Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clipless pedals=total frustration

To disable ads, please log-in.

Made the leap to clipless pedals. Crankbrothers Candies, with Specialized Tahoe shoes. I got the motion to get out of them down, but getting into them, I can do it about 1 out of 20 tries.
    I have the cleats with the circle on the right shoe. It's especially hard to get the right shoe in the clip. Left is a little better, I can get into that about 1 out of 10 tries.

Anybody got any tips? Or at least say, "It gets better, it really does."

I know with my pedals I can adjust the tension, which in turn adjusts the "looseness" of connection between pedal and cleat in the shoe.

Are you having trouble locating getting your foot into the correct position or the cleat going into the pedal?

Shannon
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

I had the same problem with Candies - I could unclip just fine but clipping in was was very difficult. I just switched to Speedplay Frogs. They're much easier to get in & out of. My LBS thought it might be difficult for me to adjust to the Frogs because they require entering & exiting from the back of the pedal. My long term experience with toe clips actually made the rear entry & exit feel natural since clips & Frogs require similar actions. I must say, though, that I've only used the Frogs on the trainer so far. I'm reserving final judgment until I've had a chance to use them on the road.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
    I know with my pedals I can adjust the tension, which in turn adjusts the "looseness" of connection between pedal and cleat in the shoe.

Are you having trouble locating getting your foot into the correct position or the cleat going into the pedal?

Shannon
    I think I'm getting my foot in the correct position, it's the second eyelet from the top, metal on metal, ok, step in. Takes about 20 tries.

I don't want to keep going through pedals. I'm trying to tell myself, these are the pedals I have, deal with it. I keep thinking when I get it I'll "get it", the light will come on. Hope so, cause I want to go riding!

I had the same problem, initially, with my SPDs. I did fiddle with the tension, though that didn't help much. It got better as time went on--I think it was a combination of practice and wearing the "newness" off the pedal/cleats.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Well, I told myself to put on my big girl panties and go out for a ride around my condo complex. I did and got the hang of clipping in. Then I practiced, "stop sign ahead, get ready to stop," and I fell! TWICE!!
    The falling came from getting ready to stop and not deciding what foot to unclip to plant on the ground.
    Since I figured out I push off with my right, it's left foot out, plant.

I'm a huge eggbeater fan. With Candies, you sometimes have to cut around the cleat position on the bottom of the shoe, you just need a little more clearance (assuming mt bike shoes).
    Also, I find it easier to clip in with a little bit of an upward (forward) motion.
    As far as falling, you could try one pedal at a time - put a platform back on the side you usually unclip first, and ride around with one clippless pedal for awhile, then put the other one on after you are used to the first side.
    It gets easier. I have trouble riding now without clipping in, my foot slides off the pedal.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

I'm new to clipless, too, with just 5 or so outside miles (in our apt complex parking lot when it was empty for the holidays - slow rides with tons of stops and starts to practice clipping in and out over and over again) and time on the trainer. I find clipping out is easy....but I'm sloppy about clipping in. I just don't get the right angle on the clip in - I'm not hitting the clip with the right part of my foot. Practice is what is definitely needed for me for that.

I found that I needed a "plan" for stops. My thought, and God only knows if it will work, is that I needed to develop a usual way of clipping out at stops. It seems to work if I'm coming up to a stop sign, etc. However, it will only be validated when I have to make a sudden stop. I even clip out the same way when using the trainer, with the hopes of developing a "normal action."

But clipping in - while I have the general mechanics of getting going down, I don't always clip in quickly like I would like. Again, practice, I suppose.

BTW - I use SPD cleats.

Good luck as you begin your journey with clipless. I hope it becomes easier and more intuitive for you. I admit being nervous about going out into traffic and stuff when I'm clipped in, so I'm rooting for you!
    200x Electra Townie 24D/Brooks B67

I use Candies pedals. The tension is not adjustable as it is on some other pedals, but they do sometimes have interference with the tread on the bottom of your shoes. I had one pair of shoes I had to cut a bunch of the tread off around the pedal or I had major problems clipping in, especially on the right. Very frustrating, I agree! The shoes I use now (Keen Commuter Sandals) I didn't have to cut at all; they work great with Candies.

Speedplay Frogs are very easy to get into and out of, but you shouldn't give up on Candies so soon; they are great pedals and will get easier and easier to use over time, assuming you aren't getting interference with the tread of your shoe.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Not certain what you are doing... but I know alot of newbies think they have to immediately click into the pedal upon taking off. I know I did that and it caused some crashes. Over the years, engaging the cleats has become natural. I just start pedalling without being concerned whether the cleat is engaged or not... most pedals, even something like egg beaters, can be ridden "on top", not clicked in, at least for a short while. Once you get some speed built up its usually as simple as just sliding your foot forward and "VOILA" pedal engaged!

Stopping takes some planning and practice but just know its best to disengage when you still have alittle speed going into the stop. It doesn't take much but once the bike is still, and then you disengage, balance is an issue. I have been able to pulled out of the pedal in time, but its usually a close call.

Remember, both feet don't need to be disengaged. I generally leave my left foot (it's different for people) clipped in and use my right to stop and start. On long rides, I may alternate to give the right leg a rest.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

I'm not fully comfortable with clipless pedals either. Road bike has the ones that are regular pedals on one side and clipless on the other. Mountain bikes does not and I do not think will ever have clipless. My problem is not clipping in, but unclipping the right foot, which is really bad because that is the one that I usually use to put down when I stop. I've even at times ridden with my left foot clipped in and right foot unclipped because of my fear of unclipping that foot. Don't have much of an issue unclipping the left foot. Maybe something with the tension? I don't know.

When I first got clipless pedals, I had to plan out my stops--"Okay, unclip at the twig/"Stop Ahead" sign, whatever...Unclip, apply brakes...Yay! I didn't fall over!"

My boyfriend's advice to me was to try riding with one regular shoe and one bike shoe (the foot you put down). That way, you get practice clipping in and out, but you still have the other foot to catch yourself. Didn't stop me from falling twice on my first time out with both feet clipped in, though.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Koronin View Post
    I'm not fully comfortable with clipless pedals either. Road bike has the ones that are regular pedals on one side and clipless on the other. Mountain bikes does not and I do not think will ever have clipless. My problem is not clipping in, but unclipping the right foot, which is really bad because that is the one that I usually use to put down when I stop. I've even at times ridden with my left foot clipped in and right foot unclipped because of my fear of unclipping that foot. Don't have much of an issue unclipping the left foot. Maybe something with the tension? I don't know.
    I regularly ride both road and mountain bike with clipless pedals. I use the same system for both bikes although different styles of pedals (awider platform on the MTBike). Especially mountain biking, I feel safer clipped in; with my feet secure. If I am going to crash, being clipped in generally makes little difference (ie it wasn't the pedals that caused the crash).

I always ride with my left foot clipped in and I disengage the right at stops. Over the years my right leg has become well developed and muscular. You do have to built up some strength to get out of pedals...however... if it is very difficult to disengage its most likely your cleat system isn't right for you. Personally I am afraid of SPD pedals while others love them. I think them difficult to use. I love my Time pedals but maybe someone else hates them. I also used Speedplays and Frogs (until it caused foot problems) and they are extremely easy to engage and disengage.

The real key is to NOT PANIC. Easy to say but when you finally relax it all becomes second nature. You just know if coming to a stop your foot is going to clip out. Or when you start its a matter of just pedalling first, then clipping in when you get some speed. Just tell yourself DON'T PANIC!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Getting pretty good at riding clipless. The biggest thing is not getting complacent and forget to clip out a foot when the stop sign is three feet away
    Next biggest thing is riding on some single track with them. Will have to go out to my favorite river trail and wear a lot of padding and take the BIG first aid kit! What a vote of confidence huh?
    I can't really tell the difference in the efficiency thing between clipless and pedals, but right now, as long as both wheels are turning and I'm upright, that's all that matters!

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam View Post
    I regularly ride both road and mountain bike with clipless pedals. I use the same system for both bikes although different styles of pedals (awider platform on the MTBike). Especially mountain biking, I feel safer clipped in; with my feet secure. If I am going to crash, being clipped in generally makes little difference (ie it wasn't the pedals that caused the crash).
    Agreed. I am terrified of mountain biking (and therefore rarely do it), but I definitely feel safer clipped in!