Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trying to Dress Warmly

To disable ads, please log-in.

I wrote back in Nov about leg & arm warmers. Santa bought me some but they certainly didn't keep me warm this week in 35 degree weather. I had on long underwear (top only), long-sleeve jersey, long biking pants, arm & leg warmers, gloves, balaclava, helmet (of course), gloves and a windbreaker. I only rode for approximately 16-17 miles but by the time I got home I was so cold I crawled into bed to warm up. It took me 2 hours to get warm.

Any clothing suggestions for me?

I swear by lots of merino wool. I usually have on a merino base layer (top & bottoms), light wicking turtleneck and warm wool sweater. Merino ski or snowboarding socks. Jeans (but you could substitute biking pants), and a windbreaker. If it is really cold (single digits to 20 or so below zero), I have a down sweater that fits under my windbreaker. I wear a merino buff as a balaclava and have a merino beanie under my helmet. Warm mittens and goggles completes the ensemble. I look a bit odd, but warmth is important.

Deb
    2016 Kona Rove ST (M/L 54) WTB Volt
    Camp Stove Green Surly Karate Monkey (M) WTB Volt
    Kona Dew Deluxe (54cm) Brooks B67-S

Wool.

Read the wool weenies thread.

Maybe consider an insulated vest - like the patagonia nano or micro puff.

Multiple layers of wool do the job. Definitely a merino wool baselayer, with sweaters on top (zippers are nice if you get overheated).

Wool glove liners are good, too. Definitely read the wool weenies thread. Lots of my sweaters came from thrift shops. Oh, and I do not worry at all about how I look in winter.

The big thing for me is a wool or other wicking layer next to the skin--including sports bra. I get cold even in summer (if it's a cool morning) without it. I add multiple layers on top of that between me and the jacket, depending on how cold it is. Arm warmers next to the skin, with whatever else piled on top of it. Leg warmers under a pair of lined nylon track pants (I tuck the right hem into my sock). I bought a pair of thermal tights, though I haven't really tried them out yet. Wool socks. Winter gloves, though I'm adding glove liners at some point.

Yeah, I look a little weird, but I'm okay with that.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

35 F is what, 1-2 deg. C? This is what I wear for those temps, good for an hours brisk ride:

top: shortsleeved wicking underwear or wool, winter softshell jacket
    bottom: bike shorts, PI Amfib winter tights
    head: helmet cap, pref. windproof, Buff or neck gaiter
    hands: lined XC skiing gloves
    feet: medium-weight wool socks, winter cycling boots

For rides longer than an hour I'd wear longsleeved wool and try not to get it too sweaty, and add a windproof vest.

This may not help much if you own very different clothing, but the principle is pretty simple - cover almost all exposed skin with a thin layer of wool or something wicking (i.e. not cotton), add windproof, heavy footwear and gloves, and keep your head warm.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

When it's that kind of temperature I wear:

Merino long-sleeved jumper, under a long-sleeved zip up cycling jersey, with a non-cycling sleeveless padded gilet over the top. I don't have a warm cycling jacket yet, but that seems to do the trick. Helmet (no buff yet), padded warm gloves, Terry cold-weather tights with Terry wrap skirt over, ordinary socks and cycling shoes. I have never yet come home cold.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

A wind blocking outer layer is really key. All the wool in the world won't keep you warm if the wind goes right through it to your skin. The nice thing about cycling is that it's so directional. You can have wind-blocking panels on your front, and leave the back open to vent sweat.

Plastic bags between your socks and shoes help a LOT (and really show how much of it is about the wind). If you normally wear thin socks during the summer, your shoes could be too small for you to wear thicker socks. Compressing your feet and toes even slightly will reduce circulation and make them colder than they'd be in lightweight socks.

Make sure whatever you wear around your neck is long enough that wind doesn't go down into your jersey.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    A wind blocking outer layer is really key. All the wool in the world won't keep you warm if the wind goes right through it to your skin. The nice thing about cycling is that it's so directional. You can have wind-blocking panels on your front, and leave the back open to vent sweat.

Make sure whatever you wear around your neck is long enough that wind doesn't go down into your jersey.
    I second this! If I'm wearing a wind breaker, I can wear fewer or less bulky layers. The wind makes a huge difference for me.

Subfreezing temps (I have yet to ride at less than 25 degrees) I wear knee high ski or snowboard socks over thin "liners" to help with wicking, tights, knickers, longsleeved wool undershirt with a collar to keep the wind from coming down my shirt, jersey and a windbreaker, ear warmer under my helmet, and gloves with a windbreaker outside and fleece inside. Generally, I'm always cold (Reynaud's Syndrome) but I sweat, too, so I'm very conscious about how I feel on any particular day, and not overdress so I keep the sweat to a minimum. Keeping the wind off has definately been the key for me.

Anything above freezing, I may just do tights or legwarmers with regular socks/shorts, longsleeved undershirt or shortsleeved w/arm warmers and a jersey.

More importantly for me is that I HAVE to me warm when I start. That may mean sitting in my car with the seat warmer and heater on, shoes off to warm my feet, putting my gloves and shoes up to the vents to heat the insides of them, getting dressed inside the car before I even open the door. If I'm cold to start I never warm up, but if I'm warm and dressed properly (all skin covered to the cold, but not necessarily bulky) when I start I'm fine. Im just not stopping for any breaks!!
    Jenn K
    Centennial, CO
    Love my Fuji!

Quote Originally Posted by jennk13 View Post

more importantly for me is that i have to me warm when i start. That may mean sitting in my car with the seat warmer and heater on, shoes off to warm my feet, putting my gloves and shoes up to the vents to heat the insides of them, getting dressed inside the car before i even open the door. If i'm cold to start i never warm up, but if i'm warm and dressed properly (all skin covered to the cold, but not necessarily bulky) when i start i'm fine. Im just not stopping for any breaks!!
    exactly!!!

I like wool (socks, gloves, headwear), but when it's that cold, I also tend to reach for things that are more windproof like wind vests (over top of a jacket with a windproof front), wind panels on tights and my skullcap, and neoprene. I'm going to sweat no matter what my base layers, so I need to stop that wind that will make my damp base cold. A neck gaiter or balaclava also does a lot, particularly if you can cover your mouth at least (and nose for descents) and still breathe normally.

Yes, start off warm. I don't use a heater, I lie down and stand up 20 times with one arm held up (switch arms halfway).
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

i also try for a combo of wool and "plastic" my showers pass raincoat goes over my wool long underwear and winter (padded) jersey.
    my wool glove liners underneath another pair of gloves.
    Wool socks under my shoes and waterproof booties.
    Melalvai, I'm going to try that warm up method.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I"m allergic to wool -- I can get away with the "nice" kinds in leggings if it's not actually touching my skin and there's a layer over it (I accidentally acquired a pair), but I'll start sneezin' and congesting ...
    Windbreakage and layers are critical for me. I've noticed that Ihave acclimated -- I don't need to wear as much as I used to. Still, I tend to overdress and I'll be four layers thick if it's below zero. It's gone to single digits this year but I was comfortable without ski goggles.
    The other thing I do when it's very cold is warm up before going out. Six minutes on the trainer works really well; a few crunches and jumping jacks if I'm in a hurry.
    And thirdly, circulation is rather important. I got these really cute lights to go on the fingers of my gloves -- but whatever finger it's on will be COLD. I suspect that the reason my hands *don't* get cold liek other folks' is perhaps because I only wear one glove on each hand, and I make sure my backpack straps aren't blocking circulation, too.

Those lights are great. Where did you get them/what are they called?