: The archived colors gives a few examples of different reds, more so than the red/white combination you are looking for. There are many reds to choose from their full palette of colors.
    Last edited by Catrin; 01-12-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Joe Bell (considered by many to be the best bike painter in the country) indeed does most if not all of the Kirk frames, and Kirks are amazing bikes in terms of quality if you can afford one. (Kirk used to work at Serotta in the early days and is an amazing fillet brazer, and really knowledgeable given his reasonably young age--he's early to mid 40's but has the framebuilding knowledge of someone much older).

I am so sorry, Grog, that I returned your deposit, but I am really shutting things down, as it is either do it now or commit to another full year of business-related expenses (e.g., lease, etc.. as well as my life's energy), and I just can't afford to. Also, my other job is now full-time, I don't think I am capable of (or want to) run Luna Cycles on some overtime fumes (believe me, you don't want a frame built on overtime fumes!), and it was clear to me I just wouldn't do right by you or any of the remaining customers in the queue by dragging out your orders with only partial attention over the next 6+ months, likely longer given how the current orders are finishing up. I really appreciate your order and trust in me, and hope you will know I wasn't just thinking of me when I returned the deposit.

It sounds like you've moved on, so I will quit wringing my wrists about this, and best of luck, and PLEASE feel free to bother me if you have ANY questions wrt to fit, geometry, paint, whatever with whatever company or builder you choose. I'm happy to help: margoconover@gmail.com

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    So this is your...blue road bike...will be a rainy day standbye, Grog?
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

THANK YOU everyone for your contributions! This is most inspiring. I really appreciate the Seven gallery in particular.

Catrin, I've read all about your Gunnar-getting adventures as I was searching the forum - what an exciting time! It sounds like your story will have a very happy ending ("and she rode happily in the sunrise...").

Luna, don't worry about it. I don't dwell on things for too long. It's really too bad because I was looking forward to a beautiful Luna, but I'll survive this one.

Shootingstar, in fact the blue bike is the opposite of a rainy-day bike. I never was able to properly put fenders on it. I'll keep it for training probably, but it will mostly be retired I'm afraid... We'll see.

I've got to turn something in tomorrow 6pm for the design, so I'll fiddle with it tonight after going through those galleries. Thanks everyone, I'll definitely keep you updated with pictures when the Big Day comes.

Grog, good luck on your Gunnar. You can also go to the Waterford site and look at the photo gallery. Or just google "red and white bikes" and click on images. You can also get ideas on designs. That's what I did when I was trying to decide on my bike and it helped me. Be sure to post pics when you get your bike! I can't wait to see it.

Margo, I understand where you are coming from and wish you the best but the selfish side of me wishes you were still building bikes. You did such a beautiful job. The bike industry won't be the same without your bikes.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme