Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

My biggest problem with this is that whatever the motive (politics, crazy, etc) someone thought this was the right course. I have a lot of problems with handguns (report I read said this was one) due to my personal experience with a murder of someone and the shooters known problems with mental illness. If he was indeed known to be mentally ill how was he allowed a gun? Was it an illegal acquisition? Red/blue it doesn't matter, there are people on many sides who see little value in a life that doesn't agree with them. No one's difference in opinion from mine is even worth a slap let alone their life. Differences in opinion make the world one I enjoy, sadly not everyone can live this way which is just beyond my comprehension.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I heard that the weapon was a 9mm handgun, and was acquired legally, but I haven't really confirmed that.

Anyway, I'm also a Tucsonan, and today was a bit surreal for me. I work at a performing arts venue on the U of A campus, where we're just a few days into a 3-week run of the musical "Wicked." While the university did postpone today's scheduled basketball game, we took the "the show must go on" approach--patrons were a bit more subdued than normal, but I think were glad for the distraction, especially during the matinee (which started ~4 hours after the incident, when details were still unknown).

It was kind of uplifting, actually, to see perfect strangers talking about what had happened, times that they had met the Congresswoman, looking updates up on iPhones and Blackberries and sharing them with seat-neighbors at intermission.

I don't think Gabby Giffords has a mean bone in her body, and she is someone who really seems dedicated to her whole constituency, not just the ones who agree with her. I'm proud to have her as my representative, and I do hope we see her back in the House, though I'm sure she has a difficult road ahead. My heart really goes out to the folks who lost loved ones today, especially that lovely little girl.
    '09 Jamis Satellite Femme | stock Jamis Road Sport -- road
    '08 Trek 7.2FX | Terry Cite -- commuter
    '77 Raleigh Grand Prix mixte | stock Brooks (vinyl) -- just for fun!

My heart goes out to all the families and communities changed and hurt by this, and especially to the families who have lost loved ones. I can't understand how someone felt a gun was the answer.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

After almost a day of reflecting on this and seeing pictures/hearing the stories of the various people involved on the news, it dawned on me why this feels so personal. The people who were injured or killed remind me so much of what I loved about Arizona... circa 1978 Arizona. Strong, independent politicians, smart people who often left the state to attend college and came back to serve the people in government, education, family businesses, farming. When I was in grad school the first time, I used sit and drink coffee every morning during the summer session, in the MU at ASU with Harry Mitchell, then the mayor of Tempe. But, he was also a social studies teacher at Tempe High School. Just a true model of selfless public service. I doubt something like that would happen today.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

All night long I was haunted by the quote of Giffords telling Palin the gunsight hit list map on Palin's website was dangerous and irresponsible to publish. Unstable people do get swayed by these things.

That's a woman with political experience and political sense.

(I'm grossed out by the hit list map. Across the top it says "We've diagnosed the problem... help us prescribe the solution." http://www.allgov.com/Top_Stories/Vi...sshairs_110108 )
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 01-09-2011 at 07:34 AM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    All night long I was haunted by the quote of Giffords telling Palin the gunsight hit list map on Palin's website was dangerous and irresponsible to publish. Unstable people do get swayed by these things.
    ...and unstable people can be just as easily swayed by Projective Identification.

This is a terrible thing that happened. Shall we blame Sarah Palin? Shall we blame It on Giffords response? None of us know...Bad things happen...let's stop looking for someone to blame. This all could be a sad irony, but either way, left and right agree that it is a terrible thing.

I'm very upset because this is an UNamerican outcome and an American tragedy.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Palin fan
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Again, not to politicize the board but I think what is not said enough in the health care debate is that mental health care is health care. Access to it is life saving. Sometimes we could save is the individual effected and in other cases many others.

If that's the case I hope he gets some care and finds some peace. He has changed the lives of many who died and even those who survived will never be the same.
    Trek, this is the most ironic thing I've read or heard in all the coverage of this horrific event. Thank you for posting this.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by channlluv View Post
    Trek, this is the most ironic thing I've read or heard in all the coverage of this horrific event. Thank you for posting this.

Roxy
    Well? In the health care debate when some (disclosure: that some include me) observe that people without health care tend to find, get diagnosed, get treatment later on and be in worse condition when care starts which costs us more .... we are not just talking about the cancer found at stage 4 instead of early when a lumpectomy will do.

We are and should be talking about mental health and what we pay for lack of access. And what we all paid yesterday, some with their lives.

It was over 25 years ago that I had a bout of deep depression. Somehow I managed to get the care I needed. I don't recall exactly how because at the time I did not have insurance or my insurance didn't include mental health. But somehow I did. I am thankful every single day that I got the care I needed.

Could this young man have been turned around?
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

My initial cycling destination today was the site of Congresswoman Giffords' office, where candles, flowers and messages have been brought, and people have come to reflect and share their feelings.

When I got home from my ride, my brother-in-law called to tell me my photo was on the cover of the NY Times (www.nytimes.com). You can tell it's me- I'm in a bike helmet....

I stayed for about 1/2 hour, just looking, thinking, and talking before going out for a little more private reflection time at Saguaro National Park.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

When will I ever learn? Upon reading that the Westboro Baptist Church, that paragon of Christian values, will be picketing the funerals of people shot in Tucson, I said, "No way! Even for them this is over the top. What is wrong with those people?" They showed up to the funeral of Randy Shilts, Elizabeth Edwards, our veterans .... why am I surprised?
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Quote Originally Posted by violetpurl View Post
    Another point - Palin wasn't the only one to put a cross-hairs on a map. The Daily Kos did it too, but you aren't hearing about it.
    Perhaps not to the same extent, but I did see the Daily Kos called out on this in an earlier story today. Don't remember if it was NYT or Huff Post or Wa Post, but I did see it.

For whatever reason, people pay more attention to Palin than Daily Kos, so that's probably why there's more focus on her now.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

Quote Originally Posted by badgercat View Post
    I heard that the weapon was a 9mm handgun, and was acquired legally, but I haven't really confirmed that.(
    Last night on ABC news, they said it was a semi-automatic Glog (?? I know nothing about guns so that may be the wrong term) and was indeed obtained legally a few weeks ago by the shooter.

I could say a lot about that, but I will bite my tongue.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by violetpurl View Post
    Another point - Palin wasn't the only one to put a cross-hairs on a map. The Daily Kos did it too, but you aren't hearing about it.
    That's not true. I don't recall where, but I've seen it.

It's not accurate to say that conservatives are being blamed for this. I've seen the question raised about the effect of inflammatory radio and TV personalities, but all reports I've seen make it clear that the alleged shooter is impossible to categorize.

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Last night on ABC news, they said it was a semi-automatic Glog (?? I know nothing about guns so that may be the wrong term) and was indeed obtained legally a few weeks ago by the shooter.

I could say a lot about that, but I will bite my tongue.
    Not sure of the spelling; Glok, Gloque? Glock? Semi Automatic with extended clip (room for extra rounds). I'm all for self defense, the right to arm bears etc but this is not on the order of "I'm just keeping this in case someone breaks in one night to steal my commuter bike"

BTW I was wrong about it being elderly gents who restrained the shooter. This is a great tragedy and yet could have been much worse but for a woman who had been shot and yet disarmed him: and the two gents who tackled him afterwards.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_806434.html
    Last edited by Trek420; 01-09-2011 at 04:30 PM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Okay, I've gotta say it.

Let's assume the equivalencies were true.

On what planet is that relevant?

"They're doing it too-oo" wasn't an excuse for leaving my toys lying around when I was three, and it certainly isn't an excuse for adults inciting to murder.

What happened to personal responsibility?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler