Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry1976 View Post
    She was trying to do the work of a good congresswoman - being out there with those whom she represents. How many congressmen do this? Mine sure doesn't.
    Mine does! And we in his district sure appreciate it. Whenever congress is out of session he is right here holding public meetings, listening to his constituents. I've never gone but mean to someday.

We need that kind of discourse in a Democracy I think. Not just between rep and constituent but between the people themselves.

With an event like this will he and others continue?

I now hear per MSN she is alive, responding to some verbal commands, still under anesthesia. And her husband has arrived there by NASA jet.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

This reminds me too much of the gunman (inspired by Beck and O'Reilly) who went to a Unitarian church's childrens' service to kill religious liberals. (and succeeded)

I don't recall Jesus advocating murder...
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 01-08-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I don't know if this is correct but it's being reported that 4 elderly men took the automatic weapon armed 20 something gunman down

Go elderly men!! My heroes.

Following this on the boob tube. While there's no telling what went on in the mind of this obviously very troubled young man early indications are that he's very disturbed and might not so much a politically motivated. The Congresswoman's office was vandalized recently in response to her position on health care (for it). But it may well turn out that this was the action of a very troubled individual.

Again, not to politicize the board but I think what is not said enough in the health care debate is that mental health care is health care. Access to it is life saving. Sometimes we could save is the individual effected and in other cases many others.

If that's the case I hope he gets some care and finds some peace. He has changed the lives of many who died and even those who survived will never be the same.
    Last edited by Trek420; 01-08-2011 at 03:01 PM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

How true.
    This is bothering me more than I care to admit. I know part of it is that I still feel like I'm a "Zonie" in some respects. But part of me is thanking G-d I made the choice to move back here, where I can be in my little blue state bubble.
    The other part that bothers me is that I have relatives who probably are cheering...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    While there's no telling what went on in the mind of this obviously very troubled young man early indications are that he's very disturbed and might not so much a politically motivated. The Congresswoman's office was vandalized recently in response to her position on health care (for it). But it may well turn out that this was the action of a very troubled individual.
    Yes, from everything I've seen so far, it sounds like the gunman was probably paranoid schizophrenic. He talks politically, but it's generic railing against the government, thought control, etc. He thought the government could read his thoughts...stuff like that. Knowing that he is mentally ill is a somewhat of a relief to me. Sounds like maybe any government official could have been his target, and not specifically a progressive Democrat. Maybe she just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, in a public space, where he could have access to her and quell the monsters in his head.

A terrible, terrible day. I was on Twitter most of the afternoon, and all the early reports said that she died. I am so very glad that she is alive and may actually survive this, but it's so terribly sad that others died.

ABC devoted their entire newscast to this tragedy tonight - a good choice.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    The other part that bothers me is that I have relatives who probably are cheering...
    How horrible! I seriously can't imagine that anyone would be so cruel or callous. I hope that you are wrong.
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post

A terrible, terrible day. I was on Twitter most of the afternoon, and all the early reports said that she died.
    Recently our State Representative died of cancer. What was sad was days before he actually died, rumors were flying saying he had already died.
    200x Electra Townie 24D/Brooks B67

Emily, this is why I have cut off all contact with them, despite the fact they are my only links to my mom, who died about 15 years ago and they live near me. I *hope* they aren't cheering, but they are gun toting rabid right wingers, who get the gospel from talk radio. One of my cousins is not quite as conservative, but he got super religious, which caused other issues. I've been reading Facebook posts from my friends in AZ (Phoenix area) and they are all really upset.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Emily, this is why I have cut off all contact with them, despite the fact they are my only links to my mom, who died about 15 years ago and they live near me. I *hope* they aren't cheering, but they are gun toting rabid right wingers, who get the gospel from talk radio. One of my cousins is not quite as conservative, but he got super religious, which caused other issues. I've been reading Facebook posts from my friends in AZ (Phoenix area) and they are all really upset.
    I read your posting on the other thread, about your family, and I totally get it. We have a couple in my husband's family who are like the ones you speak of in your family...but I am positive they are not cheering tonight.
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    How horrible! I seriously can't imagine that anyone would be so cruel or callous. I hope that you are wrong.
    Giffords was on the Congressional LGBT Equality Caucus.

There is a lot of cruelty and callousness in this world. Be grateful you've never had to face it. There are people who cheer "God's Success" whenever a gay or gay-seeming child kills himself. There are people who tell the children of gay parents that God and Jesus want them to kill themselves (my minister's children were told this by two of their teachers in public school.)

It's ugly in the real world, and far too few people give a damn.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 01-08-2011 at 03:57 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I think if any good can come of this is if learn to tone it down especially the hate. For one thing you never know who it will incite. So I think right now you can hear from Alaska a relieved "whew".

We may find out the suspect (innocent till proven ...) is nucking futs; not right or left or fundamentalist or any 'ist just nucking futz.

Say he wasn't (although by definition shooting unarmed helpless people including children .... nucking futz) but say he got his motive from either Red or Blue .... we'd have mayhem and chaos in this country.

And for a moment today I think we came close.

People please if you want to target someone you disagree with target them for lunch, target them for "I'm gonna invite you out for a beer and conversation", "I'm targeting you for a bike ride or at least the recovery beverage".

We hate and fear the unknown.
    Last edited by Trek420; 01-08-2011 at 04:10 PM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

I am speechless, this is the first I heard of this terrible event. I do not understand how anyone can ever think that murdering people you do not agree with is the answer.

Knotted, my jaw dropped when I read what was said to your ministers children...

How about some sympathy for Judge John Roll, too.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

We heard about this on our way home from checking on a couple of housing communities. We're just starting to look at possibly buying a home. We had a sports radio channel on and they mentioned a college basketball game being postponed due to a mass shooting. We were like WHAT? Our thoughts and prayers go out to all the families of those who were injured and died.

Thank you all for your comments and concerns. I really believe Gabby Giffords exemplifies the best qualities of an elected representative. I am heartsick over the extent of the tragedy and the injuries and loss of innocent lives. No matter what- if Gabby pulls through, her life will be irrevocably impacted.

Although the shooter seemed to be unbalanced, some of his postings refer to topics such as returning to a currency backed by gold and silver- currently in vogue among some of the more extreme voices out there.

No matter what one's politics are- civil discourse is essential for solving our problems. In this age of the 24 hour news cycle - we need those in the media to distinguish clearly between fact and opinion, and political leaders to actively speak up against threats or intimations of violence - and not to condone or turn a blind those who espouse violence against those they disagree .

It has been a very sad day in Tucson
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143